Is it even possible? When I'm trying to tab a song, it sounds nice to me. Then I look at a tab someone other wrote and then I try to play it, that sounds 10 times better than my version. I tab the songs way too high or way too low. What should I do about it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Keep tabbing.

The more you do it, the better you become and the more accustomed to the notes you become. Ear training takes a lot of work and time.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
Keep tabbing.

The more you do it, the better you become and the more accustomed to the notes you become. Ear training takes a lot of work and time.

So you really can practise this? Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
So you really can practise this? Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Absolutely you can!

A good way to start is by transcribing some straightforward vocal melodies from songs, as they tend to be slower and simpler than guitar lines. They'll also help to make your guitar solos more melodic as well
Check out these sites if you want:
http://www.ossmann.com/bigears/
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
http://www.musictheory.net/ (go to "trainers" and there are interval, scale, and chord ear trainers)

Free ear training program:
http://www.miles.be/fet.html

Never tried the program but hell, it's free and worth a shot.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I tried to tab a bit from Afraid to shoot strangers with Iron Maiden.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----4s5--7--7s9----7---5---4---2--0--10s12--10--8--7--5--3---2--0----|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Is this decent? You guys could try playing it.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
i think it sounds fine. idk.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by elgalad
Which part is it? It's hard to tell just from the tab.

It's the lead guitar right at the beginning
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Oh yeah, I see it now. I was thinking the faster lead bit where the tempo picks up. Haven't listened to that song in a while.

You've got most of it, but you might want to have another listen to the 7---5---4---2---0 part. It's a little bit off, but not by much. Don't stress too much about the small things at first. The more you listen and try to pick things up by ear, the easier it will get - just takes time is all. I try and set aside at least an hour a day to ear training, plus most of my weekends.

Good luck
Quote by elgalad
Oh yeah, I see it now. I was thinking the faster lead bit where the tempo picks up. Haven't listened to that song in a while.

You've got most of it, but you might want to have another listen to the 7---5---4---2---0 part. It's a little bit off, but not by much. Don't stress too much about the small things at first. The more you listen and try to pick things up by ear, the easier it will get - just takes time is all. I try and set aside at least an hour a day to ear training, plus most of my weekends.

Good luck

Okay, how do you practise this? By just tabbing out a song yourself and then check on a quality tab site and see if it was clsoe to it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I'd usually tab it out as best I can, until it sounds right to my ears, then leave it alone for a couple days. After that, I'll come back and take another listen, see is there's any wrong notes in there I missed earlier.

The bits you missed on that Maiden tune are the faster parts of the lead (the triplets, specifically). That's where slowing down the song comes in handy. Windows Media Player has an option to slow down a song without altering pitch, which can be very useful for faster parts. I use it all the time.

You can check it against a tab to start with, but don't let it become a crutch. Make sure you tab out the whole song as best you can before checking against the tab. Be honest with yourself, and it will come to you in time.

Tab out everything you can get your hands on. Ear training is probably the most labor-intensive skill associated with being a musician. You just have to be patient and work your ass off