Page 4 of 60
Quote by Septic Amp
I`v been playing for about 7 months now and i am wanting to learn a pretty slow melodic solo. I am hoping for something a bit beginner but i am quite determined and wouldn`t mind a more advanced one.
Any suggestions?

Every Rose Has it's Thorn - Poison. Somewhat slow, pretty simple, although it does have a fast bit at the end.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by perkristian876
For me, thats selling out on a small scale :P

I would love to learn more led zeppelin, but i can't read sheet music. And i don't like tabs. I might use Guitar Pro however. Its just, I can't find the determination.

Can someone suggest a basic blues track that i should learn. Also artists, but mainly a track that i can start on.

Look up Hoochie Coochie Man.

Robert Johnson, BB King, Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers, and Willie McTell are good places to start.
I have been playing seriously for about 1 ½. The hardest thing I can play is either the killing hand minus small parts and Root of All Evil solo. So I was wondering what other Dream Theater songs should I try and also some suggestions for Rush songs.

Thanks
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
I have been playing seriously for about 1 ½. The hardest thing I can play is either the killing hand minus small parts and Root of All Evil solo. So I was wondering what other Dream Theater songs should I try and also some suggestions for Rush songs.

Thanks

two of my favorite DT tracks are stream of consciousness and in the name of god
they both have very difficult solos tho.
the one in stream of consciousness doesn't use too crazy techniques i would say. it's just speed.
on the contrary, in the name of god has some crazy stuff. the unisons with the keyboard are really really fast, and has some chromatic licks. and, it's in unison with the keyboard, so you would have to play very quick at the exact same time as the keyboard.
and the real guitar solo has lots of sweep picking. quick also. so i'd advice stream of consciousness.

if you had a 7 string guitar i would tell you LIE, but you probably don't, as i've checked your profile.

you could also try some songs from his solo album, they are hard, but hey.. if you're really into DT why not.
I wondering if there was any Protest The Hero song off there latest two albums ( Dont like there old stuff that much) thats not too complicated (I Know im asking for a gift from god : ) iv been playing for about 3 years although i cant sweep pick i am intrested in learning it. Hope you can suggest anything with just that.
Nautical off of Kezia is probably the easiest you will find. I have part of it down and I'm not that good yet. The hardest part of it is the speed. But does anyone else have suggestions for Dream Theater. Mainly Rush though my dad is a huge fan and they did influence DT greatly. I am not familiar with their work as in good ones to try and learn. I only really know YYZ Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Roll the Bone. Thats all the songs I know haha of them that is
Hi, I've posted in this thread before but I need another song. So I've been playing for a year and things are becoming too easy or too hard. I learned Eruption by Van Halen and half of YYZ by Rush (I don't wanna learn the solo it's boring to me) and I can play them fairly well.

Right now I need a song that will help me get my right and left hand synched. I can manage in both Eruption and YYZ by just tremeloing w/e string I'm playing but I realize that I'll never get any better by faking it.

THE IMPORTANT PART:

Please suggest a fast, electric guitar song, that'll sound terrible if I don't play it exactly correct. Also please make sure there is a tab for it somewhere because when it comes to tabbing fast songs... I can't.
Im 16 and have been playing for 2 years. I need a metal song that will really test my skills. I can already play most Black Dahlia Murder, some Job For A Cowboy and soe In Flames. I need a song that will really push me, preferably in the In Flames melodic metal area
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Hi, I've posted in this thread before but I need another song. So I've been playing for a year and things are becoming too easy or too hard. I learned Eruption by Van Halen and half of YYZ by Rush (I don't wanna learn the solo it's boring to me) and I can play them fairly well.

Right now I need a song that will help me get my right and left hand synched. I can manage in both Eruption and YYZ by just tremeloing w/e string I'm playing but I realize that I'll never get any better by faking it.

THE IMPORTANT PART:

Please suggest a fast, electric guitar song, that'll sound terrible if I don't play it exactly correct. Also please make sure there is a tab for it somewhere because when it comes to tabbing fast songs... I can't.

what you need is to play chromatic scales. i've had the same problem a bit ago and it did help a lot.
start out slowly and then increase speed progreessively. always play clean so you can hear your mistakes.
Hi everybody, I need to play a song in music class, and my "mini band" just have a piano, drums and a guitar (me), but we still don't have any song... I was thinking about top gun anthem, but it is too much guitar, and I will prefer something with more piano in it, I'm not the best in the band, and I don't want to be selfish. But my idea is to play something like that, with an electric guitar, because I'm not a great acoustic guitar player, but I can manage anyways...

sorry for my english, and thanks for the help
hello. can someone give me some songs that involve primarily around arpeggiated chords?

similar to Endless Rain by Satch, or some Chilli stuff....
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by littledude65
Alright, well, I'm 14 and have been playing for 5 years and need a song that will help inprove my fret hand's dexterity, or a song that with a cool rythm part. I usually play rock, but I do play some blues, metal, and shred.

Try The Killing Hand by Dream Theater. It has some cool rhythms and changes quite a bit. Has a hard fast "sextuplet?" Run. Some tapping a short solo, fast alternate picking, has a lot of techniques for one song. As do many other DreamTheater songs this is just an easier one .
Hello!

I'm looking for suggestions of songs to add to my instrumental solo repertoire, which I'm in the process of building. At the moment it consists only of: Drifting by Andy McKee, and an original tune, but additionally I'm thinking about adding Choros No. 1 by Villa-Lobos.

It would be nice if you suggested songs that fit nicely into a solo guitar setting, not necessarily classical songs or anything, but still. As far as skill level goes, I'm quite proficient when it comes to technique and I know my way around chords and theory. I listen to a lot jazz and some rock, but very little to heavy stuff like Iron Maiden and Metallica.

Well, that's it I guess.
So, just suggest away ;D
Hey just joined today and theres not too many good Pixies/Breeders tabs could somebody suggest a song by one of them to tab out, i would be happy to do it. Leave me a comment on my profile ill get it done on guitar ( rhythm and lead) asap. Thanks
Quote by mr_magic
Hello!

I'm looking for suggestions of songs to add to my instrumental solo repertoire, which I'm in the process of building. At the moment it consists only of: Drifting by Andy McKee, and an original tune, but additionally I'm thinking about adding Choros No. 1 by Villa-Lobos.

It would be nice if you suggested songs that fit nicely into a solo guitar setting, not necessarily classical songs or anything, but still. As far as skill level goes, I'm quite proficient when it comes to technique and I know my way around chords and theory. I listen to a lot jazz and some rock, but very little to heavy stuff like Iron Maiden and Metallica.

Well, that's it I guess.
So, just suggest away ;D

Canon Rock is pretty cool. I dont know if thats what your looking for also try to do Fur Elise. I used to know part of it and if you can play Drifting (can you make a video I would like to see) Im sure you could probably get Fur Elise.
might wanna try caprice 7, also known as eugenes trick bag done by steve vai in crossroads(possibly the greatest guitar movie in existence).
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Hi, I'm looking for a song that is easy to learn by ear. It doesn't matter what genre it is, it just have to be easy to learn by ear.

Thank you!
Hey I'm just looking for a new song to play so I can try to break free of all this boredom.

- I've been playing for over four years. I'm at about intermediate skill level.

- Genre: Grunge, Post-Grunge, Metal, Acoustic, etc...
Tuning: Standard, Drop D, or Drop C

- I usually play songs from the genres that I stated above.
Ok I have been plying for about 7 months now and i want to try and learn a song kinda like master of puppets. Like a kinda metal type rock song.

sorry for the bad description

any suggestions???
How about try Master of Puppets. You should be able to nail it. Maybe not the solo but who knows worth a shot do what they say slow it down and practice practice and practic. I never learned the solo but I did know that song back in the hey day of me just starting out.
Quote by AlmostLikeLife
Hey I'm just looking for a new song to play so I can try to break free of all this boredom.

- I've been playing for over four years. I'm at about intermediate skill level.

- Genre: Grunge, Post-Grunge, Metal, Acoustic, etc...
Tuning: Standard, Drop D, or Drop C

- I usually play songs from the genres that I stated above.

try The Great Southern Trendkill from Pantera, not hard, super-funny and solo is really cool!
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
iv been playin for bout a year, i need a good metal song. i can do fast down-picked palm mutes for the rythm part, and the lead i probably wont be able to play, but no sweeps, and it would be good if some chops were required. nothing super-technical. so basically like an easy metallica song, but nothing from master of puppets album cause iv tried learning all of those, and i was somewhat succesfull. and no ****ty nu-metal or metal-core stuff. standard tuning would be good cuz my guitar is equipped with 9's atm

try Decapitated - Spheres of Madness, no solo and imba rythm, some fast small licks aswell
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
Any Jazz suggestions?

Here are some standards that I think are nice:

• Girl from Ipanema
  • I Got Rhythm
  • Autumn Leaves
  • Misty
  • All the Things You are
  • How High the Moon
  • Sophisticated Lady
  • Somewhere Over the Rainbow
  • As Time Goes By
  • Nuages
  • Stella by Starlight
I've been playing for about 5 years, Intermediate level. I play classic rock, modern rock, and I practice a lot of bluesy soloing. I know very little music theory. I know of the I-IV-V scale and I know the um... scales all over the neck, Like the Pentatonic and all the same notes in different spots on the fretboard (idk what the hell its called.) Unfortunately, I cannot play very fast. I wish I could. Maybe it comes with practice. Idk. (help on this?)

Suggest me a good instrumental... I like John Butler's Ocean and SRV's Lenny to give you an idea. Either a electric or acoustic type of thing.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I have two requests based on two areas I'm looking to improve in. Any help would be great.

