i used to own a squier...sold it ot my friend who believe it or not is using it in our band. dont sound too bad for a squie rbut he doesnt want to upgrade in the future to a new bass. do you think putting EMG's in the bass instead of the crap ones in there would make it sound better? the neck and fretboards fine just the sounds kinda weird
I disagree with EMGs in general, what kind of sound are you looking for? Also, which setup is it (P or J)?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I love the attitude many metal/harder rock fans have, 'if in doubt shove some emgs in it that'll make it work for any genre and not sound muddy at all!'

that was sarcasm by the way, umm if i knew your bands genre i could reccomend something but unless your metal or a form of hard rock i would advise against emgs cause i don't like 'em. Look at some seymour duncan pickups or some decent fender ones.
I agree with delirium. If you want to upgrade your squier buy a mexican fender. This one uses a better quality of wood. (it would cost the same as upgrading everything on your squier) If you then decide to upgrade it with say EMG or Seymor Duncan or Bartolini pickups you at least have a decent/good base to start with. (allthough i think if you get a fener you wont need to upgrade it besides put new strings on it as i hear the strings that come with it are bad).

So instead of upgrading a squier i think you better of getting a new bass which in the long run will reward you more.

NOTE: I am NOT bashing squiers just dont think it's worth upgrading one.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
i hate squiers but the neck is fine and the bass guy is on a budget so if he got a new bass he wouldnt be able to get the amp we need for gigs. the emg's for this would only be 79$ so that leaves room foor an ampand then one day he'll upgrade the bass
Depends what squier it is. Affinitys are made of alder, and they are(well mine is) surprisingly good instruments. Give it new strings, a setup and rewire it and it will be great. Pickups wise i would go for quarter pounders,.
I have to disagree that a pup change makes little difference in sound. I think a drastic pup change will make a very noticable change in timbre, which might be good and might not. The pups I'm about to suggest, for example, have a small chance of being detrimental to the squire as they are so articulate and may bring out any buzzing/intonation problems/boring basswoodiness in the cheap bass. Maybe this is what Delerium is talking about?

My stock Mim p-bass pup was absolutely unbearable, much more nasty trebly heat than any bass pickup should ever have IMO. I threw on a quarter pounder and suddenly it was transformed into something both clean and articulate and yet ballsy as hell.

Quote by Mr. Saturn
Depends what squier it is. Affinitys are made of alder, and they are(well mine is) surprisingly good instruments. Give it new strings, a setup and rewire it and it will be great. Pickups wise i would go for quarter pounders,.

Because of my own experience I double the quarter pounder idea... and add cheese. But seriously, quarter pounders have a lot of bang for the buck, in fact I think at $60 they are better than any other sub $100 pup I have heard. Is this a p bass, j bass, or p bass special squier? What does your player do with the tone knob? If he likes playing super-rumbly with no real definition, then I say leave the bass stock and roll with it. My girlfriend practices on a stock squier p-bass and, maybe she got lucky, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way it sounds.

edit* and Rywad, I have to sig that.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jun 26, 2008,