Warning: Long post

I have been playing about 2 years now. Use to play when I was a kid, but only remembered a few chords etc.

Now im not much better, admittedly there are periods where i wouldnt play for a few weeks and generally I only play every second day maybe 30 minutes to an hour.

I can play simple stuff like chords and i know some set scale patterns like minor pent and blues, but have struggled to teach myself how to transfer those notes to other patterns so i dont have to move my hands up and down the fret board when changing key etc. I read most of the lessons on here, have a few books and watched videos on youtube. I guess Im just not suited to lead stuff. I am intelligent, I just get confused by the amount of contradiction in this area with lessons and peoples ways of seeing things like CAGED vs 3nps.

I just bought a strap and learning to play standing, not to difficult, but hands get at funny angles, but I think i will adjust.

I know a number of parts to songs but not entire songs (because of my useless lead skills). I can play the likes of purple haze or hey joe properly, umm, i can play 5 or so acdc songs, a little bit of layla, just learning metallica now and love it (much easier), a little bit of this and that really if you know what i mean. Im reasonably good at noodling the blues minor pattern, will play a chord then just go a little loose on the scale. I think thats my prob though, Im stuck in my set noodles, so maybe i should be exploring some new riff patterns to explore before learning new scales. not sure.

My guitar is a samick GB malibu which has crap pickups which are low gain and noisy (go figure), i play through a amplug and headies at the moment as i travel a lot (hence why sometimes i dont play for a while). Im looking to replace guitar soon, but this isnt the reason why im not progressing. I was playing acoustic for a while which sometimes I prefer, but enjoy the electric sound too.

Im frustrated a little, I know im not talented at guitar, but I enjoy it and looking at guitars and everything that goes with it.

What will help me over this hump? Lessons I thought about.

Is it commitment?

Im not looking to get flamed here, just looking for some good honest advice. Have read lots on searches i have done, but want some advice specific to my case. Thanks.
learn major scale and how's it made

the patterns on the neck

intervals and how to make basic triad chords
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
learn major scale and how's it made

the patterns on the neck

intervals and how to make basic triad chords

thanks. i started doing that, well i spent a month or so intensely doing it, but i found so much distraction with things like patterns, ie people would say learn caged, or learn 3nps, learn modes etc etc.

but put simply, to me it made more sense (theory wise) to learn all the notes on the fretboard and how scales were made up. in practise it was too demanding. but i think thats what i want to go with again. instead of learning patterns, boxes etc, learning like you said the scale for each key, then try and transpose that to a fretboard. but how do i do that slowly. do i pick one string and learn where the scale is for each key on that string (i dont mean the frets either, i mean the notes, knowing where each note is).

thanks !
with all due respect:

YOU SILLY MUNTER GET A GUITAR TEACHER!

HOW CAN YOU TEACH YOURSELF SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT?!!?

YOUR GUITAR TEACHER WILL INSPIRE YOU TO PLAY MORE, LEARN NEW THINGS AND SO HAVE SO MUCH MORE FUN!!!

thanks.
i suck but THATS OK!
yeah, the first part is quite boring, but if you really like it you should get over it by practicing lots and lots. My first 6 months were in classic guitars, and i learned all the scales, and all the basics such as alternating and tremelo picking in the classic. Afterwards i got my first and only electric.
Quote by breaknahabit
with all due respect:

YOUR GUITAR TEACHER WILL INSPIRE YOU TO PLAY MORE, LEARN NEW THINGS AND SO HAVE SO MUCH MORE FUN!!!

thanks.

Sorry i dont agree, i got a teacher when i learned all i could from the web and books. When the stuff on the web got confusing, (complicated jazz stuff) i started taking lessons of harmony.

I learned how to play crazy train by ozzy, without having a teacher.
www.youtube.com/acdc109

so i dont agree sory
Quote by divinorum69
and all the basics such as alternating and tremelo picking in the classic. Afterwards i got my first and only electric.

thanks, i got all the basics like picking and fret techniques, luckily, so thats a start. but yes the scale knowledge is lacking so maybe i need to go back to beginning with that.

so you know where all the scales are on the fretboard now?

ie if i said go to 7th fret and play me the blues scale in A, then G, then C etc etc, you could do that by knowing what notes make those keys and be able to know where they all sit for each corresponding scale/key on that fret position (ie not moving up and down the neck)? cause thats what i want to learn, how do i learn that?

thanks HEAPS ! good advice.
Quote by breaknahabit
with all due respect:

thanks.

I taught myself and that was 15 years ago - there's 20 times more information available nowadays. It's not that hard if it's something you really want to do.
Quote by fiztech
thanks, i got all the basics like picking and fret techniques, luckily, so thats a start. but yes the scale knowledge is lacking so maybe i need to go back to beginning with that.

ie if i said go to 7th fret and play me the blues scale in A, then G, then C etc etc, you could do that by knowing what notes make those keys and be able to know where they all sit for each corresponding scale/key on that fret position (ie not moving up and down the neck)? cause thats what i want to learn, how do i learn that?

