i was looking around at the warmoth site for stuff i needed for my build. i came across something called a capacitator and was wondering wat they are and what they are for. also, are they necesarry?
they are only used in the tone control, they cut the treble
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
yes, otherwise your "tone" knob will control volume. whats the big deal? there 50 cents!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
no problem, it would suck to discover that ur tone knob is wired as a volume knob!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Different capacitors filter off different amounts of treble. Bigger value equals less treble I believe
Quote by LP Addict
i put them on my volume knob as well...

orange drops are the best. .047 for humbuckers or 2 single coils, .022 for straight single coils. .001 for your volume knob, if you are interested.

Interesting, what advantage does this give?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Invader Jim
Also, they are called capacitors, or caps. Not capacitators.

damn, you beat me to it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
when you roll the volume knob down, youll notice you lose alot of your "tone". you slap one of those on there, you keep your tone. its like it ****s up your EQ, you lose just general response, bass, treble, etc. alot of companies come stock with them, peavey used to in the 90's... mainly just the high-end guitars.
Thanks, I might look into it.

How well would it work with active pickups?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
When you turn down the volume knob, you're increasing the resistance between the signal out and pickup(s), which degrades the tone. Adding a cap across this resistance essentially bypasses it, as far as the signal is concerned, retaining the tone.
Bright switches on amps work exactly the same way: they connect/disconnect that capacitor.
Quote by LP Addict
i put them on my volume knob as well...

orange drops are the best. .047 for humbuckers or 2 single coils, .022 for straight single coils. .001 for your volume knob, if you are interested.

The one for the volume is not used for 'tone control', it's to preserve treble and brilliance as they can get attenuated with (variable) resistors also having their own capacitance. If your guitar gets muddy, or bassy when you turn the volume down then this is the mod for you!