I've been playing for four months, and can play a few songs, the two hardest are probably Dani California and Snow ((hey oh)), but I'm wondering where do I go from here?

Learning songs has helped me a lot, and I practice a lot, which makes the techniques I know improve all the time, but I only seem to be using the same techniques, instead of learning new ones like I used to.

I really want to learn how to do things such as palm muting, like used on Can't Stop, by the Chili Peppers... might have named the wrong technique there? but you should know which I mean. I just can't seem to do it for songs like that.

I want to learn this, as I'm pretty certain that I want my playing to go in that 'funk' direction.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any tips, or websites giving tips for developing, particularly in things such as muting.

Thanks,
Lewis.
practice it, a lot

after a few days/weeks it will be second nature and you don't even know you are doing it
Quote by Calabur

...I really want to learn how to do things such as palm muting, like used on Can't Stop, by the Chili Peppers... might have named the wrong technique there? but you should know which I mean. I just can't seem to do it for songs like that....

Palm Muting in Cant Stop? I don't belive there is.
develop out of RHCP perhaps
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Go into some Hendrix stuff.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Palm Muting in Cant Stop? I don't belive there is.

Palm muting is where you mute certain strings with your fretting hand, right?

x
x

?

Anyway, I can play the main riff to it, and it has the right notes, but when I watch other people play it (such as Frusciante, and covers of it), they seem to hit all the strings whilst playing it, and get a muted tone mixed in with their playing.

Maybe I'm just hearing it wrong?

iron.zeppelin, I do practice a lot, it's just I don't have a clue how to play it for songs like this.

I can play stuff like the thing I put above fairly well.

Oh, another question, which I forgot to put.

Any tips on improvisation? Everything I do sounds crap, and if it doesn't it's because I'm just playing parts of other songs I know in a different key. Or will I become better at this as I play more?

tdrules, haha, I agree with you there. :p

And I'll take a look at some hendrix stuff.
Last edited by Calabur at May 23, 2008,
For palm muting practice, Metallica is the way to go.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Calabur
Palm muting is where you mute certain strings with your fretting hand

Nope, "palm mute" actually refers to something you do with your picking hand. You rest the edge of your palm lightly on the strings near the bridge so the notes are muted and a little bit chunky. You'll see this in hard rock and metal a lot because with lots of distortion on, you don't want the notes bleeding together. Search "palm muting" in the lessons area and those two articles should help you get started a little bit. Listen to some metal rhythm guitar parts (for example, Metallica as suggested) to see how the technique sounds.

The technique you described is usually referred to as "fret hand muting", "deadening" or just "muting the strings".
Quote by :-D
Nope, "palm mute" actually refers to something you do with your picking hand. You rest the edge of your palm lightly on the strings near the bridge so the notes are muted and a little bit chunky. You'll see this in hard rock and metal a lot because with lots of distortion on, you don't want the notes bleeding together. Search "palm muting" in the lessons area and those two articles should help you get started a little bit. Listen to some metal rhythm guitar parts (for example, Metallica as suggested) to see how the technique sounds.

The technique you described is usually referred to as "fret hand muting", "deadening" or just "muting the strings".

Ah, thanks for that.

I guess I should learn to do both properly then?