Where do things go when you put them in the recycling bin and press empty?

I mean have you ever actually though about it hard? Is it actually ever completely gone? How can something just disappear? Is there like a little grave yald of files in my computer?

Think about it.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
1. They get deleted.
2. Not really.
3. Once the files are deleted the only way to get them back is by using system restore.
4. Pretty easily.
5. No.

Personally I think the recycle bin is useless, if I want to permanantly delete a file, just shift + delete it.
dont worry its really hard to find what you deleted but its possible(other than system restore). no one will find ur pron.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by 12Jim34
3. Once the files are deleted the only way to get them back is by using system restore.

I believe this is false.
*explodes*

....But seriously, you've got me thinking about that now. It can never really be gone, can it?
yes. the data can simply be wiped over by blank data or something like that.
Quote by 12Jim34
How so?

Well, at least partially. I don't think it's the ONLY way to recover files.
Well Im not sure about the technicalities of it, but I know whatever you delete is left on your harddrive, and is called 'metadata'. To get that back you need
a certain program. I know police use them, the BTK killer got busted when they found metadata on his floppy disk he sent to them telling them about him.
Quote by Mister.Y

Think about it.

reminds me of the pear....

It all goes to the goverment.....

Their on to us...
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Everything on your computer is stored in DOS. If you delete something, you may never see it again.

But it is all kept in DOS, so technically, if you know how to run DOS and use it, you could get anything back that was ever on your computer - unless the file is corrupted.
When you send something to the recycle bin and delete it it still exist. It rather hides the data and allows it to be overwritten by other data later on. This is why recovery is possible, and explains why sometimes when pictures are recovered only half of the photo shows. Once the data has been over written it pretty well impossible to recover.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by stepco12345
*explodes*

....But seriously, you've got me thinking about that now. It can never really be gone, can it?

Yes it can be gone.

Basically, when you delete something, the computer stops 'holding' it. It's still there, but now it can be overwritten with new information.

Make sense?
Quote by acoginthesystem
Everything on your computer is stored in DOS. If you delete something, you may never see it again.

But it is all kept in DOS, so technically, if you know how to run DOS and use it, you could get anything back that was ever on your computer - unless the file is corrupted.

Not 100% accurately. I forget what it's called, but if you clean the hard drive multiple times it's gone for good.
with all recently made hardrives yes your files are completely gone but how to get them back would be a second disk in your hard drive which the police generally use to catch illegal down loads so they are still around on your hard drive just a disk under the main one...there is no way to erase these files the only way to get rid of them is to throw your hard drive against a wall or light it on fire (ps. im taking a class in my school)

edit: didnt know bout the overwritten thing..but theres what i know bout the hardrive
Last edited by Switchblade775 at May 23, 2008,
Quote by stratele

reminds me of the pear....

It's a facepalm.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

scroll down to "Degaussing magnetic data storage media". i got really caught up reading about it a few months back and read all about magnetic remanence and so on

*is a nerd*
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
You're stupid. Files aren't actual material items, just sequences of coding stored on a hard disk. Which means they can be erased from existence pretty easily.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I think the real question here is, Where do they go when they drink Nestea?
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Yes, it's still there until it's overwritten
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████