I'm still learning chords and stuff so bear with me.

I found two chords I really like, Cmaj7 and E.

Cmaj7

---
  -0-
  -0-
  -2-
  -3-
  ---

and

E

-0-
  -0-
  -1-
  -2-
  ---
  ---

If I want my tonic to be C, am I correct in thinking that the only scales that fit those chords are either C Double Harmonic (Byzantine) or C Harmonic Major?

Should I not choose C to be the tonic here? I don't know, if anybody could help me that'd be great, thanks.
Those chords are not found in any one key. However, both of those chords fit nicely in an Am progression using the major V chord (E major).

Converesly, a common progression is D Bb C. Moved up a whole step, you get E C D. Stick the maj7 on the C if you wish. This is an odd E major riff, but kind of cool.

Quote by Metallist65
For some ****in theory stead of uneducated ****...if C is your tonic, I'd say C Harmonic Minor.
*Reported*
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at May 23, 2008,
For some ****in theory stead of uneducated ****...if C is your tonic, I'd say C Harmonic Minor.
Sounds like a modulation to A minor to me. There's a lot of pieces that feature a III chord and arguably the most common usage for it is to modulate into the relative minor. An example of a progression like this would be C E Am G.
Thanks for your help everyone. As I said the notes of the chords themselves fit into the C Double Harmonic (Byzantine) or C Harmonic Major scales and I improvised over the two chords with both scales and it sounded pretty good. And I'm writing progressive metal type stuff so the oddness of the chord combination is exactly what I was going for