Page 3 of 60
Hey, I'm in kind of an interesting situation. I've been playing for 3 almost 4 years off and on, and i actually don't know a single song from another artist from beginning to end, but from a technical standpoint i can write, or play just about any solo. the problem is that i get frustrated very easily and never finish learning a song, then just kind of abandon it.

I recently just got back into guitar again after about 6 months of not playing and am looking for something to get my rhythm chops back up, i wrote myself a classical piece to practice with, which is great but im looking for something new and, different from my playing style.

I like technical melodic sounding metal... any suggestions?
Quote by Vasser
Our band is looking for some more songs to play, but we can't come up with much. Can someone please recommend us some songs? (Nothing terribly difficult!) Here are some of the songs we've already come up with:

Make You Feel Better - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
Lake of Fire - Nirvana

try Mad Season- River of Deceit
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Hey guys, Im looking for a technical kinda song, a song that will give me a very thorough finger workout, im open to any genre for it, and Im proficient at sweeping. 1 year, and I would like to improve my legato, sweeping, and just my overall technique.

Thanks.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Hey guys, Im looking for a technical kinda song, a song that will give me a very thorough finger workout, im open to any genre for it, and Im proficient at sweeping. 1 year, and I would like to improve my legato, sweeping, and just my overall technique.

Thanks.

For sweeping try Phish's You Enjoy Myself.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Quote by Vasser
Our band is looking for some more songs to play, but we can't come up with much. Can someone please recommend us some songs? (Nothing terribly difficult!) Here are some of the songs we've already come up with:

Make You Feel Better - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
Lake of Fire - Nirvana
ACDC-highway to hell (you might want to change the solo around so its easier)

I'll suggest more songs as I think of them
I asked earlier, but didn't get any answers. Whats a song with a mixolydian solo? I have nothing to base my improv off when using mixo. I've been playing 2 years, I want rock, like Zeppelin, Gn'r, Van Halen, ect.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

im looking for an easy straightforward metal song, but Metallica/Megadeth metal not Slayer/Arch Emenemy metal. ive only been playing for 9 months
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Fade to Black

Quote by denizenz

Quote by valennic

Thanks.

Home - Dream Theater

Sweeping is a no, but your legato and vibrato technique will love you for it.
been playing for 2 years looking for a blues song and a thrash metal song. I want both to be somewhat challenging but a good solo is a must for both and alternate picking for metal. can kinda sweep too so maybe a song to practice sweeps. Thanks
Bleeding Heart - Jimi Hendrix
Master of Puppets, if that's thrash enough and not too hard (at 2 years i couldn't play it)?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Im looking for a Song that has a Cool, slowed down solo in it. Ive been playing nearly 3 years but i have very little speed. im trying to work on my rythmicness of my lead playing right now, and i also need a cool riff to learn Any songs come to mind?
I'm looking for acoustic songs similar to Tears in the Rain by Joe Satriani or To Zanarkand by Nobuo Uematsu. Nothing too difficult because I want to learn them reasonably quickly and I've been playing for 4 years.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by F'ingguitarnoob
Hey, I'm in kind of an interesting situation. I've been playing for 3 almost 4 years off and on, and i actually don't know a single song from another artist from beginning to end, but from a technical standpoint i can write, or play just about any solo. the problem is that i get frustrated very easily and never finish learning a song, then just kind of abandon it.

I recently just got back into guitar again after about 6 months of not playing and am looking for something to get my rhythm chops back up, i wrote myself a classical piece to practice with, which is great but im looking for something new and, different from my playing style.

I like technical melodic sounding metal... any suggestions?

Take a look at Dream Theater's Constant Motion.
And probably Bed of Razors by Children of Bodom is a good suggestion for you aswell .
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
Quote by Tubyboulin
Im looking for a Song that has a Cool, slowed down solo in it. Ive been playing nearly 3 years but i have very little speed. im trying to work on my rythmicness of my lead playing right now, and i also need a cool riff to learn Any songs come to mind?

Pink Floyd - Time, Money, Sorrow for solo...

Something more specific for the riff please?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
hey i've been learning guitar for 2-3 months now and i need something new and challenging to learn, i'm good at alternate picking hammer ons pull-offs tapping etc. but i've only just started learning sweep picking so i'd like a song that i can really get my teeth into that can improve all my techniques and speed. I'm currently learning Canon Rock by JerryC and i'm making good progress on it so something with a similair (maybe lower) difficulty in the kind of rock / pop-rock / metal genre too that would be perfect thanks in advance .
Last edited by OllieB at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin

Yellow Ledbetter- Pearl Jam

Quote by denizenz

Quote by DarTHie
Pink Floyd - Time, Money, Sorrow for solo...

Something more specific for the riff please?

uhh more specific... Like that 80's Hair kinda Riff Stuff, Power Chords and such? Something like Tornado of Souls where its power chords and all that stuff, then at the Beggining of the solo marty is playing it pretty slowed down. something like that please

And money is a hell of a good song, but i already learned it thanks anyways
Quote by Tubyboulin
uhh more specific... Like that 80's Hair kinda Riff Stuff, Power Chords and such? Something like Tornado of Souls where its power chords and all that stuff, then at the Beggining of the solo marty is playing it pretty slowed down. something like that please

And money is a hell of a good song, but i already learned it thanks anyways
have you seen melodic control by Marty Friedman? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control&total=68&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
^ Damn man, is that the Full DVD or something haha? An hour long, never thought id see the day that was on the internet.

But to answer your question no i havent lol, but im watching it now.
I have a problem.

