well,im making the big move...im a songwriter for my band, used to play guitar, but im movin on over...got lots of theory,been able to write some cool runs and whatnot.
anyways, i play prog metal/experimental...any bass players i should listen to?

right now im listenin to a lot of geddy lee, cliff burton/newsted, opeth

for gear,ive got an old peavey markIII head with a 1x15 and 1x18 cab, and have access to my dads fender precision...what should i look into for gear.the head is old, and i'd like a 5 string,,should probably get some fuzz,since we've got 1 guitarist...also,will my guitar wah work for my bass? should i look into some kind of tone pedal instead of an amp...any suggested guitars? plan on selling my jackson rr24 for funds, so lets say 1500 bux price range.(can go over)

any good lessons i should look into here?...i got a lot of it down, i play loads of lead guitar and used to play bass, and always kinda fiddled on it

thx in advance
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
BTW...have an old aria pro bass..could take the neck off that and build a bass to my specs, body shape,ect.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

ya,that what i mean^
play bass live, write guitar stuff...will record guitar tracks,ect
selling rr24,keeping les paul..rr24 is good for straight edge metal, not prog,so sell
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Bootsy Collins

While they're more funk/jazz style, I find that listening to different styles makes fills and runs that much easier and enjoyable to make. (I play bass for rock n' roll/progressive rock/ska)
oh, sorry, its just in your post it seems as if you are just completely abolishing guitar.

and, the only advice i can give is dont look at the bass as a guitar with 4 strings and a deeper sound, learn from scratch, fingerpicking instead of plectrum etc...
ya,im all finger...i can go 3 fingers...and ya,i had 1 guitar player switch 2 bass before and it went like that,playing guitar parts on bass...my dads a bassist,and i learned bass before i learned guitar...like i say, i do runs and whatnot..i'll add some mp3s to my bands page after june 6th (battle of the bands,i'll get a line out of the board
one thing i like to do as play root/fifth/octave and alternate the to higher notes of the roots,,,i find it works well for simple parts, 2 chors,vocal driven,ect..
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

If you can proficiently play guitar, you should have no trouble moving to bass. It's a bit different of a beast, and the feel takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not hard. I learned bass after gutiar, and the most i can equate it to is learning Tuba after learning Trumpet. It's all relative, and you should have no trouble.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you gotta learn bass cleff, but that's not very hard after treble cleff.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at May 23, 2008,
thx, i hope i'll be able to pick it up quickly
any gear suggestions? will the zakk wylde wah work with a bass rig?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

^ i think so, although they do make bass wahs for a reason, you will probably lose your lows a fair bit
If you like Dream Theater is big around here, i have only heard a few songs from them but i liked what i heard.
your dad's p-bass... vey nice. use that for now. (wish my dad had a p-bass.)

try one of these later.

AWWW YEAH!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
haha,that things pretty sick...and ya,good ole p-bass....
i dont plan on buying anything soon, but any long term suggestions?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Probably a 210 to go on the 15 for highs. Maybe a bass overdrive. One thing to be careful about is to always fulfill the role of a bassist first and then add flourishes. You have to know when to do complex lines and when just sticking to the root would be best. As for bassists to listen to try some Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan, Geezer Butler, and Les Claypool.
Listen to some James Jamerson.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by wyldeshredder
will the zakk wylde wah work with a bass rig?

No, those pedals are not designed to process the low frequencies, that is why the Bass Wah is made, it wont break the pedal, but it just doesn't work at all in my experience
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
thx chemicalFire
i think i'm gonna stick with my dads P-bass, he said it would be fine to use it..its got a great neck, and its one of the few models with 2 pickups in it....the truss rod is stripped though, its in the shop right now, and i think the tech has figured out how to adjust it...great guitar though
as for amps, what should i look into? the old mark3 peavey is about 20 years outdated...
my bass amp education isnt very up to par yet..is there any amp with footswitchable fuzz?
any reccomendations?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
thx chemicalFire
i think i'm gonna stick with my dads P-bass, he said it would be fine to use it..its got a great neck, and its one of the few models with 2 pickups in it....the truss rod is stripped though, its in the shop right now, and i think the tech has figured out how to adjust it...great guitar though
as for amps, what should i look into? the old mark3 peavey is about 20 years outdated...
my bass amp education isnt very up to par yet..is there any amp with footswitchable fuzz?
any reccomendations?

