I recently purchased a Peavey Classic 30 at Guitar Center (I had to order it online because GC never has one on display). I returned it because I thought the Black Vinyl could have been more durable. I purchased a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It sounds GREAT, but it's a bit too big for the space in my basement and it REALLY IS LOUD. Can't turn it past 2. So now I feel it has too much power for my needs. Guitar Center is GREAT at taking things back. Now I feel I should have given the Classic 30 more of a chance. I was considering the Mesa Express 5/25, for its size and qaulity. What do you guys think? Should I return the Hot Rod and get the Peavey Classic 30 or spend the BIG bucks (Is it worth it?) and go with the Mesa Express 5/25? MANY 'THANKS' for your suggestions.
I've played on that mesa quite a bit and I have to say it's an outstanding amp, suited to all but the highest of high gain black metal. Also, the hot rod is about as loud as it will be at two since they use logarithmic pots which make the volume come on much too quickly, the mesa will actually not be a much quiter in 25 watt mode (though much quieter in 5 watt mode) I say if you have the money and like the express there's no reason not to get it. I would try a used f-30 first since it will be cheaper and sound about the same, albeit with a few less options and a bit less versatility.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT...I LEARNED a lesson from all of this. And Guitar Center's been GREAT about taking them back...just to make the customer happy. Should I go back to the Classic? How about Peavey's Jack Daniels model? Or the Express 5/25, or how about one of the other Fenders...like the Blues Junior? I APPRECIATE all suggestions.
well a tube amp has to be loud to sound good dude, even that classic 30 will sound like crap at real low volume.
The express is the best amp you listed there. If you like how it sounds go for it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
well a tube amp has to be loud to sound good dude, even that classic 30 will sound like crap at real low volume.

No it doesn't.

I honestly don't like the Express series at all and feel the F series was superior in all genres. The only cool thing about it is the ability to switch down to 5W (imo).

I'd just go back to the Classic 30 if you liked it. What kinda tones are you looking for?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol..
yeah.. it does.

I've played several tube amps and when you play them at whisper volume they sound like ****.

you have to crank those things.
louder the better
Quote by TechnicolorType
lol..
yeah.. it does.

I've played several tube amps and when you play them at whisper volume they sound like ****.

you have to crank those things.
louder the better

Go play more then. There's PLENTY of tube amps that sound great at low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Go play more then. There's PLENTY of tube amps that sound great at low volumes.

Agreed, my F30 sounds good at low volumes, although it does sound it's best cranked.