Page 1 of 2
what do i use to just clean them? regular wet towel?
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
three inch tall mexicans.
I have no opinion on this matter.
windex and a paper towel works like a charm 4 me
and yes circular motion is best
i clean them every time i change strings. i just use dusting stuff for most of it.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Zugunruhe
three inch tall mexicans.

just FU and dont try to be funny.

and i dont clean mine
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Me, I treat my guitars well when they get their monthly cleaning.

1. Remove strings entirely (Yes, even on my Floyd, because I know how to re-set it back up)
2. I use a piece of plastic with a slit through it to fit around my frets (to keep the fretboard safe), and use Double-Zero (00) steel wool to polish every single one of them I like them nice and shiny.
3. I use a medium-hardness toothbrush to brush away any debris/dirt/etc from the fretboard, between the frets, and between the various other hardware on the guitar.
4. I use some rubbing alcohol on my fretboard, to clean it: letting it sit for about a minute.
5. I use lemon oil on the fretboard, afterwards, to keep it from drying out, and to give it a nice polish/shininess.
6. While the lemon oil is drying, I use some "Virtuoso" brand "Premium Cleaner" -- it's basically a wood cleaner/polish -- on the body of the guitar, polishing it up nicely.
7. Then I usually make a few last looks around the body of the guitar for any scuffs, dirt, or anything such as that around the headstock or other hardware near the bridge.
8. Finally, my babies get their new set of strings put on.

I use some old soft-cotton teeshirts as rags (in general, just a soft rag) and usually reserve one shirt for each of the three liquids.

Also, I generally speaking take about 20-30 minutes to do this for my Ibanez GRG170DX (I don't use the bridge on it, so setup's easy), and about 2-3 hours for my ESP MH-400 (setting up the floyd can be annoying, but it's worth it to make sure it's set up correctly each time) -- just for a time frame example.

That's just me, anyway. I like to keep them in good shape.
Last edited by TwistedVince at May 23, 2008,
With my brand new Fender Instrument Care Kit! Comes with three, count 'em three different cleaning solutions! Swirl and Haze Remover, Polish and Conditioner, and Mist and Wipe. It also comes with a genuine Meguiars cleaning rag! At Meguiars, we developed cleaning systems for cars, but when Fender asked us to develop cleaning solutions for musical instruments we couldn't say no. For only $17.95, you can get your own kit! Call 1-800-347-5700, or buy it from your local music store.

But seriously, that's what I use.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
i just pop it into the washing machine and use warm water, kinda leave it in there for 2 hours and then i pop it into the dryer
Quote by Typik
Lol, no ones given one good answer yet.
I love you UG

if he wanted an actual answer google would have been much faster.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I don't clean them either, when it gets too dirty it's time to buy a new one, or else take it apart and start a new custom project. I've had 3 guitars and haven't finished a project yet :stickpoke
With fire. If the guitar can't stand it, then it wasn't br00tal enough to begin with.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
tip: don't use lemon oil on a lacquered (basically maple) fretboard, and don't use general furniture polish, as the silicon in it can make some lacquers cloudy.

+1, I was going to post that.
Jet wash.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I only clean mine when i change the strings, but i use Gibson pump polish (for guitars, mandolins and banjoes) and a lint-free cloth. I got them free with one of my guitars a while back.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
those cloths you get to clean glasses with, and if needed a damp tissue, not soaking though,
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I clean the fretboard and thats it, I like my guitars to have the whole beat-up and well used look. Like the ones john frusciante or johnny greenwood use.
Gear Lists are for G*A*Y*S

I don't, because I'm HXC.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
well i thought u'd never ask...
i usually only clean 'em while i'm halfway through restringing them. first i squirt some funiture polish on it, then i rub that in using a cloth. then using another cloth rub it all again (gets rid of streaks in polish). once iv done this all over the guitar (body, neck, headstock... the lot) i take a small rag and give it a scoosh of lemon oil, which i rub up and down the fret board. once its completly soaked in i'll get put some new strings on.
I use lemon oil and stuff called fast fret for the neck, and furniture polish for the body
Quote by MightyAl
With fire. If the guitar can't stand it, then it wasn't br00tal enough to begin with.

+1

i use fast fret too for the neck.
i just use a duster, coz my guitar is a satin finish.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
*facewalls*

no,no,noooooooooooooooooo

DON'T use furniture polish, you WILL eventually f*ck up your coat o' laquer.

Water with a bit of lemon in works wonders without being damaging (for lacquer)
Wax for unfinished bodies (wipe on, wipe off)
DON'T let lemon oil soak into rosewood- it's a case of wipe on, a bit of rubbing, and wiping off the excess, or you saturate the wood.
I clean mine with Tears of Heaven.

Beat that.
ΙΓΘΝζΑ
か゚つてへこ
I use some Gibson polish and a cloth that came with my guitar.

I clean it everytime I change the strings.
its best to stay away from chemicals on any type of surface IMO. Some products can damage a guitar over time if used often enough.

I use a good quality micro fiber cloth with some water, it really does a great job on my electric.
for strings I have a string cleaning cloth that I use when I'm done playing for the day. Keeping the oils off the strings will make them last longer.
Mr Sheen and a cloth. Simple.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by TwistedVince
Me, I treat my guitars well when they get their monthly cleaning.

1. Remove strings entirely (Yes, even on my Floyd, because I know how to re-set it back up)
2. I use a piece of plastic with a slit through it to fit around my frets (to keep the fretboard safe), and use Double-Zero (00) steel wool to polish every single one of them I like them nice and shiny.
3. I use a medium-hardness toothbrush to brush away any debris/dirt/etc from the fretboard, between the frets, and between the various other hardware on the guitar.
4. I use some rubbing alcohol on my fretboard, to clean it: letting it sit for about a minute.
5. I use lemon oil on the fretboard, afterwards, to keep it from drying out, and to give it a nice polish/shininess.
6. While the lemon oil is drying, I use some "Virtuoso" brand "Premium Cleaner" -- it's basically a wood cleaner/polish -- on the body of the guitar, polishing it up nicely.
7. Then I usually make a few last looks around the body of the guitar for any scuffs, dirt, or anything such as that around the headstock or other hardware near the bridge.
8. Finally, my babies get their new set of strings put on.

I use some old soft-cotton teeshirts as rags (in general, just a soft rag) and usually reserve one shirt for each of the three liquids.

Also, I generally speaking take about 20-30 minutes to do this for my Ibanez GRG170DX (I don't use the bridge on it, so setup's easy), and about 2-3 hours for my ESP MH-400 (setting up the floyd can be annoying, but it's worth it to make sure it's set up correctly each time) -- just for a time frame example.

That's just me, anyway. I like to keep them in good shape.

Is what I would do if I was less lazy.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Piss all over it, then dry it off with a flannel.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Dance_of_Death
i don't

Yeah, I have yet to do so...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Monkey Biscuits
well i thought u'd never ask...
i usually only clean 'em while i'm halfway through restringing them. first i squirt some funiture polish on it, then i rub that in using a cloth. then using another cloth rub it all again (gets rid of streaks in polish). once iv done this all over the guitar (body, neck, headstock... the lot) i take a small rag and give it a scoosh of lemon oil, which i rub up and down the fret board. once its completly soaked in i'll get put some new strings on.

I do the same, did you see this way on google? You missed the part where you use a stanley knife to scrape the bad later of fretboard wood off, because there is a new layer growing beneath it.
I use Windolene for the body, cotton buds for tricky dusting and a duster to wipe the windolene off.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Old t-shirt.
Need to get some kind of proper washing thingy for the neck soon though. :/
--------
Page 1 of 2