I have a $9.99 cheapo and when I try to record infront of my cab or vocals the result is major loss in clarity and too much bass. Does anyone know of any mics that would do a better job at recording instruments/vocals that could also be run into a PC? Preferably cheaper than $100

Thanks.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Thanks for the reply, do you have actual experience with it? I did some research and came across this one:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11035340

A professional violinist said it had amazing quality and Sony's site offers it refurbed for like $40 off.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
I have had experience with the non-USB version and love it. To be honest though, you'll probably be better served with a $200 budget and an interface/microphone combo, perhaps an ART dual pre, with a condenser for vocals and a SM57 for guitar. As for your microphone, it's meant for more ambient sounds, not miking a guitar amp or vocals.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 23, 2008,
$200 is a little steep since I am not making a serious band until I finish my schooling. I don't have to crank my amp too much to get the sound I want (SS) and am seriously considering trying the first one you suggested. A dynamic is just important to take like high sound pressure levels, right? If I don't need to have my amp at full volume to get the tone I want, would the C01U work fine? I was just about to order it because I know it will blow away anything I've ever used before, but now I'm wondering if it can handle the volume I play. I get amazing tone out of my rig in my 15'x20' (guestimatation) room with it cranked just loud enough for it to be uncomfortable to be in the same room. Prob putting about 100 watts or so through my 4x12". I thank you for your advice though. It is much appreciated.
The CO1U has Softpre that can reduce the gain of the microphone. Still, I'd go for a CO3U, which has an easy to adjust -10db pad which would handle your guitar without a sweat, and its multiple patterns could give you a good bit of versatility. Here's a few reviews on USB microphones which makes recording easy, at the sacrifice of some flexibility.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Nice. Thanks.
Well my CO3U arrived today... unfortunately, my Dean from Hell remains in its case because my strings never ****in came from Musiciansfriend, so I could only test it with my 120 dollar Vendetta with stock pickups. I am still very pleased with the result. I recorded a little classical-sounding piece (no clue on the actual song but I've heard it before). Let me know what you guys think

http://www.myspace.com/anotherrustedscrew
Nice playing, and it's very clear. Feel free to crank all levels up and add compression so there's a greater presence, and try out the different patterns for fun (for instance cardoid can add presence aka bass by moving it closer).
Quote by keiron_d