I've had my MIM tele for almost a year now and have been impressed every once in a while with the tone. I just recently got a peavey valveking and love it to death, but my guitar seems to be lacking.

I play literally everything i can except for metal. I've started a little band and we can play John Mayer to mewithoutYou to Buckethead. Now i think this could be something to do with my pickups but i also thought about just selling it and trying to get a les paul or a strat of some sort. I just think i would like something with at least 1 humbucker in it.

i really would just like some experienced opinions on this. Thanks in advance.
Woohoo.
i have about $200 now.

and i want something that can do everything.
from blues to ambiance to shred.
Woohoo.
Get a Roland Cube 30X, they are really versatile and cheap. It's got all the effects that you need already built in.
Its the most logical solution. A new guitar or new pickups will do almost NOTHING if you have a crap amp. Save yourself money and frustration and get a good amp if you havent already.
I said i have a peavey valveking like in the second line of the whole post.

50 watts all tube. it's perfectly fine.

But thanks anyway.
Woohoo.
Didn't your MIM tele cost more than $200? Hard to upgrade it if you have less cash, and selling it won't get you a lot more, So you'll probably end up with around $400 total. Not too many great guitars around that price, the tele is probably the best.

But bring the peavey to a gc or wherever you shop (if they don't have one) and just plug in and play guitars around your price range and see if any of them are the one that you're looking for, and give the sound you wnat
Quote by pak1351
Didn't your MIM tele cost more than $200? Hard to upgrade it if you have less cash, and selling it won't get you a lot more, So you'll probably end up with around $400 total. Not too many great guitars around that price, the tele is probably the best.

But bring the peavey to a gc or wherever you shop (if they don't have one) and just plug in and play guitars around your price range and see if any of them are the one that you're looking for, and give the sound you wnat

+1 to that idea, but he shouldn't need to bring his amp to Guitar Center... even the crappiest GC's will have Valvekings on display.

TS, what exactly about your tone are you not liking? I'm thinking that swapping out the tubes and speaker in your VK might be a better idea than new pickups or a guitar.
If you like the feel of the tele and are comfortable with it, just change the pickups.

The stock pickups are not gonna compare to a stacked Duncan or Dimarzio in any way.

In other words U can add humbuckers to your tele with no problem.
I'd suggest a Duncan 59' for what you've described but as I mentioned Duncan & Dimarzio make several so the sky is the limit.

I have a couple of 59's and they sound great in humbucker mode and great split in single coil mode also.

So, I'd choose a replacement single coil sized humbucker and have it installed with a push-pull tone pot.
Then you'd have two modes in the bridge position for two distinct sounds.
The more the better!
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Get a Roland Cube 30X, they are really versatile and cheap. It's got all the effects that you need already built in.

Lol at you. Telling him to massively downgrade from a Peavey ValveKing.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I suggest selling the guitar, that should put you at around $400. I'd suggest ordering an Agile Al-3000. Such an amazing guitar for less than $400. You can look up sound clips on youtube of it against a Gibson Les Paul for $2200. They sound almost identical. The guitar is very versitial.
TS, you have a damn fine amp. Don't sell it. Maybe if you have the time and money you could put in a new speaker or some new valves, but other than that you have made the right call about modding your guitar. IMO the MIM Std Tele is a fantastic guitar for the money, and with a couple of adjustments can be made even better. I'd say to shell out for some new pickups, as I'd say the stock Mexican ones can sound a bit sterile at times. Look at some higher output singlecoils from Seymour Duncan or another reputable pickup manufacturer.
Ive heard Lace do some good Tele pickups, but i cant say from experience, ive only looked on YouTube at them XD
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I guess what i find is wrong is that the pickups sound sterile most of the time. i definitely Love the feel of my tele.

Would it be worth it to put some sort of strat single coil in the neck or maybe the dimarzio twang king. or even something like a hotrail or a yjm?

And should i just rout out a place in the bridge and buy a new bridge plate thing and put a full sized humbucker or should i just stick with stacked humbuckers?

I just need pickups that can do distortion and cleans.
Woohoo.
It's not necessary to route or change to a humbucker bridge cause they make single coil sized humbuckers.

You have many choices for a bridge pickup:

Dimarzio - Chopper, Tone Zone, Super Distortion

Seymour Duncan- Hot Lead Stack, Lil 59', Hot Rail,

Use one of these for the distorted sounds and get a replacement stacked neck pickup like a Dimarzio Area T.
It'll give you some great clean tones in the neck position.

It seems to be the only stacked tele neck I can find.

You will notice a big change in sound from any of these.
maybe you should keep the MIM tele and save up for an extra guitar with high gain humbuckers.... something like an Ibanez or an Schecter! I think that would be the best thing to do....

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by Iplayblues
Ok but a strat pickup in the neck wouldn't be any better?

They're of the same single coil design, so better.........no, more choices..........yes.
You'd need a new pickguard and possibly a bigger route to accommodate one too.

Stick with what fits and'll be cheaper and easier to have installed.

I buy used pickups to save myself. Look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Older-Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Stack-STK-T2b-Tele-Pickup_W0QQitemZ200225466199QQihZ010QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seymour-Duncan-STHR-1-Tele-Hot-Rails-Pickup-Black_W0QQitemZ300227654515QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seymour-Duncan-STK-T1n-Vintage-Stack-for-Tele_W0QQitemZ300227659458QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
^ thanks for that. i like that vintage stack.

I would however prefer a Dimarzio in the bridge. Something like a chopper t or a fast track t.

Ritchie Kotzen uses the Chopper T and i like his tone.
I also have a pickguard routed for a strat neck pickup that i've never used and my tele is routed to fit a bucker in the neck.
Woohoo.