All scales follow a set pattern of intervals, for example the major scale is WWHWWWH - W is a whole step (2 frets), H is a half step (one fret). If you pick any root note then follow that pattern of intervals you're playing the major scale. Therefore to play scales anywhere you only really need 2 things, the notes on the fretboard and the pattern of intervals that the scale follows. Remember to think in notes, not frets, that way you won't get stuck in box patterns or confused about which string to play.

You don't necessarily need to know every note in a scale by rote but you obviously need to be able to find roots and work out the other notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 24, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Remember to think in notes, not frets, that way you won't get stuck in box patterns or confused about which string to play.

You don't necessarily need to know every note in a scale by rote but you obviously need to be able to find roots and work out the other notes.

thanks !

thats what i wanted to hear. everything now days seems to be about teaching scales as patterns, not as scales of notes, ie do rah me blah blah blah, up the fret board, down it. so i trying to find best way for me to learn.

i find no logic in just knowing a pattern or box for a scale, to me it seems pointless and limiting.

if i want to play a triad at the 7th fret i dont want to be moving out of the 7th fret, if you know what i mean, unless i wanna raise or lower my octave. but sometimes would be nice just to sit there in that place and make love to 3 or 4 frets.
wow im looking at a fretboard diagram and its helping heaps.

i just realised that a major scale is simply 7 notes ( i mean i knew that, but seeing iit laid out across whole fretboard is heaps better). and those notes are almost always played in the same pattern in various places on the fretboard
Quote by fiztech
wow im looking at a fretboard diagram and its helping heaps.

i just realised that a major scale is simply 7 notes ( i mean i knew that, but seeing iit laid out across whole fretboard is heaps better). and those notes are almost always played in the same pattern in various places on the fretboard

Exactly - once you realise that it makes things a lot less complicated. Now all you're doing is looking for places to drop in your 7 note pattern as opposed to trying to memorise 100-odd individual fret positions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fiztech

If you want to do that I think your going to have to take some time everyday to try to learn where the notes are on each string, then which notes (and in which order) constitute a scale then try to figure out where it goes on the fretboard, yes it may take some time but will be worth it. Because i've only been playing for about 2 1/2 years I've learned patterns rather than notes and where thay are, so i'm kind of in the same boat as you and this is the way i'm going to try to solve it. I mean I learned the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale and the 7 positions (modes) of the major scale, problems arise for me now because i didn't bother to learn the notes, just the patterns. I always now advise learning notes more than patterns. Then if (as you say) someones says "play me C Phrygian over this progression", you know where to find it and know which notes make it up, and i think the guitar will really start to open up for you. In summary learn the notes on the fretboard, I see it as the real way forward.
the way im learning it is, as mentioned, each key has 7 notes to a major scale, each major scale has the same intervals. so if i know the open string notes, then theoretically i already know all the notes on the fretboard, i just need to apply them lol.

man things just clicked for me tonight.

one thing that i really dislike now looking back, is how people talk about modes and stuff. half the time they dont even know what they are saying and how that can affect noobs. half the time, unlike helpy they dont even bother to learn the notes to these modes. so whats the point of learning music if your not learning music?

looking back, really a noob should learn this first.

major scale (as in the notes for each key)
the intervals (steps)
where on the fretboard these steps and notes lye
chord structure/theory (ie 1,3,5 for triad, 1,5 for diad? lol)

then learn how to actually play fret hand techniques etc.

then learn to play songs.

then learn tab.

then learn modes and other scales.

i learnt most of this in reverse. how messed up is that.
Quote by steven seagull
for example the major scale is WWHWWWH - W is a whole step (2 frets), H is a half step (one fret). .

or in fret terms

2-2-1-2-2-2-1

so lets say C Maj

C,D,E,F,G,A,B

with C being the Major, E the 3rd note (chord) and G being the 5th note (or chord) to make the triad.

i started writing just on paper the notes on pretend strings.

this really is a lot more simple than learning patterns and the like. a lot more logical.
can a guitar limit ones ability?

what i mean is, i find this strat style neck really narrow, which i kinda like but dislike as i have fat longish fingers. i like les paul necks, wizard necks are good, but too long for me.
No, it's really all just personal preferece. A lot of people prefer the fatter necks of a Les Paul because they feel more comfortable in their hands. Others, myself included, prefer the slimmer ibanez necks b/c there is less 'bulk' between the fingers and thumb/lower palm. And about the notes and modes and stuff, it's really helpful to learn some basic sight reading. It's usefull b/c once you can do it, you'll be able to recognize key signatures instantly, just based on the number of sharps of flats contained w/in a key.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR