hey guys, i am currently less than satisfied with my distorted sound, and would like some help finding a new one. right now im using a valveking 4x12 and a digitech expression factory for my rig, and the distortion just sounds bad on the pedal. so i need a new distortion pedal and figured you fine knowledgable people could give me some recomendations. i would like a pedal that has distortion OD and fuzz all in one, but just a good distortion will work. as a sound im aiming for, id like a good alice in chainsey sound.
Wait... You have the Valveking Halfstack, and you want a distortion pedal? Just use the amps overdrive. If that's not heavy enough, spend 50 bucks or so on the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a tried and true setup to get a metal sound on a budget. You shouldn't need a distortion pedal with an amp like that.

However, if you're dead set on wasting the amp and using a distortion box, I'd look into the Jekyll and Hyde pedal or however you spell it. It's apparently distortion and overdrive in one stomp box.
i think the Jekyll and Hyde pedal is the best distortion and overdrive pedal out there. You can get alot of different types of distortions and overdrives out of it and can even imitate the Ibanez TS808 perfectly IMO. I got a guy to put true bypass mod on it for $60. It sound great. If your on a budget I would say Boss Ds-2
i bought a blackstar ht-distx today and its simply amazing
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

don't buy a distorsion pedal for a tube amp, buy a Grapic EQ (Boss Ge-7)
Quote by HUNYeti
don't buy a distorsion pedal for a tube amp, buy a Grapic EQ (Boss Ge-7)

just because he has a tube amp he shouldn't seek out a specific tone? what? Sounds to me like alice in chains use distortion pedals.

I'm undecided as to whether they use Big muffs or not, but a lot of alt. rock bands from that time used them. Usually that or a ProCo Rat would do the trick though. The Rat is very versatile, i don't know if it can get fuzz tones, but it can give smooth overdrive to hard distorted sounds.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Use your overdrive channel on your amp. No distortion pedal will be as good as that.
Also: get another cab. VK cabs are crap. Sell it for 250 and get a nice 2*12 V30 cab for 300-400. And than i mean a good one!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Use your overdrive channel on your amp. No distortion pedal will be as good as that.
Also: get another cab. VK cabs are crap. Sell it for 250 and get a nice 2*12 V30 cab for 300-400. And than i mean a good one!

"good" is subjective. And as i said before, he seems to be looking for a 1990s alternative rock tone. Most guitarists then used distortion pedals through clean amp settings. An overdriven valve amp with a boost like a TS9 won't give the same hard-clipped, wall of sound, i wish people would stop saying "don't use distortion pedals with a tube amp!!!".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it also depends on whats its used for, i have a mid gain tube amp, and i cant get high gain without a pedal, and the mid gain is only reachable when its cranked, which makes it very loud, but with my distortion pedal i can get a nice mid-high gain sound on lower volumes,

i have a tube driven pedal that did cost more than my amp head, maby thats whats make me like it so much,
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard