Page 1 of 4
UG knows I play bass and I now have a bass related problem.

Basically I've had a hard time music-wise with my family who tolerate my bassplaying to a certain extent. However over the last few days they've become increasingly hostile towards it, and seem to blame every little error I make on bassplaying.

I'm increasingly fed-up.....I hardly play bass outside of church and it's not distracting me from doing other things.

Any help as to what I can do/say/be before I quit bass in frustration?

PS Anyone who makes fun of me being a bassist I will find their IP address, track down where they are and personally slap them.
Quote by metaldud536
Maybe you should add two more strings?

First post win.

Don't worry, the bass isn't important.

I kid Fassa, please don't slap me Just tell them it's what you want to do, it's your decision

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by metaldud536

Ha ha funny.

Not!

Let's put it another way- I'm the only musician in my family that I'm aware of. Can you imagine me going home and discussing PA set-up with them or the set list of my next recital?
It's up to you. If bass is your thing, just keep practicing until you don't make enough errors for them to talk about. If it bothers them too much, turn it down a little, I guess. My family is the same way. I just keep them happy by playing stuff they like to where they can hear it, and my stuff to a lower volume.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I kid Fassa, please don't slap me Just tell them it's what you want to do, it's your decision

Standing up to them is likely to make the situation worse. I'd rather come to a compromise than have to go against them for the sake of a lump of wood with metal strings on it.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Standing up to them is likely to make the situation worse. I'd rather come to a compromise than have to go against them for the sake of a lump of wood with metal strings on it.

With that atitude my friend you might as well just quit then!
----
Fassa, it is your life. If bass is your calling, then follow it with your heart. If I may ask, what sort of things are they blaming on your bass playing?
Quote by BlackSephiroth
It's up to you. If bass is your thing, just keep practicing until you don't make enough errors for them to talk about. If it bothers them too much, turn it down a little, I guess. My family is the same way. I just keep them happy by playing stuff they like to where they can hear it, and my stuff to a lower volume.

When I say errors I mean just sutff that happens in my life that they then try and pin on my spending time bass playing, not errors in my bass playing.
Practice in secret, create an evil bass-playing lair....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Aramis
Fassa, it is your life. If bass is your calling, then follow it with your heart. If I may ask, what sort of things are they blaming on your bass playing?

Just stuff that's happened recently, like me failing my driving test (they said I didn't take enough time doing lessons instead of bass playing).........basically crap that has nothing to do with me playing music.

I have a theory it's because I'm not only playing bass, but I'm taking it to a level they've never reached, playing in bands and recording songs.
Don't let them control your life. Playing bass is harmless.
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
When I say errors I mean just sutff that happens in my life that they then try and pin on my spending time bass playing, not errors in my bass playing.

Oh, I'm so lame...
But still, your life.
If you're playing in church,telling them you are trying to get better so you can honor God to a better extent should help.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
If you're playing in church,telling them you are trying to get better so you can honor God to a better extent should help

Ah, and there's Bible evidence for that!

Psalm 150:4- Praise Him with strings...
Don't quit because your parents just don't like it, play if its in your heart...they sound kind of mental blaming your issues on an instrument...

Ignore them, keep playing...figure out why you are making those errors you speak of.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Righto. You're officially the best person ever.
Thanks babe.

Paine of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

SSBB FC: 0645 - 5498 - 0197
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Just stuff that's happened recently, like me failing my driving test (they said I didn't take enough time doing lessons instead of bass playing).........basically crap that has nothing to do with me playing music.

I have a theory it's because I'm not only playing bass, but I'm taking it to a level they've never reached, playing in bands and recording songs.

Don't be disheartened about your driving test, not many people do pass first time in my experience.

I doubt it's jealousy on your parents part to be honest, that doesn't sound very parent like. As harsh as this sounds, if it is jealousy, then they are not very good parents. It's more likely they're worried for whatever reason. If you're a good bassist and that is your passion, they have nothing to worry about.

Have you tried talking to them about it? Asking them how they feel?

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

That is perfect.
Last edited by Aramis at May 23, 2008,
Quote by Mrs. Lovett
Don't quit because your parents just don't like it, play if its in your heart...they sound kind of mental blaming your issues on an instrument...

Ignore them, keep playing...figure out why you are making those errors you speak of.

One thing I did forget to mention is that I've continually said that my bass isn't getting in the way of uni/life in general. Unfortunately they didn't seem to believe me.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

See,you got it covered Fassa. Next time you bother you about it,quote that verse to them.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Aramis
Don't be disheartened about your driving test, not many people do pass first time in my experience.

I failed twice ¬.¬
Quote by shakes23
Don't let them control your life. Playing bass is harmless.

ur right. its harmless. but its still a sin.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
... i dunno man, thats a hard one. maybe try to do things that show that your bass playing is being productive in your life.
well if your parents are anything like mine, it's guitar that they blame on every 'error' i make. but it's not because of guitar- because it's what i enjoy. if i liked football my dad would blame everything on football. so if your parents are anything like mine they will never say "oh well study some more and get a bit more practice and we'll schedule you a new driving test"- they will always blame it on your favorite hobby
Quote by Aramis

Have you tried talking to them about it? Asking them how they feel?

This is something I feel I need to do, and would love to do. Problem is getting them to talk about it without it a) turning into an argument b) making me look obsessive or pushy c) actually making it worth my while.
Hmmm... have you thought about sitting down with them one evening over the movie Footloose? You could segue in to your bass playing like that.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
This is making me so miserable......

Quote by metaldud536

then he'd just have a six-string bass
Don't give it up because of that.

If you quit to do something else they'd most likely bitch about that too.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by Vince Noir
Don't give it up because of that.

If you quit to do something else they'd most likely bitch about that too.

True.
Quote by PrimalVexations
You shouldnt quit an instrument just because of what people say or do. Then your not dedicated and might as well quit anyway.

I'm dedicated to bass, I just feel like everything I do with it is going against everything my family wants from me.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm dedicated to bass, I just feel like everything I do with it is going against everything my family wants from me.

If they want something from you, they are NOT parents in the true sense of the word.
Quote by Aramis
If they want something from you, they are NOT parents in the true sense of the word.

It's not that they want something FROM me, they just expect certain things of me.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

i just won $50 in a talent show at school for my guitar playing skills. Pulled out a bunch of improvisational chops and Van Halen style tapping. My parents hate that stuff. (dad likes van halen, though.)

If I hadn't stuck with it, I'd have 50 less dollars.
Page 1 of 4