I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now. Not religously, I play in leisure time. I can generally play anything I want to and learn it rather fast, but when it comes to solos that involve fast hammer ons and pull offs, I suck.

Any tips or exercises for getting faster and better at hammer ons/pull offs? I generally can't keep them going past 3 times, so they're quite weak...
Just keep doing them as fast as you can untill you cant do them anymore. And by as fast as you can i mean as fast as you can not as fast as you could when you started and before you got tired.
Learn your major and minor scales. Play them faster and faster. It'll help.

Oh and a tip for pull-offs: Pretend the fretboard is a piano keyboard. You're going to pull-off towards the piano, not upwards, away from the keys. Now back to a fretboard. You're going to be pulling off parallel to the face of the fretboard not perpendicular, but perpendicular to the neck. This will give the string a little more vibration for the second note.

I sure hope that made sense ^
oh yea, and ideally, you want your hammer-ons and pull-offs to basically be as loud as you picking the guitar
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
The Trooper.

/thread.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
qualtiy should take precedence when exercising your hammer on/pull off skills. Set a specific number of times u want 2 keep a hammer on/pull of lick going. Start out practicing it slow, making sure that every note sounds well and at a fairly even volume. From here, work ur speed up until u can play the riff at the speed u want it may take longer this way but it has many more long term benefits
also practice hammer ons/ pull offs with different sets of fingers because u will find that it is harder to execute these types of riffs using ur ring and pinky finger than with, say, ur index and middle finger
Quote by Quoteman
oh yea, and ideally, you want your hammer-ons and pull-offs to basically be as loud as you picking the guitar

my pull-offs and hammer -ons are actually louder than when i pick, strength comes with practice my friend
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by 68_SG
my pull-offs and hammer -ons are actually louder than when i pick, strength comes with practice my friend

Good for you, pompous much?
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Last edited by Quoteman at May 23, 2008,
Quote by 68_SG

I bet it doesn't sound to good then. Its supposed to be smooth not major vibrations after each note.
Quote by 68_SG

Cookie?
Quote by 68_SG

I call BS, unless your pick is made of wet noodle. Vid or it didn't happen.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead