OK so here's the run down..

Back in january i got the Fender Starcaster starter package from sams club, came with everything i needed, a bag, 10 watt amp, replacement strings, strap (which i replaced) and of course the guitar with a few other things. (DVD, picks, headphones etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Starcaster-Strat-Accessory-Candy/dp/B000VCBJ0C

this is what i got only mine is a different color

i love it, its my first guitar, it has sentimental value to me and i'm going to keep it and play it continuously and it should last me a good while because its quite sturdy. best 200 bucks i've ever spent.

so i've been playing for about 5 months i can play a few songs ranging from the red hot chili peppers to metallica to black sabbath to some hendrix. i can play basic chords and bar chords and my instructor is bringing me into lead guitar showing me various scales.

i want a new guitar, and i want something at the opposite end of the spectrum, i was looking at an epiphone les paul.

this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

in ebony for 429 shipped.

i checked it out in person at george's music and the one on display had a bit of fret buzz, and they were asking 449+ tax but i'm guessing thats just that one guitar. the guy said if we changed the strigns to 10awg they should be fine but i think he said he had another one in the back but if not i'm going to take a chance and save some money and get it from the site above..

the reviews say its great so i'm all for it.

i'm also getting a line 6 spider 3 30 watt amp too, so it should be nice..

let me know what you think or if there are any other reccomendations.. keep it in the price range..
great guitar
change the pickups down the line and it's even better
though i would recomend the honeyburst
it's beautiful
i wouldn't bother with the line 6
save and get something better
I want Super Saiyan abilities
ok dude. you wont like hearing this. Wait. Wait until you have been playing for at least a year. Save up your money for a better AMP. Save your money for a better guitar too.
I say nay on the Spider III... if you're gonna play an Epiphone LP I'd go with a Crate or a Marshall. And to buy the guitar online and change the strings and set up the action would probably cost you less than if you bought it in the store, and Musician's Friend is a good site anyway.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
ok dude. you wont like hearing this. Wait. Wait until you have been playing for at least a year. Save up your money for a better AMP. Save your money for a better guitar too.

waiting's not a bad idea
but there's nothing wrong with that guitar
i thought line 6 made some nice lower-level amps?

kind of an oxymoron huh...

idk they got some good reviews and i love the way my friends 75w plays
Quote by Infamou$17
I say nay on the Spider III... if you're gonna play an Epiphone LP I'd go with a Crate or a Marshall. And to buy the guitar online and change the strings and set up the action would probably cost you less than if you bought it in the store, and Musician's Friend is a good site anyway.

what do you mean set up the action? sorry im a noob..

also what kind of pick ups do you guys reccomend?
Quote by M1K3A
i thought line 6 made some nice lower-level amps?

kind of an oxymoron huh...

idk they got some good reviews and i love the way my friends 75w plays

no, line 6 makes some good five to six hundred dollar amps
spiders aren't as bad as their rep (which is pretty awful) but they certainly aren't very good and there are better sounding options
if you want a good cheapish amp get a 5 watt tube amp
a black heart or an epiphone valve jr.

but if you like the line 6 then go for it
I'd have to agree with Infamou$17, if you are planning on getting an Epiphone, go all out and buy a nicer amp then the Spider 3. A Peavey would be nice, or maybe even a Marshall if you've got the money.