Someone on Craiglist has offered to trade me his 1974 JMP 50 for my JCM900 4100 head. What can you tell me about the JMP, and are the ones built in this year reliable? It looks pretty solid. He said it needs some pot clearing other then that it's fine...I don't want to trade for a project, so I asked him about it.

But yeah, what can you tell me about it? What artists have used them? I play blues, rock, and classic rock. Also alternative like The Strokes.
High as tits
as far as i know '74's are notorious for having more gain than other years, or so i've read and heard from other 74's Marshall's.

is it a master volume JMP?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
send a PM Gutch's way
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I'd jump on that. If you're not playing anything heavier than classic rock, it sounds like the perfect amp for you. The only thing is, it'll be damn loud. You'd need an OD or attenuator to get it to break up at bedroom levels.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Someone on Craiglist has offered to trade me his 1974 JMP 50 for my JCM900 4100 head. What can you tell me about the JMP, and are the ones built in this year reliable? It looks pretty solid. He said it needs some pot clearing other then that it's fine...I don't want to trade for a project, so I asked him about it.

But yeah, what can you tell me about it? What artists have used them? I play blues, rock, and classic rock. Also alternative like The Strokes.

it's good for the tones you want, but I am always suspicious of trades. Find out why he wants your amp and why he wants to get rid of his.
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 24, 2008,
Quote by Gutch220
it's a good for the tones you want, but I am always suspicious of trades. Find out why he wants your amp and why he wants to get rid of his.

He says he has two JMP heads, and wants to get rid of one to replace with a head with a master volume control.

Exact e-mail:
"Hey man, interested in a '74 JMP 50 watter? It's a 1987 model. Rocks. She's worth a bit more than the JCM 900, but older and needs some pot cleaning. Other than that functions perfectly. I have two of these and want a master volume head.

brian"
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at May 24, 2008,
The 1987xl model? Sounds good, but they have less features (no reverb or anything, only "presence" and a 3 band EQ), no master volume and you need to crank them to get any gain. Very vintage sounding, not good for heavier metal stuff but excells at classic rock, blues and Sabbath and EVH style metal. Nice cleans for a Marshall as well. Depending on your eardrums they can be intolerably loud for practice and a pain in the arse for a weak house PA.

Your call.
I don't play any metal. Sometimes I play some Metallica for funsies, but my band plays rock.
High as tits
Woops, sorry, of course! Well the Marshall 1987xl is a stunning amp, totally impractical for practicing on your own but it and its big bro the 100w 1959SLP are classic rock and blues. Gorgeous sound, but get earplugs!

I'm getting one in a week's time. Can't wait