Page 1 of 2
This is my first build! The body shape is a Fender Strat with slightly thinned down and sharpened horns. I got the neck from a pawn shop. It's maple with maple fret board. It was from a Harmony, but it feels nice and its in good shape.

It's going to have cream soapbar P90's and no pickguard. The body will either be dark metallic green or blue with chrome hardware and a hardtail bridge.

Here's the body template I'm using:

I just got the wood (alder) yesterday and I planed, jointed and glued it today:

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
hope that glued okay, seems like a pretty unreliable way to glue it, should have claped the middle down on something. going to put on any figured top? i think you might as well, you can't lose with some curly maple. looks like its gonna be rad.
cool body shape!
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
it doesn't look like it, but its clamped pretty well. Figured maple would be nice, but I'll save that for the next build. This one's going to be a solid color. I'll probably use automotive paint.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Quote by LP Addict
hope that glued okay, seems like a pretty unreliable way to glue it, should have claped the middle down on something. going to put on any figured top? i think you might as well, you can't lose with some curly maple. looks like its gonna be rad.

I used to glue boards together for a local cabinet maker, that is how we did it. Works great.
Here is the neck. I changed the shape a little and sanded off the logo. The finish is worn off a little on the sides of the fretboard so I will probably refinish it.

Here are some of the finishes I was thinking of (ignore the shape). The blue and green would be metallic:
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
body shape is like a combo of the strat and SG, looks nice

go with the natural finish!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i'm not digging any of the finishes you've chosen, have you thought about a burst of some sort or a stain?

out of the 3 you've shown i'd say natural but they all look way too bare
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning toward the natural finish now that I look at it some more. I was going for simplicity, but a burst would look nice.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
/\ very nice. I'm liking the idea of a natural finish more and more. Kisekae does make it look a little bland, but it looks really good in real life.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
not a fan of the shape, but at least your doing it from scratch and not hacking up a strat, so my guess is that its gonna look sweet.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Parts came yesterday!

I made a lot of progress today. I got the body cut out, shaped, routed and mostly drilled.

/\ I messed up a little with the routing on the neck pickup pocket, but once its assembled, it won't matter.

the rest of the parts:

Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
hey nitroduck, where are you from? that shop picture looks familiar!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
I live in Elk Mound, Wisconsin. I'm using the school's wood shop. It's got a lot of really nice tools.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
cool, i went to high school in everett PA, we had the same workbench and stuff. it looked really familiar. but, then again, once youve seen one woodshop, youve seen em all!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Today I pretty much finished the body (besides sanding) so I put it all together to see what it looks like. All it needs now is finish and strings.

I think I'm just going to do just clear coat for now. Maybe a light stain underneath. If I decide I want it to be a color or something later I can just paint it. With a clear base coat, it won't make it hugely difficult to go back to natural.

body contours:

In a few days, I will have myself a new guitar.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
looks good! Only thing I dont like is the soapbar pickups but thats that my personal preference.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
^tung oil ftw!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking

Danish oil 3 parts, polyurethane 1 part.

best finish ever.

whipe first coat on, let it sit over night.

use my super-secret-sanding method, whipe on second coat (50/50 danish and poly), whipe off after 3 minutes, let sit for 3 days.

water-proof finish as strong as lacquer, but 10 times as easy to repair.

ive done just straight oil, there is no difference in appearance, slight difference in feel, does not feel plastic at all though, you can still feel the grain, its perfect.
what is your super secret sanding method?
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
its super secret for a reason, it makes sanded wood have a sheen like glass and elimates grain, basically making the surface of the wood impermeable to water. i dont plan on letting it out. haha.
does it involve magic?
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
Quote by LP Addict

Danish oil 3 parts, polyurethane 1 part.

best finish ever.

whipe first coat on, let it sit over night.

use my super-secret-sanding method, whipe on second coat (50/50 danish and poly), whipe off after 3 minutes, let sit for 3 days.

water-proof finish as strong as lacquer, but 10 times as easy to repair.

ive done just straight oil, there is no difference in appearance, slight difference in feel, does not feel plastic at all though, you can still feel the grain, its perfect.

type of oil is personal preference... whatever the case, an oil finish would look great on that guitar...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
the problem with tung oil is that after a long period of time, and assuming you dont re-apply it every few months or so, it turns your wood greeen, if it mixes with skin moisture/oils. its happened on a few necks ive made. unless you buy mixed tung oil with varnish or shellac or something.
^+1

happened to my guitarist's Jackson Rhoads V.

nice green splotch between the 3rd and 10th frets.
------

Shwiggity.
the stuff i bought was mixed with something- i forget what that was a year ago and i no longer have that guitar

now i know why the guy at the store said pure tung oil was a bad idea
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
I think I'm going to use shellac and then clear lacquer because that's what I have available right now. I'll give it a matte/satin finish with some fine steel wool.

Right now, the finish is all it needs, so I hope to have it completely finished by Wednesday. School ends then so I won't have access to any kind of wood shop after that.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
I put a coat of sealer on it. It looks really nice now. The weird greenish photo doesn't do it justice.

Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
Here's a much better picture. It's a lot loser to the actual color. I just put the first coat of clear lacquer on. I used brush-on lacquer for this one, but the next coats will be sprayed on.

Notice the nifty painting stand I can rotate it to get at all the sides without touching it

Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
very nice...really brought out the grain in that
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
ALL DONE!

I assembled it all, strung it, tuned it, and adjusted it yesterday. It plays and sounds awesome.

Sound clips coming soon!

Quote by Spoony_Bard

MY BUILD!
Page 1 of 2