1. I'm looking for a beginner/intermediate acoustic song that uses a lot of alternate voicings and/or inversions. Basically anything that breaks out of the open position.

2. Also I want to try my hand at nailing a melodeath song. Preferably something with a solo that's challenging but not to advanced. I can't sweep yet. If you were to recommend a beginner's melo-death song what would it be?

I've been playing for 6 years but I've recently scrapped everything and started from scratch so I'm not exactly a beginner....more like low intermediate.

I play mostly grunge and some experimental rock but I'm open to anything
Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Tool, The Deftones, The Porcupine Tree are my favorites.

With the melo-death I'm attempting a major genre switch as I don't have much experience with it at all.
I like COB, In Flames, Insomnium, Soilwork....basically anything from the Gothenberg scene.
1. "Thirty - Three" by The Smashing Pumpkins

2. "Eyes Of A Stranger" by Queensryche

Maybe you don't like Queensryche but that solo is mindblowing amazing

----

Here are some suggestion of songs for people who want some drop D stuff to jam when bored:

Milquetoast
by Helmet
Revolver by RATM

Both are easy, but especially Milquetoast is super fun to play
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by yearzero
I have two requests based on two areas I'm looking to improve in. Any help would be great.

1. I'm looking for a beginner/intermediate acoustic song that uses a lot of alternate voicings and/or inversions. Basically anything that breaks out of the open position.

I'd go with Siva- Smashing Pumpkins, it's not an acoustic song but they do have a cool acoustic version of it.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by 08L1V10N
1. "Thirty - Three" by The Smashing Pumpkins

2. "Eyes Of A Stranger" by Queensryche

Maybe you don't like Queensryche but that solo is mindblowing amazing

Quote by soundgarden19

I'd go with Siva- Smashing Pumpkins, it's not an acoustic song but they do have a cool acoustic version of it.

Thanks guys I'll check em out.

I'll try the Queensryche song but does anyone have any ideas for an easy melo-death song?
Quote by yearzero
Thanks guys I'll check em out.

I'll try the Queensryche song but does anyone have any ideas for an easy melo-death song?

Easy melo-death would be Revolution begins, by Arch enemy.
Dead bury their dead - arch enemy.
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
Hi, I've been playing for 3 years and I'm intermediate. I have been trying to learn Cliffs Of Dover but I'm finding it a little bit too difficult for me in a few parts. I've been working on my blues playing lately so I want a song thats bluesy. I have also been working on jazz playing so can anyone suggest me a few good starter jazz songs as well??
i've been playing for about 2 years and i'm pretty decent. I making a setlist for my schools talent show. the talent show isnt until the winter but i want my songs to be perfect. i'm gonna do three guitar solos (with backing track). so far i have "Samba Pa Ti" by Carlos Santana and Canon Rock by JerryC. Canon rock is pretty challenging so thats my limit but i'm looking for a song thats that level or easier. I've been checking out Satch Boogie, but any suggestions?

P.S. the song must be completely guitar oriented (no vocals, just drum, bass, rythm, in the background).
I've been playing for about a year, and I'm interested in a song that would be a good intro to slide guitar playing. It doesn't matter if it's in an open tuning or anything. The kind of genres I play most often are blues, classic rock, alternative, and thrash. (If you can find a thrash song with a bunch of slide guitar in it, hell will freeze over, so I don't know why I even bothered mentioning it.)
Last edited by _bacon_ at Jul 24, 2008,
hey, ive been playing for about a year, and need 2 pieces to play for my mid-year exam. mainly looking for a kind of neoclassical metal song, but one that is easy, like no sweeps at all. the other piece could either be the same style, or something similar, like a classic rock instrumental or something.

I dont have very long to learn them, so the easier the better probably.
Sorry if this is too specific, but the are meant to be about 1 and a half minutes to 4 minutes in length....

If anyone has anything, i would be really grateful.
Hello
Quote by schecter ftw
Hi, I've been playing for 3 years and I'm intermediate. I have been trying to learn Cliffs Of Dover but I'm finding it a little bit too difficult for me in a few parts. I've been working on my blues playing lately so I want a song thats bluesy. I have also been working on jazz playing so can anyone suggest me a few good starter jazz songs as well??

You want to learn jazz? Lessons, hours of study, and practice, practice, practice. As for blues, check out Delta Blues (acoustic, such as Robert Johnson, Son House and Robert Petway) and Chicago Blues (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, and Freddie King. Listen, listen, listen and get your basic chord progressions down.
I decided I wanted to learn some blues rock songs, I don't really wanna learn anything by Jimi Hendrix, seeing as I know a few of his songs... Anyone know of some fun blues rock songs I can learn?

some blues rock I already know is Black Dog, Purple Haze, Hey Joe, and a few random licks, amongst others

I've been playing 2 1/2 years

I usually play punk / grunge.

Hard to really say what my skill level is... I'm self taught, so I'd say intermediate
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Jul 3, 2008,