Page 1 of 2
My band is looking for a new singer, and one that we found is a girl. Our songs however, are all from a male standpoint.

For instance, one of our covers is Big Balls, by AC/DC, another one of our songs, has the line "When I was but a little boy", and many of our songs are about having sex with women, or doing other activities that usually only men do.

What should we do? Should we change the lyrics to "He" instead of "I" or should she just go ahead and sing from the male standpoint?

We are a hard rock/heavy metal band, think inbetween AC/DC and Iron Maiden.
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
that only really works for chiodos imo

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Easy fix: Get a good male singer.
Female fronted bands have a much harder time being taken seriously. Inb4 Paramore, Arch Enemy, Kittie, Heart etc, i'm not talking about things like that. I mean for his specific band with his songs as they are, a female vocalist won't work. Changing the I's to He's and having her sing it will sound tacky.

Just my opinion.
I would listen to that.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Easy fix: Get a good male singer.
Female fronted bands have a much harder time being taken seriously. Inb4 Paramore, Arch Enemy, Kittie, Heart etc, i'm not talking about things like that. I mean for his specific band with his songs as they are, a female vocalist won't work. Changing the I's to He's and having her sing it will sound tacky.

Just my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing too, but, alot of female fronted bands also pull listeners in, just because they have a chick in the band, and we could really get all the fans we can get, even with cheap gimmicks and whatnot.

But don't get me wrong, we aren't getting a girl just to get a girl, we're getting her because she's really the only person we've found who is not only talented, but also commited.
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
thank you. i like chiodos tho i meant nothing ill of them
I hAz A fLaMe ShIeLd BtW!!!!

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at May 24, 2008,
I see three clear cut choices here;

1. Replace her
2. Rewrite the lyrics
3. Risk it and have her sing from from a male standpoint

If I was in your shoes I'd replace her when you're able to find a good male frontman.
Have her sing big balls anyway. If it doesnt turn out so good at least everyone will get a kick out of a girl screaming that she has big balls.
Quote by vash_08
I was thinking the same thing too, but, alot of female fronted bands also pull listeners in, just because they have a chick in the band, and we could really get all the fans we can get, even with cheap gimmicks and whatnot.

But don't get me wrong, we aren't getting a girl just to get a girl, we're getting her because she's really the only person we've found who is not only talented, but also commited.

If she's talented and committed, keep her. Female fronted bands rock IMO.
Quote by Aramis
If she's talented and committed, keep her. Female fronted bands rock IMO.

We're definately keeping her, as long as she performs well live, but I still want everyone's opinion on weather or not we should change the lyrics.
Big Balls, just keep that the same.

As to the others, re-gender them so that they're from the female perspective.
Keep the lyrics from a male perspective and just have her pretend to be a lesbian.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
It's not that difficult to change a *lot* of song's gender. AC/DC are a bit of an exception in that they are really greasy, manly rock and roll, along with Aerosmith, but there's a load of things out there where you wouldn't have a problem. Just don't be afraid to make significant changes. In general people aren't that fussed about lyrics anyway, unfortunately

As long as she sings them as though she believes what she's saying, that's all that's important. Hell, an audience is likely to be happier listening to a girl singing about going out and getting laid than a guy, particularly if she's got a good stage presence.

Also, move to doing covers of songs which have female singers, or where the songs aren't just about sex. Jefferson Airplane are the obligatory 'awesome female vocalist' example, but look into some Queen as well. Freddie Mercury sang pretty high a lot of the time, and enough of the lyrics are ambiguous enough about his sexuality for there not to be a problem with a female singer.

Garbage are an example of how a female vocalist can get away with having that hard-rocking edge - watch videos of them live, and watch Shirley Manson. She's a great frontwoman, singing great songs.
Quote by civildp1
Keep the lyrics from a male perspective and just have her pretend to be a lesbian.

hahahaha thats wat i was thinkin, nice one.

bak to the TS:
learn sweet child o mine i heard this female frontman sing itonce, sounded great
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Female fronted bands have a much harder time being taken seriously.

It depends on genre. Arch Enemy and Nightwish get taken a lot more seriously then say My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy. Keep in mind the music scene in the United States doesn't translate to every other country and culture in the world. It depends what you mean by "seriously," as well.

