I've had this amp for a couple of months now and its worked fine, but the other day it just started smoking from the back. So, I took it to my friend but when he played it, it sounded just fine and didn't do anything but when I plugged it again this morning, it started doing it again! Any ideas?
power surge? use a power strip with a surge protector when you plug it in at home. kind of farfetched but idk wat it could be.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Hmm do you plug it into the same socket? Try a different one if so. If not then are you leaving it on for a really long period of time? Possibly your volume or gain settings are too high. Try resolving these factors and see what happens...(im no expert, this is just kind of, getting the obvious out of the way for the professionals to rule out)...
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Quote by edgespear
Hmm do you plug it into the same socket? Try a different one if so. If not then are you leaving it on for a really long period of time? Possibly your volume or gain settings are too high. Try resolving these factors and see what happens...(im no expert, this is just kind of, getting the obvious out of the way for the professionals to rule out)...

I've tried all of that and nothing seems to work. I thought that maybe there was something messed up with the cord but wouldn't that make it have a bad sound?
Quote by silverandsilent
I've tried all of that and nothing seems to work. I thought that maybe there was something messed up with the cord but wouldn't that make it have a bad sound?

It depends really, the lead from the gutiar to the amp would mess up the sound, but from the amp to the mains i dont think makes a difference to the sound. It could be something wrong with the mains lead (amp to mains lead) but you'd have to try and test it or "inspect" it, if you like.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Well, how about taking the back off, and when you turn it on, see what component is causing it to smoke? I'm just throwing ideas in here lol
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Sale Quick! Think eBay! Or as ^ put it, open and see what is smoking? It could be something like a wire touching a tube or transformer (which get VERY hot.) Perhaps when you moved the amp to your friends the wire shook loose? Who knows.
Quote by damnedone
Sale Quick! Think eBay! Or as ^ put it, open and see what is smoking? It could be something like a wire touching a tube or transformer (which get VERY hot.) Perhaps when you moved the amp to your friends the wire shook loose? Who knows.

Haha good one. But yeah, the smallest of loose wires can cause the biggest problems, so it's definitely worth a look. And eBay aint a bad idea either lol, getting a new one is very easy, but if you learn how to fix this one, you learn more and when you get an awesome huge amp, you'll know how to fix it...or even learn how to make your own
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
If your amp is smoking, you need to get it to stop before it gets tone cancer and turns into a Line 6 Spider.

In all serious though, what amp is it?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Its a rocktron, not that great but the best I could afford. But, I think I might have figured it out, I took off the back and there was a green wire that came loose. There was also padding on the inside of my amp that came off and I think that everytime the green wire got hot, the padding would start to catch on fire. Hehe good thing I didn't leave it on during the night
Please Please be careful! Tube amps carry voltages that can kill. If you don't know what you are doing please please please don't start messing around with it. Amplifiers can store power and kill even when it's not plugged in. Take it to a technician and let them take a look at it.

Great joke btw...cowdude....

Rocktron amplifiers have a horrendous history filled with issues like this. I've heard a couple of experiences where the amp caught fire. I'd get rid of it quick, and get anything else.
Lol, well i think that's the issue solved. If there are anymore problems, just say, but to be honest i agree with aberrant, get a new one.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
yeah lol, I'm going to start looking for a new one today.. btw, I just noticed that u have the two same guitars that I do
Ah, well i definitley reccomend a VOX or Marshall, depending what you can afford lol. And oh man no way! Haha it's because we are awesome obviously lol do you have MSN?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Last edited by edgespear at May 25, 2008,
An amp doesn't smoke for any of the reasons previously stated. If your not familiar with tube amps do your self a favor and take it in. They can bite hard.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
lmao getting killed by your amp would be the coolest way to die though... but seriously, since I took the padding out it stopped smoking, but it still has a funny smell so I'm taking it in tomorrow and I'll prolly get a new one soon.

edgespear: my MSN is blackdog_727@hotmail.com
Quote by GoDrex
do you have it up against a wall? some amps really need air flow to stay cool

+1

I made my smoke detectors go off last night after playing for about 2 hours. I forgot to pull my stack-o-death flush with the closet door when i put the new amp in and the new amps exhaust port is on top of it so it was heating up the shelf above it enough to give of that burning wood smell. Not hot enough to burn or catch on fire just enough to get the wood pretty warm to the touch and sure enough that was enough to set off every alarm in the house at like 3am lol. My wife walked in the room and was like what the hell is burning so i informed her what happened and she told me i think its time you turn off the amp and go to bed.

Pretty funny but still scared the hell out of me because its a new amp and i was like ohh hell tell me this thing didnt catch on fire. Ohh and the issue is fixed now the port isnt directly in the path of anything..

Moral of the story check and re-check stuff before you decide to play for a few hours... If that would have been a stack of papers ohhh yea she might have went up in flames...
Hmm well when I'm playing it I usually move it forward about a foot but I always move it back up against the wall when I'm finished playing and its usually heated up by then... not sure though because I'm pretty sure the burning smell is coming from the inside of the amp and there was a loose wire, so maybe something else is loose too? Just in case though, I'm moving it away from the wall.
Quote by silverandsilent
Hmm well when I'm playing it I usually move it forward about a foot but I always move it back up against the wall when I'm finished playing and its usually heated up by then... not sure though because I'm pretty sure the burning smell is coming from the inside of the amp and there was a loose wire, so maybe something else is loose too? Just in case though, I'm moving it away from the wall.

Less heat the better, also you move it back up to the wall after playing and those tubes are still hot as hell. So your basically traping that heat in when you move it against the wall when done. I would keep it away from the wall until it has time to cool off then scoot it back. Probally doesnt effect things much but it cant hurt...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Less heat the better, also you move it back up to the wall after playing and those tubes are still hot as hell. So your basically traping that heat in when you move it against the wall when done. I would keep it away from the wall until it has time to cool off then scoot it back. Probally doesnt effect things much but it cant hurt...

yeah, or if you want it out of the way, when your done with playing it, face the speakers to the wall, and then you can push it up against the wall. that way the vents arent against the wall.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.