Page 5 of 60
Quote by Swap-Meet
I decided I wanted to learn some blues rock songs, I don't really wanna learn anything by Jimi Hendrix, seeing as I know a few of his songs... Anyone know of some fun blues rock songs I can learn?

some blues rock I already know is Black Dog, Purple Haze, Hey Joe, and a few random licks, amongst others

I've been playing 2 1/2 years

I usually play punk / grunge.

Hard to really say what my skill level is... I'm self taught, so I'd say intermediate

Learn just about any Cream song. I suggest starting with Crossroads, Sunshine of your Love, and Born Under a Bad Sign. Also, a lot of early Zeppelin would be great. Songs like You Shook Me (uses slide), Communication Breakdown, The Lemon Song, and Whole Lotta Love are great. Also, I would have suggested learning Red House by Hendrix, but seeing as you really don't want to give him a chance.....

Also, if you really want some more advanced stuff, you can learn just about any song by Joe Bonamassa. My favorites are Sloe Gin and Blues Deluxe. You can also begin listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Any song on the Texas Flood album is good, but his best IMO are Texas Flood, Testify, and Mary Had a Little Lamb

There are so many others. Call Me the Breeze by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Southbound and Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers Band. Hard to Handle and Remedy by the Black Crowes. Just look for them, and you can find a whole lot of great songs.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
ive been playing 1 1/2-2 years...

ive been playing rhythm for the band im in and want to try some new stuff...my band plays lots of indie/pop rock stuff, but id like to try some of that or maybe some punk...some bands we play are coldplay, oasis, wolfmother, dashboard, and snow patrol...

id like to try something not terribly difficult but challenging enough for a rhythm player...
Gear:

Ibanez Artcore TXD (Semihollow)
Fender Tele
Line 6 Spider II 2x12
Squier P-bass
Cubase LE
Tascam us122l
MXL mic

favorite band:Raconteurs/QOTSA

LOOKING FOR A GRETSCH!!!! PM ME IF YOU WANT TO SELL OR TRADE YOURS!!!!!
i've been playing about 4 years and i focus primarily on classical, which tends to make more sense to me. i can read sheet music well, but tab blows my mind. anyway, i need to learn how to rock. I'm thinking jimi hendrix kind of stuff. i want to be able to play more of a blues/rock kind of thing.

so what's the best place to start that would be at my skill level, but teach me more of this genre?
Jimi- Hey Joe, Purple Haze and Castles made of sand
SRV- Texas Flood, Pride and Joy

that's for you to get started.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by Blue Motion
i've been playing about 4 years and i focus primarily on classical, which tends to make more sense to me. i can read sheet music well, but tab blows my mind. anyway, i need to learn how to rock. I'm thinking jimi hendrix kind of stuff. i want to be able to play more of a blues/rock kind of thing.

so what's the best place to start that would be at my skill level, but teach me more of this genre?

Check post #161.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
im looking for a song that will challenge my vocals. i am most comfortable in the deeper ranges and want something that will help me strengthen my higher ranges. i am male, and most enjoy anything rock, i.e. foo fighters, breaking Benjamin, RHCP, matchbox 20
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Dunjma
im looking for a song that will challenge my vocals. i am most comfortable in the deeper ranges and want something that will help me strengthen my higher ranges. i am male, and most enjoy anything rock, i.e. foo fighters, breaking Benjamin, RHCP, matchbox 20

Try learning some Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder has quite a low range as well, and he has a good vibrato to his voice that you could try and mimic.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
thanks dude, that was very helpful, i think eddie vedder is just what i wanted. cheers.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
no problem. His range and mine are very similar, so I end up singing a lot of Pearl Jam songs. My favorites are Black and Better Man.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
can anyone recommend me a song with tapping in it? I can only do very elementary tapping. i just tried to learn protest the hero's "Sequioa Throne" and it is nearly impossible for me to do the tapping intro. It is completely frustrating. I have been playing for 2 and a half years but have only started to become a better player in the past year. I love all styles of music from all time periods, so any sort of song is welcome. also if anyone has any technical metal that helped them become a better player i would love to learn that too. thanks for the help!!
Quote by emnur
can anyone recommend me a song with tapping in it? I can only do very elementary tapping. i just tried to learn protest the hero's "Sequioa Throne" and it is nearly impossible for me to do the tapping intro. It is completely frustrating. I have been playing for 2 and a half years but have only started to become a better player in the past year. I love all styles of music from all time periods, so any sort of song is welcome. also if anyone has any technical metal that helped them become a better player i would love to learn that too. thanks for the help!!

Try Am I Evil either Metallica or Diamond Head version. I know that it is trilled but it makes a good tapping exercise
Something Blues since im looking for a few new blues artists to hear...I play for 11 months now. Any suggestions?
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by alexdoabismo
Something Blues since im looking for a few new blues artists to hear...I play for 11 months now. Any suggestions?

Two of the best blues albums you will ever hear:

Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (the Beano album) - John Mayall and the Blues Breakers

Also, if you can find anything by Robert Johnson you can learn a tremendous amount.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 7, 2008,
^thanks...
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Blues solos
Yeah, I'm looking to learn a few different blues solos

I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, self taught, and I am looking to learn some blues / Blues rock.

