so i plan on jammin with a bassist but ive never palyed with one before . so i m wondering when im soloing. since hes going to be using single notes how do i get in key with him. for example if i want to play harmonic minor in the key of D, would the bassist only be bale to use the notes within that scale as a backing track in order to stay in key. so he could only use the notes: D E F G A B# C# ?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
well if he is a good bassist then he can comp which without describing it basicly is accompanying a solo.if he skilled and he knowa the chord,key and changes(if any).then you have no problem
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
If you are playing harmonic minor in D, I think the bassist can play anything somewhat relating to a minor scale (natural minor, blues scale, whatever) I think. If I were playing with you that's what I'd do. I'd probably play notes in the natural minor scale.
yeha but basically play the notes within the key that im soloing in. right?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Depends on the song and the style, it is quite possible that it might sound better for him to play straight eighth notes roots for the entire solo, it might sound better if he just played the bass part from the verse or chorus, it might even sound better if the two of you basically traded back and forth. Odds are though, if he does anything outside of the scale you are using, it would probably be very short notes that are resolving into the scale you are using.
we are just jamming. we dont have a set song we are using. i was just asssuming that if i was solkoing in E harmonic minor that he would be using a backing also in the key of E harmonic minor
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92