I've got a Crate V32 and its about two years old. I'll be playing and everything will be fine and then randomly the volume drops about 30% im fairly certain that this is a sign that I need new tubes, but i thought id check with the fine folks of UG just to make sure. Am I right? anything else it could be?
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Yes, new Power Tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
definatly a tube problem, you probablyhad a few small warnings, now it has gotten worse right?
Cream fan club member #11.
Yeah there were a few weird things that it would do once or twice but those all stopped awhile ago.

Is it just the power tubes that need replacing or do I need to do the pre amp aswell?
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Well you may as well take this oppertunity to change the lot if you have the cash
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Can anyone estimate the cost of all this? the price of the tubes and the work to be done.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
^
depends, If i get a new set of power + pre amp tubes from tubedepot right now, it'd be $75 including shipping.

That's for JJ brand tubes btw
Do you know anyone more experienced in guitar, that could install the tubes for you?
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
^
why would you need someone else to install tubes? its just like putting in a new lightbulb.
^I wouldn't want him breaking them cause he doesn't know what he's doing.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by esp1234
^
why would you need someone else to install tubes? its just like putting in a new lightbulb.

Unless the amp is fixed bias it's most definitely not like putting in a new lightbulb. Maybe physically putting them in is, but biasing them is not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TechnicolorType
Screwing them is actually easier then a lightbulb.

Except for the fact that you don't screw them in...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless the amp is fixed bias it's most definitely not like putting in a new lightbulb. Maybe physically putting them in is, but biasing them is not.

Thats what i meant with the biasing, if it is fixed bias then im sure i can do it myself. How do I know if my amp is fixed? (please no testicle jokes to that last sentence)
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Before he goes changin his tubes, he might wanna check out to see if he is getting clean power.