Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Serotonite

Question My own music bores me, is it a pychological or musical issue?

What the title says. I feel as though my music is boring. When I'm performing it has been said that I come across as apologetic or paranoid. That is true, I feel like the audience are completely uninterested every time, and I feel when I'm playing my songs that they are...tiresome. I have been approached and complimented before, but it feels mostly like a consolation/pity than genuine.

ANYWAY, enough of me whining about my insecurities, I want to know if it is normal for a musician to be bored by their own music or if this just means that my music is bad?
Serotonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
bjgrifter
Aspiring Djentleman

If you're bored by your own stuff, how can you expect others to get excited about it?

You might need to practice stage behavior.

Also, zero in about what makes your music boring? Is it the style? The complexity (or lack of)? or the similarties of songs? Might want to learn something new in terms of scales to give you some ideas.
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
bjgrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Could we hear some of those songs?

If you don't like them, write some new songs. Or make them sound better. Why don't you like them? Do they sound too generic? Do you feel like they are lacking something?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
VStratto Music

Haha you're not alone, usually when producing my own stuff I listen to it so much it becomes boring, and since I created it, it loses all surprise to me, so I give demos to people I know and tell them to be brutally honest.

I do find my songs pretty fun to play though, especially the faster ones.

The rule I go for when making riffs or music in general for myself is that it has to transmit some feeling or it's a fail, at the beggining this is very difficult to achieve but the only way to turn that around is to keep writing more songs, and not be afraid to discard bad ideas. Also, every little detail counts when making music; from chord voicings, melodies, drums, bass lines, to the little things like slides and random sounds that add to the song.

But it's not uncommon for musicians to dislike or get bored with their music.

https://soundcloud.com/vstratto-music
VStratto Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
jongtr

jongtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
qrEE
I'm a person

Personally I throw any music out that I'm not enjoying. Everything I've made is something I would and do listen to. That's not to say if you find your music boring, that it isn't good, but if there's no passion, "good" can only really be a surface thing, so I prefer to stick with only performing and recording something that I feel strongly in favor of.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Anthony1991
No Religion Or Mind Virus

Being mindful and humble is good, but being apologetic is worse than being crazy boastful. People take the stage and boasting as kind of, well it's more forgivable. Being apologetic really takes the energy out of everyone, for example:

You just totally fucked up the ending of the song live

A) You apologize for messing up the ending, saying it doesn't normally happen, awkward silence
B) You say you fucked the ending, but this next song is gonna make up for it

There's just a way to be on stage that drives energy, even when things go wrong; there's no one way as everyone has their own vibe but just keeping it moving forward and engaging is always the way. Telling people 'to get a fucking pit started' is fail however unless you're a well known band.

//

You say your own music bores you. Why? What about it that causes that? You should try getting over yourself is the main thing. Whether it's expectation or something else, the worst mistake any musician/person makes is trading progress for a false sense of worth. It's much better to step back and just enjoy it for what it is, you sound more like you're weighed down by your own sense of expectation rather than making something because you wanted to.

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Anthony1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Rickholly74

Are you referring to music you wrote or cover songs you choose to play?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
Jimjambanx
Friendly nihilist

This is an interesting topic, as there are a lot of factors as to why you may be displeased with your own material. A few things I've learnt growing as an artist are :
Write music YOU like, even if it's at the cost of accessibility. You'll never be satisfied by comprising.

Take as much time as you need. It took me 3 years to write my first batch of 5 songs, the bridge of 1 song took a whole year. But the result is something I'm proud of.

Unlike you, the audience hasn't heard the song a thousand times, they don't know all the little mistakes, and they haven't gotten fatigued on the song like you might have. Be confident, the audience is hearing your years of work for the first time, they'll enjoy it.
Jimjambanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1991
Being mindful and humble is good, but being apologetic is worse than being crazy boastful. People take the stage and boasting as kind of, well it's more forgivable. Being apologetic really takes the energy out of everyone, for example:

You just totally fucked up the ending of the song live

A) You apologize for messing up the ending, saying it doesn't normally happen, awkward silence
B) You say you fucked the ending, but this next song is gonna make up for it

There's just a way to be on stage that drives energy, even when things go wrong; there's no one way as everyone has their own vibe but just keeping it moving forward and engaging is always the way. Telling people 'to get a fucking pit started' is fail however unless you're a well known band.

Exactly. laugh confidently and say well that's the beauty of live music - sometimes you gotta try stuff and it doesn't quite come off. But that's what makes it exciting. Then give a passionate wooohooo and launch into something very energetic. But if you butcher every song then maybe you shouldn't be on stage.

As an artist you are often your own worst critic. You know and see all the flaws in your work. The trick of the successful artist is NOT pointing them out and when someone else does you play it off as intentional and part of what makes it interesting.

I remember doing some design work for a class once with a guest lecturer and I had spent a lot of time on the work. It was an original idea with a different take on the brief and I agonized over details trying to get it perfect. There were a few things on the page that weren't quite right. The guest lecturer picked it up and admired it. I was embarrassed of the praise saying it wasn't very good and proceeded to point out all the flaws. They put it down and said, if you want to make it in this world you need to be your own publicist. You need to get excited about what you were trying to achieve and talk about all the good things you've done. Don't point out all the flaws, no one knows they're mistakes till you say they are. After that they always will be.

They were right.

However, we are a fellow artists that will help if we can. Do you have any examples and we could give you an honest answer and maybe even provide some suggestions.

I can tell you when I go to see live music I want to see a performance of live music. Not just someone playing live music. I want to see passion, intensity, joy, sorrow, heartache, exuberance...etc.

Don't be playing live with the wrong attitude it will sap the life from even a great song.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Sean0913
Music Theory Life-Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotonite
What the title says. I feel as though my music is boring. When I'm performing it has been said that I come across as apologetic or paranoid. That is true, I feel like the audience are completely uninterested every time, and I feel when I'm playing my songs that they are...tiresome. I have been approached and complimented before, but it feels mostly like a consolation/pity than genuine.

ANYWAY, enough of me whining about my insecurities, I want to know if it is normal for a musician to be bored by their own music or if this just means that my music is bad?

Yes, I have a few songs that are considered "Hits" by others, and I've just fallen out of love with them personally, because I've done them so many times. I actually love my music, but I think I just played certain songs to death, and they sort of lost their personal appeal and sparkle for me.

Best,

Sean
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Rickholly74

I love 20Tigers post. Well thought out.

If you are bored with the songs you are playing, your audience will feel it instinctively. Imagine how it feels to be a band or artist on tour doing the same one hour set 3-5 times a week for months on end playing songs that you recorded 30 years ago and have played 1000 times? A career in music is not for everyone. I have a friend who was the lead singer in a "One Hit Wonder" band that had one Top 10 hit in the early 70's followed by an album that didn't sell. By the mid 80's they were back in clubs playing to 100 people a night. They had to play their "hit" almost every set just to keep people happy. One night he just walked out of the club in the middle of a set and has never sung that song again. It does happen.

Rate This Thread: