Hi all,

I'm planning to put EMG active Pickups in my Gibson LP standard. ( if you think this is a bad idea, say so!)

I'm fixed on having the EMG 81 at the bridge and i'm stumped on whether i should put an EMG 60 or an EMG85 at the neck.

Can you guys help me out here?
say goodbye to your clean tone.
3 Strats
1 Tele
1 Hot Rod Deville 4x10
1 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4
1 Big Baby Taylor
I think the LP has one of the greatest tones of all guitars. IMO EMGs tends to make every guitar sound the same, and that would waste the LP's potenial. However, i don't like EMGs in the first place so im really not the best person to give advice here though :P

Btw, EMGs are best paired with tube amps since their high output pushes the amp more and gives more gain. If you have a solid state amp on the other hand the high output often makes your tone more fissy since SS amps doesn't overdrive the same way as tube amps.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
i'm changing it because my current stock gibson pickups are seemingly going to hell.

So are you saying that i should get gibson pickups for my LP?
It doesn't have to be gibson pickups, check brands like Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan for example. Im not sure of exact models but try searching the forum for metal and high-gain pickups (I guess thats what you want if you are thinking of EMGs). Though if you like the sound of EMGs that may be what you should get since it's all a matter of personal preference. What amp have you got anyways?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
get some blackouts!

or bareknuckles! both good!
Last edited by Amitio at May 23, 2008,
i'm actually looking for something that sounds like the stock gibsons i have now, but even better.

would the gibson brustbucker be better than my stock gibsons?
Yeah, but I'd go with Bareknuckles if were you. They get fantastic high gain tones, but don't sounds as sterile and lifeless and EMG's, and you can get a decent clean tone from them.
Nah man, don't put EMG's in a Les Paul. That's just wasting the sound of a quality instrument. I'd go with DiMarzio, personally.
Quote by FeastYourEyes
say goodbye to your clean tone.

negative

I have the 81/85 combo and I get great cleans with BOTH pickups.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by treflip
Yeah, but I'd go with Bareknuckles if were you. They get fantastic high gain tones, but don't sounds as sterile and lifeless and EMG's, and you can get a decent clean tone from them.

Bareknuckles also cost $400 for a set if you're in the US.

There's other custom pickups made in the US that are just as good and a lot cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Bareknuckles also cost $400 for a set if you're in the US.

There's other custom pickups made in the US that are just as good and a lot cheaper.

Actually you can find them for $300 a set
Go to Dimarzio or Seymour Ducan site and go look at the moderate output pups.

If you really want the sound of EMGs stay passive and get Dimarzio D'activators.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Actually you can find them for $300 a set

From where? A set directly from them cost $400 + Shipping.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
From where? A set directly from them cost $400 + Shipping.

**** I knew if i waited to long they would up the prices lol.. Just checked and they went up... http://elderly.com/brand/PUE_bare%20knuckle.html The warpigs were going for $150 a piece. But either way $200 and free shipping and there out of the US. Also Nailbombs are going for $179.00
dont listen to people who talk trash about emg. kills clean tone ok, but you dont get emg's for playing clean wtf.. who the hell does that? pointless. actually lower volume knob on the guitar almost all the way and you get a clean tone. 60 has less gain, so 85 is good for the muddy rhythm for bluesy stuff. james hetfield uses 60 rofl. 60 is better if you are going to play clean................
wtf i dont get that..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
dont listen to people who talk trash about emg. kills clean tone ok, but you dont get emg's for playing clean wtf.. who the hell does that? pointless. actually lower volume knob on the guitar almost all the way and you get a clean tone. 60 has less gain, so 85 is good for the muddy rhythm for bluesy stuff. james hetfield uses 60 rofl. 60 is better if you are going to play clean................
wtf i dont get that..

Emg's are great but there are better pickups example Bareknuckles..
Pretty much here is my break down..
Bareknuckles-->Emgs-->the other stuff

Also I'm a Emg Owner, have the 18v mod, even have extra emg's laying around the house just in case i pickup another guitar and after all that Emg's still are not the end all pickup in my book...