Distortion is the fastest way to fall out of the mix with bass. Fuzz especially. To thicken up your sound, proper overdrive (e.g. Fulltone Bass Drive) and chorus are the way to go. The few who use fuzz often use blender pedals, a biamped rig or some other way of running a clean signal under the mix to keep the bass present.

Don't worry about an amp being old. If it works, it should sound good.

Also, I would recommend getting a cab with a smaller speaker size to use with one of the other cabs. The 15" and 18" sizes accentuate the low end. Smaller speakers will help bring clarity. On the note, what is the resistance/impedance of each of the cabs?

Remember to treat bass different to guitar. Get into a bassists mindset, and remember to keep your thumb on the back of the neck as a pivot. None of this guitarist 'wrap your thumb around the neck' nonsense.

A guitar wah will castrate your bass's low end. Don't do it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Along with the thumb on the back of the neck, two other bits of advice....

1. Keep that fretting arm elbow closer to your body. Its the opposite of guitar
2. Get yourself a good wide strap and use it all of the time. Your puny guitar strap will not do at all.
Don't use guitar pedals you will disappear from the mix.

Ask if you can get the P-bass restrung with new strings to make it sound good, especially if they haven't been changed for a while.

The amp should be fine as long as it works. They tend to be pretty durable.

Seems like you know how to make a line a bit more interesting. (Octaves, 5ths etc). Just don't go all rootnotey on me.
Paint it Black. Seriously. I know it's not a metal band, but get a copy of their new album "New Lexicon".

The bass is really forward in the mix and shows exactly how heavy you can sound with a bass, a little distortion and a flanger. Couldn't reccomend it enough.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
the precision was restrung about a month ago when my dad used it for a gig, and it hasnt been played much at all since, so the strings will have enough life in them.
one of the cabs is 4ohm, the other is 8ohm...i think. they've been running together forever, this rig is my uncles from the early 80's i think..the amp has a parametric EQ on it, and i've been able to get a fairly punchy tone out of it, although not as good as using 10's.
so,bass OD/DIST. pedals...what should i be looking for?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

also, i usually never wrap my thumb around the neck,even when playing guitar, so it wont be a problem to get used to...the p-bass is one of the precision elites (2 p/ups!, and lots of tone shaping knobs)..they only made them for 2 years, and its got a c-shaped neck(says harmony central review) so it kind of forces using that grip...i've got a good wide levi's strap for it,
must say,im pretty psyched for playing bass now..makes the band feel very full and well rounded...i think 4 super dedicated guys > 4+1 sort of dedicated guy, even if u have 2 guitarists in there for harmonies.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
the precision was restrung about a month ago when my dad used it for a gig, and it hasnt been played much at all since, so the strings will have enough life in them.
one of the cabs is 4ohm, the other is 8ohm...i think. they've been running together forever, this rig is my uncles from the early 80's i think..the amp has a parametric EQ on it, and i've been able to get a fairly punchy tone out of it, although not as good as using 10's.
so,bass OD/DIST. pedals...what should i be looking for?

I would recommend getting an 8 ohm 410 or 212 cab (both with a tweeter) and running that with the 8 ohm cab. It should just help round out the tone a bit more. While two woofers will give you one hell of a low end, I doubt it will have much clarity.

As for overdrive, I can only say positive things about the Fulltone Bass Drive. It can range from your clean tone pissed of to a decent amount of distortion. It has a great sound on any setting I have tried. Well worth the price.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
im thinking of buying a hartke hydrive 2x10 or 1x10, and i'll run it through the 15 for extra power if needed....heard anything good or bad about hartke? my dads friend has a 1x10, and my dad did sound for him on night, and he said it sounded great..has a kick back design too, so if needed,i can use it as a monitor, and just send the signal to the board,
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Hartke should be solid stuff. If I were you, I'd use the head and 8ohm cab you have and get an 8ohm 2x12 or 2x10 cab with tweeter. Basically what gm jack said.

Also a Line 6 Bass POD would be helpful. It's got all the effects you'll need for a while and has enough stuff to spice up your tone if it's a little lacking.

EDIT: Another thought! If you so wanted to, you could sell the 4ohm cab and head, along with your guitar and get a power amp and the POD and use the POD as the preamp.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at May 24, 2008,
i dont really have selling power...its my dad/uncles old gear,so its not goin anywhere
but i'll look into line 6
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer