I am interested in buying an SG type guitar this summer. I play classic rock/blues/blues rock/classic metal and am not sure which one to buy. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard- it is a great guitar and I'm very happy with it, which is why I'm considering getting the Epi G-400. Would it be better to save up for a Gibson Faded SG? I've been a player for 8 years. Thanks in advance
I have never tried the faded special series, but I do have a g-400 and I love it!it sounds good through a good amp. over all I think that its one of the best guitars for the price...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
ergh thats a really good question, ur going to get a mix answer for this one. personally i think you're better off going to a store
test both of them out though a good amp. and thn determine which one you like best
Umm, that is a good question. Ive played my friends Epi G-400. it seems to be a good solid guitar. But if you have been playing for 8 years i would probably save up and get the gibson. It really is up to u. The best way to know which one you want is to go and play them. Good Luck
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
maybe try to find a used gibson sg standard..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I'd look out for an used Elitist and save a bit, or maybe find a good Japanese copy.

Between those two, it's really a 50/50 shot of getting a good guitar. Both guitars have had quality control issues however I have played both the Faded SG and G-400. Both of which were really nice great playing guitars so I suggest just trying em and picking the one that feels the best.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
thanks for the replies, guys. I just really don't know what to do, I'm trying to get my first job in the summertime and thought I should buy a very nice guitar as my main ax before school starts.

When trying out the Les Paul, I also tried the G-400 and almost bought that instead. I went with the Paul because Slash, Jimmy Page, and Noel Gallagher are my biggest influences.

I guess i shoudl try 'em out. It'll probably come down to how cheap I really am
Quote by strat335
thanks for the replies, guys. I just really don't know what to do, I'm trying to get my first job in the summertime and thought I should buy a very nice guitar as my main ax before school starts.

When trying out the Les Paul, I also tried the G-400 and almost bought that instead. I went with the Paul because Slash, Jimmy Page, and Noel Gallagher are my biggest influences.

I guess i shoudl try 'em out. It'll probably come down to how cheap I really am

Just get the one that plays best. I like to think that instead of you finding the guitar, it works the other way around.

Still i'd look into saving up and getting a good Japanese copy of a Gibson if not a Gibson itself. In the future it'll definitely be worth it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Sg standard

or maybe a g-400 is you are impatient.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
G-400 and using the left over money to upgrade > the low-end Gibsons. Get the Epi, get new pickups, maybe have the nut changed, you're good to go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i use to own a Gibson SG Standard, theyre not 4.77 times as good as the G-400
good things come to those who wait --- yeah i dont know what significance that has either.lol.

I suppose it means that you are better saving for the Gibson. Lol
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I think you get a better bang for you buck with the g400. Your just paying for the gibson logo with the faded series imo opinion
test both, but personally, i like the faded better. its really just a matter of opinion with this one.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I have a Gibson faded SG special. Damn sweet. I haven't had my hands on the g400 but I've heard lots of good stuff about them.
no competition
sg faded.
though if you can't be arsed saving up for one
then a g400 is a bitching guitar in nearly every aspect
haha it looks like its mixed. so just try them both out.

here are some things to help you out.

SG faded special (from what I hear)

has bad fret jobs many times
has no real finish (like gloss)
has no binding
set neck
dot inlays
says "Gibson" on the head stock
and from what I hear its neck heavy

G-400 (from my experience with it)

has pretty good fret job (atleast mine, sometimes you find bad ones)
has some sort of glossy finish (not sure what it is)
also no binding
also set neck
trapazoid inlays
says "Epiphone" on the headstock
and is also neck heavy

also I hear that Gibsons have bad quality for their cheaper guitars....

so the only real advantage to the gibson is the name, well also the electronics..
Quote by RetroGunslinger