I have played guitar for two years. But I only play metal and some acoustic stuff. (Mainly Metallica) I know my way around chords and all that basic stuff. I favor picking, but know how to use my fingers.

Have a good acoustic and a Les Paul.

Mainly: Can you recomend some bands or songs that I should listen to/play in order to expand my "musical horizon"?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Clutch, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth and Alice in Chains.

Quote by denizenz

i'm an intermediate-beginner. I'm not that good, i can play alot of basic stuff. but i have a really short attention span so i don't like to learn songs that take too much learning. i want a song that has some killer riffs that are decently easy to play, and maybe a slightly complex solo that i could work on and would sound amazing when done. i really just want to impress people that have never played before so like something that sounds really hard thats really not?
Rock On HARDCORE

Please crit this. My fav piece that I've written.
Goodbye

Forum for tattoo artists/painting and drawing: Electronic Ink
if your goal is ultimately just to impress people, playing any song that's big on the radio will do that.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
if your goal is ultimately just to impress people, playing any song that's big on the radio will do that.

For me, thats selling out on a small scale :P

I would love to learn more led zeppelin, but i can't read sheet music. And i don't like tabs. I might use Guitar Pro however. Its just, I can't find the determination.

Can someone suggest a basic blues track that i should learn. Also artists, but mainly a track that i can start on.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
iv been playin for bout a year, i need a good metal song. i can do fast down-picked palm mutes for the rythm part, and the lead i probably wont be able to play, but no sweeps, and it would be good if some chops were required. nothing super-technical. so basically like an easy metallica song, but nothing from master of puppets album cause iv tried learning all of those, and i was somewhat succesfull. and no ****ty nu-metal or metal-core stuff. standard tuning would be good cuz my guitar is equipped with 9's atm
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Per, sorry I'd help but i'm not familiar with blues

nutinpwnsgibson, Maybe "The God That Failed". "Nothing Else Matters" is easy but not really metal.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
hmm. does anyone know any songs by mastodon that are easy to learn?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
ive been playing for 6 months, i mainly play hair metal, but i also play thrash metal. im into prog rock now though. anyone got anything for me? (I play Bass)
Suggest me a metal/prog/shred song. Anything really, just try to keep it under 5 minutes cuz then I lose interest in the length it takes to learn the whole song.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Hey guys, I am looking for a fairly easy song that really highlights a 12 Bar Blues progression. I just want to have a new look at the progression than what I'm used to, which is the typical
"2 2 4 2 2" Type of shuffle.
0 0 4 2 2

I want to find a song with more complex barre or even open chords to give the blues a new sound to me.

I've been playing actively for about 18 months now, and I play rock and blues mostly. I play alot of Allman Brothers songs, so I'll use a couple I can handle well to give you some idea of my ability. I play Liz Reed, Southbound, and Jessica pretty well, but sometimes my tempo changes aren't following the proper rhythm, so I want to strengthen my rhythm with 12 Bar Blues practicing. My tempo and sense of rhythm could use some help, so I've been going back to that whole shuffle feel to build on those weaknesses.

I'd prefer 4/4 time if you guys could.
rockinlespaul, you should learn some Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff off of the Texas Flood album. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Tell Me are the best ones I can think of. Also, listen to a few Joe Bonamassa songs like Sloe Gin and Blues Deluxe. I should also suggest anything by Kenny Wayne Shepherd. And if you can find it, the Blues Medley by Lynyrd Skynyrd is great.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Helloween4Ever
ive been playing for 6 months, i mainly play hair metal, but i also play thrash metal. im into prog rock now though. anyone got anything for me? (I play Bass)

Well you could try some Dream Theater......you may need a six string for some of their songs though.

Quote by bsoates
Suggest me a metal/prog/shred song. Anything really, just try to keep it under 5 minutes cuz then I lose interest in the length it takes to learn the whole song.

If you're willing to drop you tuning to C standard you could try Blood On Your Hands-Arch Enemy. The intro riff is quite the finger workout.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

u mean 7 string rite?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
o rite you mean 6 string bass. my badz
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I'm looking for a song that's fairly easy to play and, most importantly, learn. I'm really bad at learning things, after playing 1,5 years I still don't know a whole song, just snippets, mostly intros. I can play some scales fairly fast, and I'm just learning some alternative picking, so it doesn't need to be, like extremely easy. Main thing is that it should be easy to learn, or a good starting point to learning things from tabs. (I'm pretty good at learning things by ear, though...)
Quote by Nashag
I'm looking for a song that's fairly easy to play and, most importantly, learn. I'm really bad at learning things, after playing 1,5 years I still don't know a whole song, just snippets, mostly intros. I can play some scales fairly fast, and I'm just learning some alternative picking, so it doesn't need to be, like extremely easy. Main thing is that it should be easy to learn, or a good starting point to learning things from tabs. (I'm pretty good at learning things by ear, though...)

Any genre in particular? If not things like Greenday and Nirvana are easy to learn and play. If you want some thing a bit harder something like Nightwish maybe. Cemetery Gates by Pantera is pretty easy to learn, though some parts of it are somewhat more difficult. Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, and Twisted Sister are also pretty easy, as are AC/DC. Maybe some Iron Maiden. Alot of Children of Bodoms rhythm stuff is pretty easy. Alot of stuff that sounds pretty hard is also pretty easy with a bit of practice.

Best thing you could do is just pick a song you like listening to and wanna learn, chances are that it's not too difficult, and if it is then pick another one. If you want something a bit more specific please ask.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
I`v been playing for about 7 months now and i am wanting to learn a pretty slow melodic solo. I am hoping for something a bit beginner but i am quite determined and wouldn`t mind a more advanced one.
Any suggestions?