Not really looking for too hard, looking for something more fun than hard.

I really like the Purple Haze solo, I also like the Stairway solo
^ How about checking out some Joe Bonamassa. That guy still blows my mind. 'I Know Where I Belong,' 'Stone Cold Hearted' and 'Bridge To Better Days' are some of my favorites.

Listen to some Stevie Ray Vaughan aswell if you haven't already.
Hey. I wanna learn a nice, calm, kinda slow and not TOO hard acoustic solo. Something that would really impress people and make them say, "Wow, that's nice."
I'm open to any suggestions so go for it.
Thank you. . .
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by Kynyster_K
Hey. I wanna learn a nice, calm, kinda slow and not TOO hard acoustic solo. Something that would really impress people and make them say, "Wow, that's nice."
I'm open to any suggestions so go for it.
Thank you. . .

Jack Johnson has always been a favorite of mine; plus he's really well known, so if you were playing to a group of people, most of them would know the songs already. Also, learn to play some Bob Dylan. As bad of a singer he is (I'm assuming you want to sing), he has great lyrics.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
ok.. how can I explain what I need xD
ehm, I want to get to play solo's faster. i can't sweep, not to good at hammer-ons/pull-offs, and most things I know are way too fast. Something like the solo of November Rain by GnR? maybe a bit more fire in it though, gimme some metal!
It'd be nice (so it's not really important) if someone could suggest a couple of solo's which are written in one scale, and which are about 2 minutes long :P
Thanks in advance!
Hmm. Well, I have more than one request, if that's alright?

I've been playing for almost 4 years... I'm not sure what I'd call myself ability-wise. I've never been taught theory.

I'm looking for a song/some songs that will improve my technical ability and teach me something (theory, technique, whatever, I just want to get better). It doesn't really matter what genre it is.

And for my second request.. I'm a budding singer/screamer/growler. I can do Opeth stuff while playing guitar (such as The Grand Conjuration), but it tends to be built so it's easy to sing and play at the same time. Can anyone suggest some good screamo songs? My screaming is a little embarrassing with how pathetic it is, so I'm looking for some good songs to learn to play and scream with. When I say screamo, I mean emo/hardcore/whatever screaming.. I can get lower stuff like Opeth's "screams."

Please and thanks. =)
Hi, I've been playing guitar for a couple weeks now, and know some beginner songs, bits and pieces of other harder songs, etc. Usually I play rock/metal songs from around the 80's era, such as parts of Rock You Like A Hurricane and We're Not Gonna Take it, but I do know some 90's and 00's songs too, such as the beginning to All The Small Things. That would be great if someone could suggest to me some other beginner songs that are in or close to standard tuning, and don't involve harder techniques like sweeping. Minimal string skipping please, too. Thanks!
Quote by boomtank
ok.. how can I explain what I need xD
ehm, I want to get to play solo's faster. i can't sweep, not to good at hammer-ons/pull-offs, and most things I know are way too fast. Something like the solo of November Rain by GnR? maybe a bit more fire in it though, gimme some metal!
It'd be nice (so it's not really important) if someone could suggest a couple of solo's which are written in one scale, and which are about 2 minutes long :P
Thanks in advance!

Get a Joe Satriani album called Crystal Planet. He is a great legato player, and you can learn infinite amounts of left hand technique from him. If I have to give specific songs, then Secret Prayer, Raspberry Jam Delta-V and Crystal Planet would be the best. Some other great albums by him would be Surfing with the Alien and The Extremist. And if you want some of teh br00tlz, learn Holy Wars... The Punishment Due by Megadeth. It's great for developing your right hand gallop, and if you are going to be playing metal, your going to have to learn rhythm. Another good right hand developer would be the last section of One by Metallica.

Quote by Garb
I'm looking for a song/some songs that will improve my technical ability and teach me something (theory, technique, whatever, I just want to get better). It doesn't really matter what genre it is.

First off, you can't learn theory by playing a song. That has to be done on your own. As far as technique, Joe Satriani for legato and Paul Gilbert for alternate picking and string skipping. For Satch, look at my above paragraph for suggestions. For Gilbert, get the Get Out of My Yard album. The best tracks to learn from IMO are Rusty Old Boat and Full Tank.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
First off, you can't learn theory by playing a song. That has to be done on your own. As far as technique, Joe Satriani for legato and Paul Gilbert for alternate picking and string skipping. For Statch, look at my above paragraph for suggestions. For Gilbert, get the Get Out of My Yard album. The best tracks to learn from IMO are Rusty Old Boat and Full Tank.

Thanks. =)
I should've made it more clear.. I usually try to analyze the song I'm playing. I know you can't learn theory from playing.. I was referring to an unusual way of arranging things.. Which I'll learn from studying Satch. lol
i need 2 songs to play live for my music school. been playing for just under a year now and looking for something along the lines of Jimi hendrix - rolling stones - the who - nirvana - ac/dc. its gotta have a solo (hopefully not hard).
Last edited by alexdoabismo at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Jack Johnson has always been a favorite of mine; plus he's really well known, so if you were playing to a group of people, most of them would know the songs already. Also, learn to play some Bob Dylan. As bad of a singer he is (I'm assuming you want to sing), he has great lyrics.

Thank You
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by alexdoabismo
i need 2 songs to play live for my music school. been playing for just under a year now and looking for something along the lines of Jimi hendrix - rolling stones - the who - nirvana - ac/dc. its gotta have a solo (hopefully not hard).

Foxey Lady by Hendrix could be a good choice. The solo's not too hard, and there's some great rhythm parts in there so it'll show you're a well rounded musician if you play it well.
Quote by Garb
Thanks. =)
I should've made it more clear.. I usually try to analyze the song I'm playing. I know you can't learn theory from playing.. I was referring to an unusual way of arranging things.. Which I'll learn from studying Satch. lol

Okay, sorry. Then definately listen to Raspberry Jam Delta-V. It's got a great pedal note groove in B Mixolydian.

And your welcome everyone else!

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by alexdoabismo

AC/DC - You Shook me All Night Long could be a great choice for one
Erm, hey

I'd like a song thats easy to learn, (I'm a complete beginner ) and one that doesnt have too much advanced technique in it

thanks!
Quote by Jay2007
Erm, hey

I'd like a song thats easy to learn, (I'm a complete beginner ) and one that doesnt have too much advanced technique in it

thanks!

Start with learning open chords. Just about any modern rock song will utilize at least 3. I'd suggest learning some Jack Johnson or Bob Dylan. Work your way towards playing barre chords. Also, if you are interested in learning theory (which I highly recomend), begin with the major scale. We have a great FAQ stickied that could be very helpful to you.

Happy learning!

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Oops, I meant complete beginner in that I haven't learned a song before >_<

I know power chords and A-G major chords, but that's about it
Quote by Jay2007
Oops, I meant complete beginner in that I haven't learned a song before >_<

I know power chords and A-G major chords, but that's about it

I understood what you meant. I'm not kidding when I say learn your open and barre chords. They are essential, yet for some unknown reason, lots of self taught guitarists ignore them.... You need to be able to strum before you can shred, just like you need to be able to crawl before you can run. Start by learning your fundamentals and then work towards more advanced concepts. Here is a list of some songs I learned when I began playing (only chords):

Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
Yesterday - The Beatles
Help! - The Beatles
Amy - Pure Prarie League
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts
Angie - The Rolling Stones
Hey Jude - The Beatles

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 13, 2008,
I'm looking for a song with a solo comparable to Master of Puppets (the fast one). I'm really close to completing Sweet Child O'Mine, and I would like something to work on next. The problem with MoP is that I'm playing on a Les Paul and i find it impossible to play fast past the 17th, which will make it a lot harder if I try MoP. Preferably by Van Halen, Gn'R, Metallica, or a similar band, and not tons of playing very high up on the fretboard. Thanks
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Cool idea for a thread.

I'm looking for something new to work on. I'm an intermediate to somewhat good player, currently working on LTE's Paradigm Shift and Yngwie's Far Beyond the Sun. However, what I really want is something more metal to cut my teeth on. I'm kind of limited to songs in standard tuning, since my guitar has a floyd and is set up for E. Lead,rhythm, tapping, sweeping, whatever, as long as it's metal and suitable to my level. Suggestions would be awesome.
Hey, I am looking for a few songs to practice/learn sweep picking and shredding. Also I would like something to build up better speed. I can play like These Colours Don't Run by Iron Maiden (Except for solos) and The Trooper Intro and that stuff. Been playin 1 1/2 year now.

I mostly like the Metal stuff (Not a fan of Cannibal Corpse and guys like that). Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Basic Heavy Metal would be good. Even Progressive metal would be okey as I am checking that style out now.
Hey! I've been playing for 4 or so years and I have decided to take up shred.

I know most of the techniques to the point where I know how to do them, I CAN do them, I just haven't perfected them quite yet.

So, I was wondering, what song(s) should I learn to help me practice alternate picking/picking versitality, legato, and sweeping.

So...

4 years experience
Starting out on shred
Song for legato, alternate picking, and sweeping

EDIT: PM if possible!
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by The.new.guy

4 years experience
Starting out on shred
Song for legato, alternate picking, and sweeping

Children of Bodom - Kissing the Shadows
Hey Guys,
I have my GCSE's coming up soon and i really need a Grade5/6ish Piece or just a Piece that could be equivalent for my solo performance
ive been playing about 2-3 years ( 2 years before that on and off)
I listen to a huge mix of music but for this i would like a metal/rock piece, maybe an instrumental
Finally 2 songs i had in mind are Wrathchild by Iron Maiden and Call of the Ktulu by Metallica(maybe needs a little more practise) but can anyone tell me if these are good enough pieces or even better suggest a piece for me
[EDIT] Maybe Fear of the Dark by Maiden as well, anyone believe thats good enough for grade 5 or 6ish
Last edited by Titch2011 at Jul 17, 2008,