if i was to solo in the key of E for harmonic minor yet start on the note of G. but still use all the notes that are in the key of E as i am soloing would i still be in the key of E or would i need start and end on E?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
You don't have to begin the scale on the root note. If your backing is in E minor and you're playing over a B major chord, you play E harmonic minor. You can start on G, but over that B chord, if you play the notes E F# G A B C D# in any order, you're using E harmonic minor.
Quote by :-D
You don't have to begin the scale on the root note. If your backing is in E minor and you're playing over a B major chord, you play E harmonic minor. You can start on G, but over that B chord, if you play the notes E F# G A B C D# in any order, you're using E harmonic minor.

why over a B chord? is that because B is a note in the harmonic minor in the key of E? coudl it also be over a chord of A or any other note with in the key of E?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
why over a B chord? is that because B is a note in the harmonic minor in the key of E? coudl it also be over a chord of A or any other note with in the key of E?

In E minor, the naturally occurring chord is B minor. Most often, though, this chord becomes a V chord (major), so you'd raise the third of the chord from D to D# to get B major. This D# is the major seventh of the E minor scale, so that's what suggests the use of harmonic minor. The V chord is commonly used (as I mentioned above) for just that reason.

You could really use the harmonic minor scale over any chord you want, but the V is the most common application; the V7-i gives you a very strong resolution as well, so experiment with it. Analyze the notes of the chords you're playing over as well as the notes of the scale and you'll see how things will work together.
we play metal though so wat happens when it comes to using power chords?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90

It opens up tons of harmonic and melodic options. Since the power chords are tonally ambiguous, feel free to do whatever you want. For example, over an E power chord you could play that harmonic minor scale rather than wait for a V (B major), or you could really experiment with anything under the sun.

Since you have so many options and may not know a million scales, experiment with some different intervals and use a process of trial and error to see what you come up with.
Quote by kazra90
A common minor progression is Em D C B7. You use E natural minor over the first three chords and E harmonic minor over B7.

In a metal song, you would play E5 D5 C5 B5 and follow the same idea. The thirds and sevenths are implied by the context and your solo.
so lets say thry use a power chord progression of E5, f#5, B5. would it be okay to solo over that with key of E? or does it really matter?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
so lets say thry use a power chord progression of E5, f#5, B5. would it be okay to solo over that with key of E? or does it really matter?

You could use an E minor scale, the only problem being the C# in the F#5 chord. However, as I mentioned before, you have a lot of options and can imply many different tonalities with what you're playing.
im just confused as to figuring out what power chords fit with in a key. since they are not regular chords?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
im just confused as to figuring out what power chords fit with in a key. since they are not regular chords?

All they are is a root and a fifth, so just look at the notes contained in the power chords and see if they fit into a particular key. If you don't know what notes are in what key, read BGC's sig as she suggested.
yeah so if i did harmonic minor in the key of E. i could use C5 A5 E5 and then some single notes in the backing track such as F# g B. and that would fit perfectly with in the key right?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
The most common use of harmonic minor is over the 5 chord. That is, you play your riff using natural minor, and then when you come up to the 5 chord, you make it major, either by playing a major chord with harm minor over it, or harm minor over a power chord.

By 5 chord, I don't mean power chord.

Anyway, an example of this is a song I have written. It is in Dm and goes D5 G5 D5 F5 D5 Bb5 G5 A5. Over everything but that last chord, I play D natural minor (with appropriate chromaticism). Over A5, I play D harmonic minor. This is the most common way to use harmonic minor.
couldnt u just have played harmonic minor over all of that? why switch between scales?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
couldnt u just have played harmonic minor over all of that? why switch between scales?
Yes, but it will sound weird. It would be more common to play natural minor until you get to A. The F5 chord contains C, so harmonic minor doesn't fit over that, anyway.

You can play what you want, but it would be less common to play harmonic minor over that whole progression.
a harmonic minor in the key of E would fit with the F5 chord. C is within the scale
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
a harmonic minor in the key of E would fit with the F5 chord. C is within the scale

1. There is no such thing as a harmonic minor in the key of E. Call it E Harmonic minor if you must refer to the scale.

2. In what key is the progression? Would it make any sense to play an E scale over it?
^i didn't really check this but he is saying

in the key of E(assuming minor) you could use an F5 because it contains C and it would be in the harmonic minor scale of E

i don't know if that is right but i don't know what you are talking about^
song stuck in my head today

1. wat do u mean theres no such thing as harmonic minor in key of E?

2. this is just a hypothetical question. i would assume the progression would be in the same key as the solo would.
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by lbc_sublime

in the key of E(assuming minor) you could use an F5 because it contains C and it would be in the harmonic minor scale of E

A. Yes, C is in the E harmonic minor scale, but what about F?

B. The riff is clearly in D minor. Why would you play E harmonic minor? The only time an E note is played is in the A5 chord!

Quote by kazra90
1. wat do u mean theres no such thing as harmonic minor in key of E?

2. this is just a hypothetical question. i would assume the progression would be in the same key as the solo would.

1. You call it E harmonic minor. Stop calling it "harmonic minor in the key of E." The D# note isn't even in the key of E minor, anyway.

2. Of course they would use the same key. The progression is clearly in D minor. Why would you play E harmonic minor?
Quote by lbc_sublime

that is wat i meant. thank u for understanding!
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A. Yes, C is in the E harmonic minor scale, but what about F?

B. The riff is clearly in D minor. Why would you play E harmonic minor? The only time an E note is played is in the A5 chord!

1. You call it E harmonic minor. Stop calling it "harmonic minor in the key of E." The D# note isn't even in the key of E minor, anyway.

2. Of course they would use the same key. The progression is clearly in D minor. Why would you play E harmonic minor?

oh ur right its f# my bad.

wat riff r u taking about?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92