hey guys.
i need a little help with a project i'm doing for school

I'm doing a History Fair project on the most influential guitarists in every decade, dating all the way back to the 40's.
The list could be endless, of course, but I'm trying to find some key players that really drove the time period forward, and helped advance the guitar to what it is today.

What I mainly need help on is just making sure I don't forget anybody from any decades; no matter the style they play.

Any help?
Maybe some ideas to help make it easier, as well?

I appreciate it.
here's people that are famous and known to be very influential.

90's Tom Morello
80's .... too many to name, but Slash and EVH
70's EVH, Tommie Iomi
90's are a tricky time, it has to be on guitarists right? Then whats with tom morello, he has nothing to do with that instument.

60's Jimi Hendrix of course
My list thus far ranges from Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry, to SRV, Slash, Clapton, Santana, EVH, Bob Dylan, Satch, Vai, and even Elvis and J.Cash and Malmsteen. :P
Quote by Bluesman_22
90's are a tricky time, it has to be on guitarists right? Then whats with tom morello, he has nothing to do with that instument.
Aside from, y'know, playing it.
for the 40s and 50s, look up this list of legends (loads of 60s band stole these guys songs):
Muddy Waters, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Woodie Guthrie (bob dylan used to impersonate him), Robert Johnson... that'll get you started.

Also... Elvis!

60s:
-You have to say Eric Clapton, because there are about 6 women in the world who didn't want to marry him during the 60s. Ask your mum ^^
-But he's totally lame really, at least since he left cream so jimi hendrix took over the world towards the end of the 60s
-The biggest three bands were the beatles, the stones and the who. Pete townshend from the who was one of the few guitarists jimi took his band (the experience) to see.
-Keith Richards is undoubtedly the king of rhythm. He plays like a horn section in a soul band, using only 3 strings in harmony for the most part
-Keith played a tele because of chuck berry

70s:
-Jimi page, formerly of the yardbirds (eric claption, jeff beck + him) creates led zeppelin, which become the last cresecendo of rock music that comes from rhythm and blues
-The song rock'n'roll is an amalgamation of rock'n'roll music by the beatles (look for this one on youtube; there's an awesome version) and johnny b goode by chuckberry.
-PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC! These guys existed from the mid-60s onwards and were made up of some of the most awesome (and crucially, most wrecked) musicians of the time. George clinton stole bootsy collins from james brown after he tripped out on lsd on stage and thought his bass was a snake and ran off, then bootsy stole james' horn section

The 80s sucked. Unless you love heavy metal, the few great reggae and ska bands, or the much weirder bizarre homoerotic trance music, or the smiths.(Their guitarist, johnny maher, played a big gibson because of chuck berry; noel gallagher plays a big gibson because of johnny maher.)

The 90s were even worse, somehow, but we had oasis, who rinsed out the last of the life in the beatles and the stones (rather well, to be honest) and crucially, were the first lot of proper british lads to make a great band in ages.
And there's been almost no interesting new music in the last 8 years.

If you want any more help you can e-mail me:
my username at gmail dot com
you can put satch and petrucci around 90s too i think

80s you can say angus young

i dont know from when robert johnson, delta blues man who composed crossroads, around 40s too
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
60's - Eric Clapton/Hendrix
70's - Jimmy Page/EVH
80's - EVH/Brian May?
90's - Dimebag/Cobain
00's -

It will probably turn out in the '00s that Gates, or Ri will be the most well known and influential, although I'm hoping for Buckethead to take that place.

did any of you guys check out the latest GuitarWorld magazine?
Top 50 Fastest Guitarists. -- Any chance I should put them up, or should they just receive 'acknowledgment?'

You guys are more than helpful.

Anybody know any female guitarists?
Women are a rare breed in the music world. :[
Quote by Haksqeezy00
Top 50 Fastest Guitarists. -- Any chance I should put them up, or should they just receive 'acknowledgment?'

Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Quote by Jack_hertz92
Django Reinhardt look him up on wikapedia

He's a two fingered recken machine. Viva La Gypsie Jazz!
Feed your mind.
Quote by Haksqeezy00

Lita Ford.
40s is without a doubt Django Reindhart
50s probably Chuck Berry
60s Hendrix and Blackmore (or is he 70s?)
70s Jimmy Paige, Lifeson, EVH
80s Randy Rhoads
90s Dimebag
00s Petrucci?
Quote by GiantRaven
90s - Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain was a good guitarist, but you cant say he is one of the most influential of the decade. Since the 90s kinda blew away in to rap and Pop, its hard to say the bestones. But Merello defently did some crazy ****, as well as Dimebag.
Quote by jemocam
Kurt Cobain was a good guitarist, but you cant say he is one of the most influential of the decade.
Sure you can. There was this little musical movement called 'grunge,' see, that was midly popular...
Quote by Flying Couch
Sure you can. There was this little musical movement called 'grunge,' see, that was midly popular...

yes, and i enjoy listening to grunge, but some of the genres that came out of it didnt do to well.
I think you should define the guitarists by genre each decade or else it will be too difficult to narrow it down.
Anyway
30's - Robert Johnson
40's - Django Reinhardt
50's - Chuck Berry
60's - Hendrix
70's - Jimmy Page
80's - Eddie Van Halen
90's - Kurt Cobain
00's - Kinda tough since there hasn't really been enough time for them to influence anybody but I'd say John Butler, Matt Bellamy, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, John Frusciante are likely candidates.