Page 1 of 5
ok so recently i read an article in decibel magazine on the top-20 death metal guitarists in the world, and they put trey azagthoth(spelling) from morbid angel in the first place. i truly think that trey is a good guitarist, but the best on the planet? who do you guys think?
personally i would go with Dave Suzuki from vital remains. he is so young and so ****ing talented! his solos just gets under your skin, and the melodies makes you feel like satan himself is crawling down your spine!
sorry to give the generic answer but - muhammed.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Paul Waggoner. Between The Buried & Me (I know, not true death metal, but they dabble)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Dave Suzuki, Muhammed and Chuck Shuldiner
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dancesisidance
Paul Waggoner. Between The Buried & Me (I know, not true death metal, but they dabble)

Not really enough, man.

Sanders for his use of texture. Suicmez for general technicality. Pat O'Brien for technical riffage. Erik Rutan... just generally.
... Chuck Schuldiner?

Best one I've heard, anyway. I don't listen to too much death metal.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
... Chuck Schuldiner?

oh i know that i will be hated for saying this but... i don't particularily like chucks style, and i find him somewhat (gulp).....overrated.....
paul allender from cradle of filth (dunno, do that count?)
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Quote by blommen
oh i know that i will be hated for saying this but... i don't particularily like chucks style, and i find him somewhat (gulp).....overrated.....

a-men
the guitarist from burzum is very good dont know his name tho
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by pix_dement

I'm pretty sure they aren't death metal. Or even any good, IMO.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
... Chuck Schuldiner?

Yeah, he's my favourite too, though he was probably asking about the alive ones... I dont listen to death metal other than death really.
Dave Suzuki, that man is ridiculously good.

Though I personally prefer Brian Eschbach and John Kempainen from BDM.
Quote by pix_dement

No.

Oh, and Nergal's riffs rule.
Quote by mafropetee
I'm pretty sure they aren't death metal. Or even any good, IMO.

have you heard pauls latest work on the phornography album, it's pretty good.
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
James Murphy from Obituary, Testament, and Death is highly underrated, or it seems to me cause no one mentions him. Just listen to the solo in Obituary's Cause of Death (one of the best, if not the best, DM solo(s) imo)
Kelly Shaefer from Atheist is brilliant
Paul Masvidal for Cynic and being so damn cool
Muhammed Suicimez for technicality
Fred Thordendal for using 8 string guitars with crazy time signatures
Joe Haley from Psycroptic for some of the most brutal, technical, and awesome riffing ever.

P.S. Imo Chuck Schuldiner was not one of the best guitarists. One of the best death metal musical composer yes, but guitarist no. He was still pretty good of a guitarist though.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Meh those lists are always stupid. Of course no one is ever satisfied with them. They didn't have Jack Owen, Rand Burkey, Pat Obrien, Jason Goelbe, Paul Masvidal, Ralph Santolla or Dallas Toller Wade. I also think Mike Torrao and Larry LaLonde should have made the list since they were both very influencial to DM.
Chuck Schuldiner. Maybe not technically speaking, but his solo's and music in general just seem so much more deep and meaningful then your average death metal band (say Cannibal Corpse for instance). Not that I don't like them, it's just that Chuck is on another level in my opinion. And yes, he is a little overrated because he is dead, but give credit where credit is due. He is one of the founders of death metal, he is the one who revolutionized it with the Human album, and he generally seems like a cool down to earth guy.
Quote by slayerific
Meh those lists are always stupid. Of course no one is ever satisfied with them. They didn't have Jack Owen, Rand Burkey, Pat Obrien, Ralph Santolla or Dallas Toller Wade. I also think Mike Torrao and Larry LaLonde should have made the list since they were both very influencial to DM.

hellooo! thank you!
i love muhammed's guitar playing, not only from a technical standpoint, but also a creative one. i mean he is not the most creative by any stretch, but i love listening to it.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I'd have to say, Muhammed Suicmez (surprise surprise), Karl Sanders (really unique), Nergal (blackened death \m/) and Dave Suzuki (amazing lead playing throughout whole songs, not just solos)

EDIT: actually, just look at my 'favorite guitarists' section on my profile, they're all DM
Last edited by \m/Gaz at May 23, 2008,
Lack of Leon Macey makes me sad.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Pat O'Brien and Muhhamed Suicmez for technicality.

Marten Hagstrom & Fredrik Thordendal for tone.

Mikael Akerfeldt for versatility.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Pat O'Brien and Muhhamed Suicmez for technicality.

Marten Hagstrom & Fredrik Thordendal for tone.

Mikael Akerfeldt for versatility.

Crap! I forgot Mikael! I am teh retardationz!
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Chuck Schuldiner, James Malone, Nergal

Muhammed is great, technically, but his creativity leaves something to be desired.
Last edited by Dust_and_Guilt at May 23, 2008,
James Murphy for pure technical win, but he does a lot more than just "death metal."
But from Death, to Obituary, to Disincarnate, and Testament, always top notch stuff.

I don't consider Akerfeldt a "death metal" guitarist, but if he is, then he's right there too.
Chuck and 'Hammed. Nuff said.

Quote by destroy_techno
Mikael Åkerfeldt, Paul Masdival, Luca from Illogicist, Ron Jazombek, Luke Jaeger, Muhammad Suicmez, Pat O'Brien, Thordendal, Nergal, Sandars, Azagthoth, Rutan... The list goes on

Ron's a prog metal guitarist, bro.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
the guitarist from burzum is very good dont know his name tho

His name is Varg Vikernes and Burzum is Black Metal.

I'm gonna have to go with Muhammed Scuizmez (Necrophagist) , Chuck Schuldiner (Death) , and John Gallagher (Dying Fetus)
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by destroy_techno
Prog death metal

Listen to Amnesia, if you have the album

Definitely death metal

Fair enough. That song really does have death influences.
Page 1 of 5