pardon my ignorance, but would a good amp like a 5150 or B-52 even need a tubescreamer or something like it?
been hearing how a VK would need at minimum a bad monkey for heavy, metal-ish tones,...are the others all set, or do they still need a boost? or is it nothing more than personal preference?
you could use the tube screamer to boost the distortion channel. using a pedal for your entire distortion kills the idea of a tube amp hahaha.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
you could use the tube screamer to boost the distortion channel. using a pedal for your entire distortion kills the idea of a tube amp hahaha.

not talking about replacing the amps sound with that of the pedal, just enhancing what the amp can do...
use pedals to boost your original sound
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
a lot of people use something like a tubescreamer to tighten up the sound of their amp, or just add a touch of extra dirt. i havent played those amps much (if ever, im not sure) and i dont play metal, but from what i understand its mostly personal preference at that point. im pretty sure 5150s will have enough gain on tap for most metal, but sometimes you just want the od pedal for a bit of extra sound, or even just a different flavor.
Quote by jof1029
a lot of people use something like a tubescreamer to tighten up the sound of their amp, or just add a touch of extra dirt. i havent played those amps much (if ever, im not sure) and i dont play metal, but from what i understand its mostly personal preference at that point. im pretty sure 5150s will have enough gain on tap for most metal, but sometimes you just want the od pedal for a bit of extra sound, or even just a different flavor.

good thought...i wasnt sure if using a pedal with say a 5150 would push it to new territory, or just make it sound like youre trying too hard, know what i mean?
I would just get an EQ. Particularly a Sniper Modded GE-7. The 6505 has more then enough gain.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Pretty much any amp that is going to be used for metal i would suggest a OD pedal on. Level 10 Gain 0

Most people use them even on the fabled 5150 because the beast can get loose from time to time...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Pretty much any amp that is going to be used for metal i would suggest a OD pedal on. Level 10 Gain 0

Most people use them even on the fabled 5150 because the beast can get loose from time to time...

i assume the Bad Monkey should suffice?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes it will.... I've tried it on everything and everything loves it..

good 'nuff...

thanks, man!!