Hey guys, I have a couple o questions about speed development.

I am by no means a metal guitarist, but seeing as I dont m,ind to dabble and there are fast runs n everything I thought it would be good to do some speed training. I have only been playing for 21/2 maybe 3 yrs.

So, what Ive been doin is whippin oput the ol electric metronome (which beeps feel like a hole being drilled in your head) and just staerted running up and down the pentatonic scale in various positions starting in 16ths at 80bpm, then crankin up 4bpm every couple of times I complete it succesfully in a row. I have heard phrygian is good for building speed too?

Is this the only way to increase dexterity ans speed because although i am highly motivated its REALLY boring, and you have to liven up a session with a jam or Something!

Also, I understand picking economically is a huge part of speed. I have a prettey retarded kind of DIG going, almost like goin for a pinch harmonic each strtoke, but do pentatonic runs at 80 bpm on 16ths - very slow- and concentrate on TINY and even picking strokes. I also need to improve on descending back down to the low e string, as I am much better at ascending.

Any ideas for exercises or techniques? Also is sweeping just playing down down down, while each tuime descendind or ascending to a new string? If so should I learn it at this early stage or wait till im already faster?

Cheeers for any help in advance UG. Peace out!
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
dorian is good make sure you use alternate picking and palm mute to keep it clean. lots of reps.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
palm mute always?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
OH! SUPERTROOPERS RULES! Hey farva whats that place you like with all that funny **** on the walls? "What, Shenanigans?" Ooooooooooh........................meow.
haha yeah dude i love supertroopers its the ****. and as for the palm mute i do it as often as i can to keep my playing clean and muffel the notes i dont want played but every one is diffrent if you dont like to mute then dont
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
kewl cheers for the advice
Quote by Imafrog
Hey guys, I have a couple o questions about speed development.

I am by no means a metal guitarist, but seeing as I dont m,ind to dabble and there are fast runs n everything I thought it would be good to do some speed training. I have only been playing for 21/2 maybe 3 yrs.

So, what Ive been doin is whippin oput the ol electric metronome (which beeps feel like a hole being drilled in your head) and just staerted running up and down the pentatonic scale in various positions starting in 16ths at 80bpm, then crankin up 4bpm every couple of times I complete it succesfully in a row. I have heard phrygian is good for building speed too?

Is this the only way to increase dexterity ans speed because although i am highly motivated its REALLY boring, and you have to liven up a session with a jam or Something!

Also, I understand picking economically is a huge part of speed. I have a prettey retarded kind of DIG going, almost like goin for a pinch harmonic each strtoke, but do pentatonic runs at 80 bpm on 16ths - very slow- and concentrate on TINY and even picking strokes. I also need to improve on descending back down to the low e string, as I am much better at ascending.

Any ideas for exercises or techniques? Also is sweeping just playing down down down, while each tuime descendind or ascending to a new string? If so should I learn it at this early stage or wait till im already faster?

Cheeers for any help in advance UG. Peace out!

You're way off - scales DO NOT help you play faster, all they do is help you play scales faster. People have this daft idea in their head that if you intensely focus on shredding up and down scales you become a faster player - that's not the case at all. If you practice anything over and over you'll get fast at playing that particular thing.

Practicing straight scale runs is only going to do one thing and that's make you a boring player. Nobody wants to hear somebody play scales...what you need to do is create some useable, interesting runs and licks from the scales you use. Practice horizontal runs with position shifts, string skipping runs, triplets, sliding runs of 3rds etc. That kind of stuff is actually useful, it's stuff you can actually use when you're playing. If there's a particular solo you want to nail then practice that rather than exercises...there'll be plenty of licks you can steal from it.

Your problem isn't speed, it's accuracy, concentrate on playing cleanly. Don't palm mute either, that's just a lazy players way of covering up their crappy technique. You're not going to get fast in a couple of weeks, it's going to take months and years no matter how much you grind...this ain't World of Warcraft!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I must agree... Palm muting notes when picked all the time is bad.
Strings doesn`t keep any making any noise, if proper technique is used.

