Poll: which should i pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: which should i pick?
new guitar
17 44%
recording equipment/studio
22 56%
Voters: 39.
alright i'm in kind of a tough choice and i can't pick for myself so i've asked other people its pretty much a dead end now..
time for the pits turn to help me decide..

as for what?

alright, i'm currently saving up money (and no asking if you can have it )
and its for either a new guitar or starting to turn my bedroom into a home studio to record with musically now the tough part for me

my current guitar has a slight problem with the output jack its not working i've gone to check it out at guitar stores and no help so i need a new one for that, and it'd be nice to have another Dean to play with, that and guitars are just awesome anyway

as for the studio, i'm going to go into music recording and production, for college (i have it planned out)problem is its going to take more money then the guitar but would be more helpful for the college time and with my friends and somewhat of a band.so this would help as well knowing that i'll be able to get practice ahead of time and cut costs for studio time as well.

so which do you think would be better?
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
If you're studying recording at college, you're not going to be doing anything at home, all of your recording and mixing/editing will be done at your school.

Also, replacement input jacks are like $5.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
If you're studying recording at college, you're not going to be doing anything at home, all of your recording and mixing/editing will be done at your school.

Also, replacement input jacks are like $5.

This!

I study sound production, i had a similar choice, then it dawned on me, Uni/College has more than you'll ever be able to afford. And if you want to work after hours you can, there is no reason why you'd have to bring the work home. I never have...

The only problem is I get frustrated with my PC really easily since I spend all day at uni on Macs...
Quote by pogo the clown

as for the studio, i'm going to go into music recording and production, for college (i have it planned out)

get a REAL degree first (electrical engineering will help for recording music) , then if you have the spare time/cash, go to school for recording

http://www.recordschool.com/Recording-School-Problems.html
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Last edited by SeanHart213 at May 24, 2008,
the problem with doing all his stuff at school is that he couldn't record anything with a band. Invest in the recording stuff, it doesn't even have to be extensive and incredibly diverse, just enough to get good sound quality, and then you can enjoy the ability to lay down anything that hits you in a moment of inspiration, instead of waiting to record it the next day and likely losing what you were thinking about.
Quote by Shredder XXX
This!

I study sound production, i had a similar choice, then it dawned on me, Uni/College has more than you'll ever be able to afford. And if you want to work after hours you can, there is no reason why you'd have to bring the work home. I never have...

The only problem is I get frustrated with my PC really easily since I spend all day at uni on Macs...

would it be possible then to bring the guys in which is like depending if i take PSEO or not, if i dont then it'll take longer but if i do, wont take as long problem is
say i used the recording equipment everything,could i for say like after hours could just bring the band in to record then?
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
Quote by Colgate Total
And booze.

After that, waste spend the rest on more hookers.

Fixed.
Quote by pogo the clown
would it be possible then to bring the guys in which is like depending if i take PSEO or not, if i dont then it'll take longer but if i do, wont take as long problem is
say i used the recording equipment everything,could i for say like after hours could just bring the band in to record then?

Yes you most certainly can, well at my University anyway. Generally as long as you've got everyone under control and no-one is running around the campus like an infant you'll be OK. Technically it's not within policy to bring in non-students after hours.

But every time I've done it, security has asked what we're all doing. To which i reply "Foley for GTV (Uni TV Station), I needed some extra help, is that OK?" They're cool with it as long as (you say) it's for assessment etc.

You can do it anytime as well, as long as you don't cut into anyone's studio time, thus after hours works better.

In the 2 years I've been studying I've done 4 unofficial EP's for bands and close to 60 demos. All between the hours of 9pm and 3am.

Your best bet is to check with some of the previous graduates or guys who've been there longer than you so you know what's cool and what's not.

EDIT: Forgot one tiny detail. If anything get's damaged by you, or anyone with you, you're paying for it because the university has insurance covering damage by students and faculty but no-one else. Thus bringing external parties in = void contract = you break it you buy it
Last edited by Shredder XXX at May 24, 2008,
Quote by Colgate Total
And booze.

After that, waste the rest.

your just wrong ok he needs is a solid gold hooker that pours alchohol out of her mouth and has a cocaine making amchine in her ass
its a little iffy.
If you look into the guitar im sure it can be easily fixed, they are not that complex.

Recording gear takes a lot of money to get started in, (source: I run a home studio) and if you get cheap gear you will waste money buying then selling again...

If you have the money now or in a few months for proper gear, go with a nice interface and a few mics for your desktop computer. If you don't have nearly enough cash I suggest going with a guitar repair or replacement.

BTW the college will have gear for you to use while you are in the classes. I suggest staying away from recording gear for now.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 24, 2008,
Quote by InvaderTSN
And cocaine.

this is the best answer on here. sure you will burn through your money in no time, but thats a problem for tomorrow you. tonight, you are a pimp my friend.

cause its like this, and like this, and like that add up, its like this.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
invest in gas station stocks :\ then u can hab both!

Do recording studio stuff. Then you can charge people to record in your "studio".

It pays for itself. Then you can buy a guitar too.