Ok so i want to start learning classical guitar...don't ask me why but i do. So where should i start, i can go fast enough, but i'm no shredder... I'd like some generally progressive that are still difficult, a list of easier to harder would be great but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
actually you can depending on difficulty

i'd suggest brouwers etudes, he's a fairly recent cuban composer, really funky stuff, he's got like 30+ etudes, start from the beginning and work through, theyre especially good if you know what technique to practice
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Post #4 is balls.

I agree with post #3. Though if he's never even fingerpicked before it might be diving in the far end of the pool...

Therefore, I recommend you search in the Acoustic Forum where there is a thread with classical pieces good for beginners and then find yourself a teacher. If you're serious about the classical guitar and don't want to only mess around you'll need to learn the adequate technique. I see lots of guys on youtube playing pretty damn hard classical pieces, harder than I'd attempt. They sound like crap. Know why? They're misguided and have no technique whatsoever. This is a problem because you choose pieces to hard to pull off and spend far too much time actually trying to learn a piece rather than progressing at a good speed.

As for something to get you started, get your hands on Sor's 30 Progressive Studies. They'll be a great starting place.
First thing is to find a teacher.

He'll be able to walk you from there.
Just so you know, right hand technique is not as straightforward as it seems. Check the acoustic/classical forum, they've got excellent stuff there.

Also, +1 to Guitar Theory, learn to read if you don't already!
Quote by Guitar_Theory
If you're super serious about learning classical too, learn to read music, please.

I already know how...i take music theory classes too so i know how to read music
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
bachs lute suites are good
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
That post is balls too.

He's never played classical guitar in his life. Learning a lute suite is suicide for a beginner. Soon we'll have people recommending Asturias and Capricho Arabe. Because novices can really pull those off, right?
Quote by aaron00lee
I already know how...i take music theory classes too so i know how to read music

Excellent!

I don't play fingerstyle classical, I stick more to things I can play with a pick, but if you're interested, the Bach Violin Sonata No. 2 BWV 1003 is really great. And can actually be done fingerstyle if you wish (it's got enough going on). Really I focused on the final movement, the Allegro cause it's all single line stuff and really cool sounding, but the whole thing is tremendously excellent.

I got the music for it in a set published by Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, it's vol. 221 "Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for the Violin" They actually mislabeled well like...everything in it, the numbers are all off by one, but oh well. Either that or when I looked it up the number was off by one, either way, in this edition it is listed as Sonata number 3.
Quote by confusius
That post is balls too.

He's never played classical guitar in his life. Learning a lute suite is suicide for a beginner. Soon we'll have people recommending Asturias and Capricho Arabe. Because novices can really pull those off, right?

You can play anything as long as you slow it down enough. That's what metronomes are for.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
So you'd tell an electric guitar beginner to play Hands Without Shadows by Batio because technically if he plays it slow enough he'll pull it off?

You don't progress as a musician if you do that, you just learn bad habits apart from not playing anything properly.
That post is balls too.

He's never played classical guitar in his life. Learning a lute suite is suicide for a beginner.

some of them are fairly easy
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Yes, it's not as boring as chromatic exercises and more motivating. Altough I'd choose a nicer sounding song. Also, the sweeping may be a bit too much to begin with

I don't see how you would learn bad habits either. You play at a speed where you can play it properly.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
some of them are fairly easy

Some preludes are alright. But the Lute Suites as a whole, are something above beginner level.

Yes, it's not as boring as chromatic exercises and more motivating. Altough I'd choose a nicer sounding song. Also, the sweeping may be a bit too much to begin with

I don't see how you would learn bad habits either. You play at a speed where you can play it properly.

You're failing to see the point. It's not intelligent to learn a piece that's above your skill level, no matter how slow you can play it, because there are things you won't be able to do because you haven't built up any techniques to actually hold the piece up at proper speed. That's why recommending pieces like Asturias to a beginner is silly, because they have had no previous experience with arpeggio studies, position changes, right hand control or any other requirement for the piece.

Now, it's just an example, we could take any other piece and dissect it. We'd find tons of reasons why a beginner couldn't tackle them. There are things you simply aren't ready to do and that come with time.

So TS, you can dive into any piece you want, I'm nobody to stop you, but I really recommend you find a teacher to guide you in the right direction.