- Fox
Quote by steven seagull
it's going to take months and years no matter how much you grind...this ain't World of Warcraft!

lol i am exalted with most factions in World of Warcraft and sometimes I think "if I can farm reputation like that then for sure I can practice until I am a good player" xD

Quote by steven seagull
If you practice anything over and over you'll get fast at playing that particular thing

well, thats obvious, but doesnt that help you increase your speed playing in some way? i mean, what other things could you do to be faster?
Building speed means doing things in a more economical way, so you have to practice everything you want to do fast in a manner that will train you to move less to achieve the same result. There are links in my sig that'll help with that, the first especially.
Quote by Imafrog
OH! SUPERTROOPERS RULES! Hey farva whats that place you like with all that funny **** on the walls? "What, Shenanigans?" Ooooooooooh........................meow.

A couple of things...

First, don't double-post. This means, if you are the last person who posted, and you want to add something, use your edit button to add to your last post.

Second, especially don't double-post to talk about something off-topic. In some cases, you can bring up something off-topic, but also make sure to discuss the topic at hand, or you'll be spamming. In this case, if you had used the edit button, your post would still be relevant to the discussion.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
i thoguht speed kills by MAB was useful to help build alternate picking speeds.

----------------------------------
----------------11-12-11----------
---11-12-14--------------14-12----

and
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------12-14-15-14-12---------------------
---------------12-14-15---------------------15-14-12----------
--12-14-15-----------------------------------------------15-14
--------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

those 2 especially start slow 16ths and build up

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I don't mean to jack this thread, but I have a related question.

I've been playing guitar for a few years, and I've been practicing towards the goal of being able to play faster for a few years also. My problem is that I am able to increase my picking speed, however I've hit a wall with my fretting hand and have been stuck at the same speed for a year. The fastest I can play with my fretting hand is about 120BPM 16th Notes. If I strike each note of a practice twice, then I can play almost twice as fast at about 110BPM 32nd notes.

Does anybody now of techniques or practices that would help with Fret Hand speed? Every lesson about building speed that I have read focuses exclusively on picking.
sorry, there is no way around becoming a fast player, its requires time and motivation and constant practicing, it does not matter at all what scales you use. you must learn to devote time to this, ideally a few hours (3-5) each day on just technical exercises alone. Dont practice the same thing over and over, its good to change the fingerings, using uncomfortable fingerings, changing the order pick attacks which the exercise begins on. DOing anything that is not in your common soloing repertoire is good. I cannot stress enough the amount of time and motivation it takes to become a real fast (and good) player.

As far as the last post goes, if you are that handicapped in the fretting hand and that gifted in the picking hand, try focusing just on the fretting hand by doing lots of legato exercises, wide interval stretches, and abnormal fingerings for some exercises you already know.
then once you have that at a decent work on syncing the two hands up
Quote by doggy_hat
I don't mean to jack this thread, but I have a related question.

I've been playing guitar for a few years, and I've been practicing towards the goal of being able to play faster for a few years also. My problem is that I am able to increase my picking speed, however I've hit a wall with my fretting hand and have been stuck at the same speed for a year. The fastest I can play with my fretting hand is about 120BPM 16th Notes. If I strike each note of a practice twice, then I can play almost twice as fast at about 110BPM 32nd notes.

Does anybody now of techniques or practices that would help with Fret Hand speed? Every lesson about building speed that I have read focuses exclusively on picking.

It may not be that your fret hand is to slow it maybe you a hard time synchronizing the two hands. But if that not the problem then maybe you should do legato exercises like the one above me said.

To the guy who started this thread. Maybe you should try some of Chrstopher Dafls lesson in the ug tv section. Theyre called shred masterclass.
Really (Well... not really, but... fairly) old thread.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??