Just to point out, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts more or less is a cover band, and she usually just sings the exact lyrics of the song, I Love Rock 'N' Roll is the only exception I can think of, and most, if not all, of the songs she covers are by male bands (The Arrows, Gary Glitter, AC/DC, Sweet, Nazareth, J. Geils Band, etc).
Quote by vash_08

Well said.
Every time I've heard a recording of a song originaly recorded by a male that talks about the opposite sex being covered by a female singer, they've changed the lyrics slightly.
Example, an all female band called Girlschool covered a song by Mark Bolan called '20th Century Boy.' The lyrics for part of the song were '20th century toy, I wanna be your boy.' which Girlschool changed to '20th century boy, I wanna be your toy.'
Sounds like you have quite a dillema.

Quote by Evadlite
I see three clear cut choices here;

1. Replace her
2. Rewrite the lyrics
3. Risk it and have her sing from from a male standpoint

If I was in your shoes I'd replace her when you're able to find a good male frontman.

I would not go with #3. #2 is best, in my opinion.
Depends on the songs. For the most part, I would just either change the gender, or the point of view.

IE, the first verse of "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure could go from
"Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream" she said
"The one that makes me laugh" she said
And threw her arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it
And I promise you I promise that
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"

to

The one that makes me scream" he said
"The one that makes me laugh" he said
And threw his arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"

or

The one that makes me scream" I said
"The one that makes me laugh" I said
And threw my arms around his neck
"Show me how you do it
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"

However, if I were you I would just avoid any song that is overtly about being male, that wouldn't work either way. (Keeping mind, of course, that girls can be bad ass and horny as well. They just don't have a penis, you know?)

For the most part, though, remember that few people will be listening all that closely.
Dunno how this applies, but there was apparently a fad in Japan in the late 90s for the exact sort of gender reversal you describe. men singing women's songs, and vice versa.

the way I see it, if her voice is good enough, no one will give a damn.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
One of my favourite covers ever is Jack White/The White Stripes' cover of Jolene by Dolly Parton. He sings that stock, and I think it would cheapen it if he didnt.

Just like Joss Stone's version of Fell In Love With a Girl...uh, boy.
I have to say I'm disappointed with many of the negative replies towards women in music in this thread. But I suppose I should have suspected this from a message board dominated by 14 year-old boys.

Quote by vash_08

This is really all that matters in a singer because as said earlier

Quote by Wulver
the way I see it, if her voice is good enough, no one will give a damn.

As for Big Balls I would have her sing the lyrics as they are. Big Balls is a joke song that definitely doesn't take itself seriously. Having someone from the opposite sex sing makes it even more comedic.

As for the other songs, switch the lyrics slightly. Such as "when I was a little girl" in your other song instead of "when I was a little boy".
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
i cant stand bands with chick singers. Not that they cant sing but its just not metal =/
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
You could change the lyrics, but it will sound weird for you guys considering the rest of your band is all male... and by weird I mean gay.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by Death_To_Emo
girls can have Big Balls too

Pretty much
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by Tig Bitties
i cant stand bands with chick singers. Not that they cant sing but its just not metal =/

Have you ever heard of Skunk Anansie? Their female singer, Skin, has one of the most powerful voices I've ever heard, from any singer, regardless of gender.
well if shes gonna be a permanent member of the band and u do plan on writing any songs atl all ever then it should be from a female perspective or anyones perspective but if ur doing covers no one really cares...especially if ur doing a song like Big Balls ...it REALLY doesnt matter cuz i mean cmon. big balls, u cant do any better?
Food for thought.

Does it really matter? If you're playing live in front of an audience, how many of them are really going to stop and think about it? How many are even going to make the connection? Maybe 1 out of every 20 or 30.

Seriously, I've played some terrible gigs, botched solos, missed chords/queues, wrong lyrics at the wrong time, and the band got just as many compliments on how great we were as any night where we played 100% perfect. People just don't notice.

Now, if you were going to record this stuff that'd be a different matter.
Who cares about a girl singing maleish songs ? We don't care of the singer's sex singing the lyrics, we care about the singer's talent and meaning of lyrics
Quote by metalgirl0
Who cares about a girl singing maleish songs ? We don't care of the singer's sex singing the lyrics, we care about the singer's talent and meaning of lyrics

well depending on the lyrics that might be kind of weird.

But anyway keep her and ask what she want to do with the lyrics, she's the one singing them after all.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have an idea: Don't play songs like Big Balls. If I was at a bar and heard the beginning of big balls I'd be out the door before it finished. Besides, if no one is actually singing do you really need a vocalist?
Page 1 of 2