After a jam with someone, i realised that i barely know any solo-ey stuff, just rhythm really. Any ideas for moderately easy solos for me to learn? (no metal please )

EDIT: i am 13, grade 4
so did u fail a lot? or are u talking Grade 4 as in ur Guitar playing?
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
Learn Pentatonic scales and blues scales, use them for soloing.
I use it for all my songs, i play mainly blues, rock and soul.
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
wait wait....age 13 in grade 4?

he's English, grades are in music

school is in years for us
Rockin' shit
besides just playing songs try learning the C scale and try to use it to solo. u'll sound like **** for a while. but you'll getbetter. practice
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow world.

Ibanez RG2 EX1 (Black)
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Sekova Mandolin
Team Custom Traditional 4 string bass
Yamaha E403 keyboard
My Last.fm
Myspace
Quote by 100%guitarmad
After a jam with someone, i realised that i barely know any solo-ey stuff, just rhythm really. Any ideas for moderately easy solos for me to learn? (no metal please )

EDIT: i am 13, grade 4

what kind of music do you like. Name some solos your interested in.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
what kind of music do you like. Name some solos your interested in.

i like blues and alternative sort of music
Quote by 100%guitarmad
i am 13 years old.
Grade 4 RockSchool guitar

oh ok...ive never heard of that sorry....id go with something by mainstream rock like nirvana as someone else recommended above me.....days of the new had cool/easy solos.....and maybe green day?
rock school are the easy grades (compared to RGT) but improvising is fun, and also the solo for Exo-politics (by Muse for the uninformed among us) is an easy solo, but the timing is a bit tricky in bits
Quote by 100%guitarmad

Blues Scale in that case
forget practicing solos from songs, work on your own ideas based off different blues scales, like try fooling around with the minor pentatonic scale
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by 100%guitarmad

Try some Clapton solos from when he was in cream. Or maybe some Jimmy Page.

Great place to start when learning to solo.

Quote by jplay5
forget practicing solos from songs, work on your own ideas based off different blues scales, like try fooling around with the minor pentatonic scale

IMO thats some bad advice.

Learn by playing music that inspires you (and yes that means music written by "somebody else" at 1st). Develop your own style from there.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 23, 2008,
Quote by jplay5
This is silly. You need to learn other peoples' work to be able to create your own ideas. Messing around without a reference point wastes a lot of time.
As soon as u lern pentotonic scales u will take off it sounds good as hell
Some fair easy things to start learning here, but let's look a little closer at what it takes to make a good solo. That way you won't be stuck in easy solos.

First off, Smells Like Teen Spirit is good because of the general lack of technique required for Cobain solos. While people disagree if you look at that solo it can't be denied.

After learning a few easy solos scales are your next port of call. Look into the Major, Pentatonic and Blues I think. After that go back to the solos you learned already and work out what scale they're in as best you can. Some, like Stairway To Heaven, might be difficult, but that's because it's actually a mode. We don't need to go that far yet.

Next, in order to create a good guitar solo, you might need to work on technique. Most rhythm play doesn't really revolve around technique, just getting your fingers where you want them (unless by rhythm, you mean powerchords, which means your dexterity is likely nonexistant at this point). For a solo you'll need good technique. Consider your vibrato technique, as it is unique for everyone. Consider also your legato, your slides and possibly your harmonics.

Finally, the most important thing to learn for solos is phrasing. For this go back to looking at solos, but look up more difficult solos. The aim here is not to learn what, at this point, you can't do, but to look at the way it's done and the sound it creates. Learn which notes to put where, how to use the root note, where to put pauses in your playing and how to use only the amount of technique needed instead of using vibrato on every note.

Hope that helped.
To people new to improvising, I suggest learning the movable pentatonic shape in a couple positions. This is help your phrasing alot and form your technique for improvising.

After your done that, learn about scales and intervals, and than how different intervals sound different over chords.
Quote by demonofthenight
To people new to improvising, I suggest learning the movable pentatonic shape in a couple positions. This is help your phrasing alot and form your technique for improvising.

After your done that, learn about scales and intervals, and than how different intervals sound different over chords.

Personally I would suggest it the other way around. Learn your intervals and how they relate to the chords being played. I think that would make you a far more effecient improviser than learning the pentatonic shapes.
Quote by colohue
Personally I would suggest it the other way around. Learn your intervals and how they relate to the chords being played. I think that would make you a far more effecient improviser than learning the pentatonic shapes.
It would, but intervals is complex and most noobs (in the most polite way as possible) dont want to learn about it straight away.

Telling someone to pentatonic wank (a very technical term ) is telling someone to do something easy, so they can gain experience. As opposed to telling someone with no experience in improvising to learn about harmonic/melodic intervals and their consonance/dissonance.
Quote by evan101
As soon as u lern pentotonic scales u will take off it sounds good as hell

I suggest you do the same with spelling and grammar.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by colohue
True dat! But learning such concepts takes a while. You want to be able to show off your pentatonic wank to your friends and have some fun.
Quote by demonofthenight

right, although it has nothing to do with phrasing.......phrasing is another issue altogether and has nothing to do with scale patterns. The pentatnoic shapes give you something tangible to work with. You still have to use your ears and have some musical abilities to make music with them, but they are fairly simple, easy to memorize and are one of the most commonly used scales for guitar solos.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
You want to be able to show off your pentatonic wank to your friends and have some fun.

this is true as well
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2008,
Pentatonic wank is great for a beginner at soloing. Do it enough and you will develop your ear and phrasing abilities to the point where it no longer is wank. Do gradually go back and learn the actual notes and all the "boring stuff" later on though. No one likes any kind of wanker, not even of the pentatonic variety.
Quote by grampastumpy
Pentatonic wank is great for a beginner at soloing. Do it enough and you will develop your ear and phrasing abilities to the point where it no longer is wank.

exactly......assuming your listening to and playing actual music as well.

Quote by grampastumpy

Do gradually go back and learn the actual notes and all the "boring stuff" later on though. No one likes any kind of wanker, not even of the pentatonic variety.

if your interested..... for sure. Learn as much as you can/want.

If wanking = making music by using your ear and whatever knowledge you happen to know (pentatonic patterns in this case)........ then by all means wank away. If your digging it, chances are someone else will to. It doesnt matter what you "know" if you sound good.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
exactly

if your interested..... for sure. Learn as much as you can/want.

If wanking = making music by using your ear and whatever knowledge you happen to know (pentatonic patterns in this case)........ then by all means wank away. If your digging it, chances are someone else will to. It doesnt matter what you "know" if you sound good.
By wank, I mean stuff the player himself believes to be unmusical and random notes. Once the player can say to themselves that they are genuinely playing music, that leaves the realm of wank for me.
Quote by grampastumpy
By wank, I mean stuff the player himself believes to be unmusical and random notes. Once the player can say to themselves that they are genuinely playing music, that leaves the realm of wank for me.

I agree. I've heard it used sometimes towards anyone playing anything on the guitar, but it makes more sense how you explained it.
shred is gaudy music
Think that's about all we can say for this thread. We've wandered off easy solos into theory and now it seems we're idling across to masturbation...