Would this work? Use the combo amp like an amp head and run it into a speaker cab. Would I need to match wattage or anything?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
ok. How easy would it be to take all the controls for the combo amp out and rehouse them in something that would sit an a cab better?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
ok. How easy would it be to take all the controls for the combo amp out and rehouse them in something that would sit an a cab better?

Pretty easy and you dont even have to re-cab it.

Take out the speaker take about 6-8 inchs out of the middle of the combo amp pretty much right were the speaker used to be. Put back together but with an internal brace on the inside example some wood along the inner walls to hold it together. Then put material of your choice to cover the hole in the front and your done. Combo turned insta head...
So basically cut where the red lines are, glue the sides back together and brace it on the inside?
Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

^Pure genius, too bad some combos aren't really efficient with spacing of some parts since they have so much room.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by lbj273
So basically cut where the red lines are, glue the sides back together and brace it on the inside?

Right on the money.... Was hoping i was clear, i typed that out kind of fast lol

Quote by Kevin Saale
^Pure genius, too bad some combos aren't really efficient with spacing of some parts since they have so much room.

Only issues i usually run across is the reverb tank. Usually I just leave enough space for it to mount to the bottom instead of the side wall. The great thing is its custom so if you need more room leave more room ya know...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 23, 2008,
wait you have you build a head out of the combo?? never heard of that before. wth
isnt it just combo amp sitting on top of a cab using its speakers like head+2x12(or whatever) sitting on top of a 4x12? thats how a lot of people do it.. but if you wanna cut your amp go ahead
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Much wiser to just keep the combo as is.

If you go choppin at it, it'll ruin the value, and everything else great about combo amps.

You can sit a 2x12 or 4x12 cab under the combo and still have a combo to haul around.

You just need to match impedance(ohm level). There is a certain way it breaks down though. Your head will have a certain impedance, and your 6 speakers have come together in whatever the equation is.
My combo amp has an 8 ohm speaker out, so if I'm building a cab with only 1 speaker that has to be 8 ohms also right? The amp pictured is not my amp, I have a small fender combo amp that the speaker is failing in but I otherwise like the sound I get from it.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

get a new speaker and use it as a head dont cut it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack