Page 1 of 2
So, I'm very seriously considering taking out an interest-free loan via this site and buying myself a new PRS Custom 24. I've tried a secondhand Custom 22 and loved it (though I would've liked the action a bit lower, but I can change that anyway), and I'm guessing that there's not much difference between the two models besides fret number and accessability(sp?)?

I'm also considering a Gibson Les Paul Classic, as I adore the tones the other guitarist in my band gets from his. At the local PRS dealer I intend on trying the Gibson and the PRS next to each other and seeing which one I like the most, feel and tone-wise.

The type of music I play in my band is predominantly Stoner Rock/Metal a la Kyuss, Orange Goblin/Down with a touch of RATM/Audioslave in there too. But besides in the band, I am a very open-minded player and enjoy playing everything from Country and Blues to Jazz etc (pretty much any contemporary genre). I take it both the PRS and Gibson are very versatile.

Does anyone here have any words of wisdom about either models, opinions, your experiences with them or any other recommendations?

For those that want a pic, here's the PRS for you:

And the PRS page for it with specs
Oh, and before anyone mentions amps, I'm buying an Orange Rockverb 100 with 4x12 cab soon.
Also, the guitar would need to withstand heavy gigging, which I'm sure, at their prices, they can cope with. :P
Cheers!
Last edited by Steve The Plank at May 24, 2008,
well prs arent really my thing. But my teacher who has had a few fair custom made guitar still says his prs mccarty is the best thing hes ever heard. I mean he showed me it and sounded like an accoustic volume wise. I mean the sound was georgous but i didnt like the neck to much, but thats proberly just me.

btw if gibson is on the left hand side of the spectrum, and fender on the right prs is pretty much bang in the middle.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
i wish i was u you. prs AND a rock verb! i dont think you coiuld make a better choice.
Reminds me of Rob Chappers, he has the PRS and rockerverb 100.
But yeah, I say go for it!
Signatures are overrated.
Get it, I played a 22 the other day, I broke into tears cause it felt so amazing in my hands, the price tag was 1350, and it was used.
I've played a PRS Custom 24 quite a few times in the past and I absolutely love them. They're far more versatile than say a Les Paul or Strat and they have an incrediblely unique sound.

My dream setup is a American Deluxe Strat and a Custom 24.

So I'm half way there...
it really is an awesome guitar and i wouldnt take a gibson over it. i dont think you should take a loan for a guitar though, that is a little over the top unless you have the money to spend. i suggest looking at carvin though. they have the same design but are way better(imo).
Being an avid LP collector and player.. I will say that the PRS is a bit more versatile. The CUstom 24 does sound a little better also being that the neck length is a bit longer. Lil more baritone. Although.. if you play metal.. I would go with the LP Classic. They have way hotter pickups that the PRS... the 500T in the bridge screams. Thats also an odd choice of amp for the type of music your play also. Orange amps are british voiced.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
How does the loan work? I'm genuinely surprised there is this kind of scheme. I might use it myself.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
Being an avid LP collector and player.. I will say that the PRS is a bit more versatile. The CUstom 24 does sound a little better also being that the neck length is a bit longer. Lil more baritone. Although.. if you play metal.. I would go with the LP Classic. They have way hotter pickups that the PRS... the 500T in the bridge screams. Thats also an odd choice of amp for the type of music your play also. Orange amps are british voiced.

does the PRS also sound as fat and warm as the LP ?
I'd say, yeah why not. They are kick ass guitars.

But make sure you try it out so you know the neck profile, the sound, the feel, and such. £2000 is a **** load, you don't want to waste it in 5 secs rather than take your time. There are so many choices available for you at this price so take your time and research the hell out of good guitars!

To people recommending Carvin, it's kinda gay since we're on this side of the water so it'll be more expensive to get it here. Do Carvin ship to UK?
Quote by The red Strat.
does the PRS also sound as fat and warm as the LP ?

I've found PRS to have a more balanced tone that Gibsons. Not good or bad, it's just a different tone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
GET ONE. I am absolutely loving mine. but where are you gonna come up with the $$ for an Orange amp?
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
dude, no...thats obviously for beginners...you need a squire...ive heard they're pretty good...J/K
yeah that prs would be a nice guitar to have
but an orange amp...idk...i have never been a fan of orange...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I haven't heard a single bad thing about PRS. I'm sure you will not be dissapointed. And the fact that Opeth uses them can only mean one thing: they're good!
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by LesPaulFreeek

The pups on the 24 are hot enough for anything.
Quote by godofshred
your from the uk?

have a word with mark from Bailey guitars.. he can do something like that for you for less and have it totally custom
and look at blackmachine too

Actually look into Bailey, my friend won a competition in a radio station and won a guitar custom made to her own choice. They've still to build it but I'll post something up if it's any good.
Quote by zhunt1130
The pups on the 24 are hot enough for anything.

yeah.. the PRS dragon pups are sweet... most PRS pups are pretty hot.. I was just stating that the 500T is the hottest one that Gibson makes. You can almost get a screaming Dimebag tone out of it with the right amp. When I had my PRS.. i added a coil tap on my neck pickup and it became a VERRY versatile guitar

Boss GT-8
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
yeah.. the PRS dragon pups are sweet... most PRS pups are pretty hot.. I was just stating that the 500T is the hottest one that Gibson makes. You can almost get a screaming Dimebag tone out of it with the right amp. When I had my PRS.. i added a coil tap on my neck pickup and it became a VERRY versatile guitar

Ahh my mistake, I thought you meant to say that the pups weren't hot.
That question doesn't make sense. You shouldn't buy a PRS Custom 24: if you have the money, you MUST buy it!
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I've found PRS to have a more balanced tone that Gibsons. Not good or bad, it's just a different tone.

so not as fat ?
Thanks for the replies guys.

LesPaulFreeek:
I'm not a huge metal player in the sense that you're probably thinking of. I'm not after absolutely crushing sounds, but enough gain to pull off stoner/desert rock/metal well, and if the Custom 24 is good enough for Opeth (who go a lot heavier than I will need to), it's good enough for me :P But like I said, really I mostly play blues/rock anyway.
As for your thing about Orange amps, I'm not quite sure what you mean by British voicing, but after hearing and playing them, I absolutely love how it sounds, and think it will be perfect for my tone.

Hemani Co:
The loan works like this. If you are in England, you go to one of those selected stores and choose the instrument you want. You pay a 10% deposit for it, then pay another 10% per month. There is no interest for it since it is some organization thing ran to encourage young musicians in the UK.

FacingUsAll:
I wouldn't be able to find a Carvin to try in the UK, and I'm not spending that much money on something I can't try beforehand.

Moe.:
That video was very entertaining, if a little biased Anyway, I love his setup, he uses pretty much the exact same rig I want in most of his videos!
any PRS owner will admit the 24 and the single cut for instants will not be as gutsy as the les paul.

The les paul bodies are thicker and the pick ups are different. But its very close !!!!!!!!

Single cut Trem is the way to go.....if gibson made a les paul gibson with a trem years ago instead of bitching about PRS int he court room maybe they would be he best guitars made, But instead they change their distribution techniques and do it themselves cutting cots of quality control and high quality wood, ...and then PRS become the best guitar mamfacturer in the world ! lol.....but thats my view.
youll be happy with the PRS then... it is a kck ass axe. British voiced cabs are typically sounding like Zep, The Who, beatles, ANimals and such. Mostly Marshalsl loaded with greenbacks or VoxAC30 and such. Your not gonna get a Dave Mustaine type metal tone out of them. But they are awesome for classic rock.

Boss GT-8
Where's Rob Chappers? He has the same setup

And methinks you'll be very very happy with that setup. I'll be suprised if that PRS doesn't last longer than you do. Those things.... they're tough (see SRV's "Third Stone from the Sun" from El Mocambo to see a tough guitar though....).

I'm very jealous man. Sounds like my dream setup, except switch the guitar with a 70's Strat in cream white..... mmmmmm.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
PRS make the best guitars.

Ask Mikael Arkfeldt.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
youll be happy with the PRS then... it is a kck ass axe. British voiced cabs are typically sounding like Zep, The Who, beatles, ANimals and such. Mostly Marshalsl loaded with greenbacks or VoxAC30 and such. Your not gonna get a Dave Mustaine type metal tone out of them. But they are awesome for classic rock.

I thought you meant something like that. I'm not a huge fan of thrash or anything, so that's all good.
I am suddenly remembering how much I enjoy that fat LP tone though, which is kinda worrying, since I've been pretty much set on a PRS for a while now... But I guess when I play them back to back at the store today I'll make up my mind!
Well, I played the PRS and LP next to each other today, and I have to say, the PRS crushes it in feel, looks and sound, in my opinion.
The amount of sounds you can get with the PRS is unreal - the cleans are absolutely beautiful, and distorted is bloody gorgeous too. The neck felt so comfortable, and everything about it was just right (except I would've preferred to try it with .10 gauge strings as opposed to the .09s on there, but oh well).
The LP just felt more like a chore to play - the neck on it felt like it was missing something after I had just played the PRS, and the sound seemed to be lacking on the clean and distorted channel compared to it.
So yeah, hopefully soon you'll all be seeing pictures of the PRS I'm gonna get .
Oh, and if anyone cares, I was originally set on the Whale Blue finish, but in the flesh the Blue Matteo is a lot nicer than the others, so I reckon I'll go with that one!
Get it. It's unbelievable how comfortable the neck feels and how EASY it is to play on it.
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
*drools*

What a beautiful guitar.

I have dreams of owning it.

*Phoenix Down!*

And BTW, Steve ended up getting the PRS Custom 24. And a very beautiful one indeed
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Last edited by Mahoru at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Steve The Plank
Lol @ the bump.

I finally have enough money(£1500) to do the guitar reasonable justice with a new amp... But what amp?

Matamp? Cornford?
Page 1 of 2