Page 1 of 2
Zakk Wylde and James Hetfield both use Les Pauls or variants of them. It can be done.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Skullmage4
I know that Les Pauls are very versatile but are they good for metal?

I recently put EMG's in my Gibson LP Custom just for the hell of it, and it delivers for metal.
i have a seymour duncan sh-6 pickup in my epi lp (if u wana stick to passive, it also depends what kind of metal u mean) and i love it. the distortion on it is great, and the stock neck pickup is great for acoustic-ish cleans.

basically what everyone is saying, is any guitar can do metal depending on what pick ups are in it, its all in what u feel comfortable playing.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Of course you can use a LP for metal. Especially with the right pups. The amp is more important for tone anyways.
Quote by Skullmage4
I know that Les Pauls are very versatile but are they good for metal?

Oh yes it can handle metal very well.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
All I know is pinch harmonics are hard to get on an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (that's the SG shape with the 3 humbuckers.) Not too good for metal
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
All I know is pinch harmonics are hard to get on an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (that's the SG shape with the 3 humbuckers.) Not too good for metal

Dude I can get pinch harmonics on an acoustic, no reason you can't on a Epi LP. I play my friend's custom all the time and get pinch harmonics easy.
Yes les pauls can be great for metal because of the thick sound they usually provide. All you need might be some nice pu's for metal like emg's but even with stock pu's and the right amp it would be fine.
They're great for metal, why shouldn't they be? Huge slab of mahogany body for low ends, loads of sustain, two humbuckers... Loads of metal players use them.

But in the end, most of the metal players have ultra high gain amps which kinda negate what guitar they use.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde and James Hetfield both use Les Pauls or variants of them. It can be done.

Ya, it can be done with anything, but you won't look too cool playing with one of those.
Quote by rhettro

He looks pretty metal to me.

+1

And yes, Les Pauls are fine for metal. Just make sure you don't use a crap amp.
Randy Rhoads used Les Pauls too. Gibsons in general can be used for nearly any genre of music.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Zakk Wylde plays one... So you know it's BRUTAL
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield use Les Pauls at some times, so did Randy Rhoads.
And of course, this guy:

Zakk Wylde.
Of course you can use the les paul. Just make sure you get new pickups or you can experiment with the stock pickups by changing some things in your amp or effects pedal. A few metal guitarists with les pauls:

James Hetfield (Metallica)
Zakk Wylde
Mark Morton (Lamb of God)
Quote by black-sabbath

that would be an SG then .... not infact a les paul (yes i know it says les paul custom on the scratchplate under the neck ... but it isn't it's an SG and it's pickups are about as responsive as moose urine.)

yes a les paul variant would be fine for playing metal.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Yea, les pauls are fine. With a distortion pedal and/or a good amp, u got a combination that im going to be jealous of.
Quote by Dog454

zak plays pinch harmonics not metal
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by ibanez_2892
zak plays pinch harmonics not metal

lulz.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
No. You absolutely cannot use a Les Paul for metal. I saw a guy in a cover band get arrested on stage for using a Les Paul when his band launched into, For Whom The Bell Tolls. It was hilarious. People were hurling drinks at him and everything and since the band couldn't continue playing, they had an open jam night.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Randy Rhoads used Les Pauls too. Gibsons in general can be used for nearly any genre of music.

+1

randy was the best player in his time, if hed were alive now, i wouldnt doubt of him as to be one of the worlds best players in all time
My Epiphone along with my Roland Cube 30x handles metal well and it's versatile too it's great for rock too.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Bruce Bouillet.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Adrian smith (Iron Maiden) sometimes uses one too.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I remember Matt from Trivium used a Les Paul almost exclusively for a period of time. Buckethead, Zakk Wylde .. the list goes on. It can be done.
Quote by Hemani Co
I remember Matt from Trivium used a Les Paul almost exclusively for a period.

Yeah, untill he got the sponsership from DEAN.
Quote by koikomoru
What about slash?
All he uses are LP's.

Didn't know he played metal.
Quote by gastelum92
Of course you can use the les paul. Just make sure you get new pickups or you can experiment with the stock pickups by changing some things in your amp or effects pedal. A few metal guitarists with les pauls:

James Hetfield (Metallica)
Zakk Wylde
Mark Morton (Lamb of God)

wrong. He uses ESPs.

but yeah, Zakk is one, the dude from As I lay dying does as well. In Flames' lead guitarist is also another.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
wrong. He uses ESPs.

Mark Morton plays a Jackson Dominion signature. Willie plays ESP Eclipses. You both lose.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Page 1 of 2