Hey, i've noticed that a lot of the time, on this forum, people say "don't buy a distortion pedal to go with a tube amp!!!". Yet, if someone had a solid state amp (Probably even if they had a roland JC and wanted more gain than the drive channel can give, where an overdrive would probably mud it up) and was asking for advice on distortion pedals, people would say "get a tube amp with an overdriven channel. The JC is a clean amp".

Now, it might be useful advice to give to somebody who doesn't really know what they are trying to achieve, to tell them to get an overdrive pedal to go with a tube amp, as you can't really go wrong with the distorted tone you get from it (imo). But sometimes, people want a harder tone to contrast against the smooth overdrive their tube amp produces - like me. Distortion pedals tend to deliver a tone that an overdriven Fender Blues Jr with a tubescreamer just can't provide, and are also useful for switching between clean and distorted tones on single-channel amps (while it sounds great with a little tube breakup, I personally don't like the sound of an overdrive pedal run through a clean amp). Distortion pedals also sound better through tube amps, to me, and pedals like the Boss DS-1 only get a bad reputation because people either run them through a solid state amp, or put them through a tube amp and refuse to like it because "its wrong to use a distortion pedal with a tube amp". Oh and because they are cheap. Well, thats my opinion.

Anyway, discuss...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think people usually say it because the tube amp in question has a good enough distortion tone anyway, and often reccommend a tubescreamer for that extra bit of gain.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
I think people usually say it because the tube amp in question has a good enough distortion tone anyway, and often reccommend a tubescreamer for that extra bit of gain.

yeah, but you might be looking for a hard clipped sound that you can't get by boosting a tube amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Distortion pedals lack ballz. It just cant make your pants fall off. A cranked tube amp on the lead channel will.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
theres nothing wrong with distortion pedals, itll add a completely different voicing so more versatility.

OD pedals can be used to boost and tighten up your allready overdriven amp. It depends on what you want. I dont reccomend using OD on an SS amp.
I use a distortion pedal with my VK 212 cuz I haven't got a footswitch yet and the onboard distortion is a bit dark....I had no problems with this combination.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by LP_CL
Distortion pedals lack ballz. It just cant make your pants fall off. A cranked tube amp on the lead channel will.

At this point i only have 2 words to say:

Big. Muff.

edit: also, thanks beckyjc, thats exactly what i was trying to say in the first post, in a lot less words

Quote by Blompcube

Big. Muff.

edit: also, thanks beckyjc, thats exactly what i was trying to say in the first post, in a lot less words

i have one word to say:
no

ive had the big muff, and i still have a metal muff, and its just not the same. It really lacks a certain vibe, a warmth, a awesomeness.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
i have one word to say:
no

ive had the big muff, and i still have a metal muff, and its just not the same. It really lacks a certain vibe, a warmth, a awesomeness.

well, to each his own, but the tube power amp tends to add that warmth to distortion pedals when the amp is pushed to gigging volumes. besides i wasn't saying the big muff has the tube amp vibe, i was just saying it definitely doesn't lack ballz, which was your original point.

Quote by LP_CL
i have one word to say:
no

well some occasions its necessary, you'd have a better chance of getting modern metal sounds out of a vintagely voiced low gain amp with an actual separate distortion pedal.

Valves are not the be all and end all of everything.

I much prefer just using the gain from my OD and big muff than my built in drive. Just because they're nice pedals and they're more versatile. You get what you pay for, you invest in a good distortion epdal, you get good tone.
Big Muffs really aren't a great example, hugely overhyped pedal IMO.

The problem is, to get a quality drive pedal that is good in tone, you have to spend a LOT of money on a boutique box otherwise it can be money wasted quite easily.

The reason people disagree with it is that they tend to lack warmth and using an amp's own dirt is not exactly an outdated practice.

And I don't understand why people don't like using OD pedals with SS amps, the idea is that they, first and foremost, are designed to add their own dirt. Guitarists discovered that the Tubescreamer had a great sideffect of being able to boost the signal and OD the tubes, however...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by beckyjc
well some occasions its necessary, you'd have a better chance of getting modern metal sounds out of a vintagely voiced low gain amp with an actual separate distortion pedal.

Well, thats 100% true. Maybe im just prejudiced by my 6505.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
My Orange's OD channel is almost useless to me. Slap me if you want. I'm a post rocker/noise maker, not a classic rocker. I'd say it's about 80% Rat and Muff, and 20% OD channel, use wise. I bought the Orange for the clean channel. I tried a few fenders at the time (Twin, Super, Deluxe) and liked the Orange clean better. And at around the same coin as the Twin, who cares if I don't use the other channel much?
These go to eleven...
The distortion channel on my Peavey C30 doesn't give me the variety of tones I get with pedals. On one loop I have a 3 channel Hafler T3 preamp that's awesome. On my other loop I have an English Muffin, J&H, Big Muff, and a Nady TD-1. The right channel on the J&H replaced my Rat.
My experience tube amp + distortion pedal hasn't been good. However, my band's guitarist uses Proco Rat + Peavey Windsor, and it sounds decent.
well i think great tube amp with no pedals dirtboxes running into it wins in theory. The sound would be clearer and more transparent and more dynamic ect.

Unfortunately, not all of us can afford tube amps that are good enough on their own. Some people like to run an od or boost (or sometimes distortion too) to push the amp that much further. On the other hand, some people like to ditch their amp distortion alltogether and get a pedal that betters it.

There ARE distortion pedals that are worth it but they are pricey. imo they are only actually worth it if your amps distortion doesnt take you where you wanna go.

also i just dont understand.. i really dont like the ds1 but i love satch's tone and that is the main source of it.
I think if you use a good distortion pedal with a tube amp its ok.
I mean Metal Zones, Big Muffs and Metal Muffs aren't going to do that great.
But if you get a Pro Tone Body Rot (i've heard they are quite good) or a tube distortion pedal then i don't see a problem.
I know for a fact the Metal Zone sounds no better on my 15 watt crate than it does on my 5150, it just kinda covers the amps sound.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
there's nothing wrong with it if that's the tone you're after...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by no_thing101
also i just dont understand.. i really dont like the ds1 but i love satch's tone and that is the main source of it.

i think his is keeley modded.

also, dave_mc, you're correct, but still people try to argue with that as though tube tone is the be all and end all of everything. in the thread that inspired me to post this, someone was looking for a distortion pedal to get a 1990s alternative rock type of sound, which basically, is the correct way to go about it, and everyone said "no don't use distortion pedals with tube amps!!! get an overdrive pedal! distortion pedals will never be as good as tube OD!", when tube overdrive isn't the tone that guy was trying to achieve.

@MrCarrot - i thought the big muff was overhyped until i tried one

I have an Epiphone Valve Jr stack and my Boss OD-20 Drive Zone sounds really good with it .

Chris
Quote by Blompcube

Big. Muff.

Big Muffs are scooped so unless you boost them with TS style OD pedal, they get utterly lost in any kind of mix.

And if you boost them, they sound like ass.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
*throws 2 cents*

The whole tube/ss/od/dist debate is probably one of the hottest ones running on UG.

In my opinion, a tube amp with natural power amp saturation is the best sound. Not only does it sound the best to my ears, I find that the dynamics of my playing are exaggerated and the amp is more responsive when the power amp is saturated.

When someone comes onto UG and is describing their influences/needs, more often than not it will be "classic rock". Now, when someone says this I think Led Zep, AC/DC, GnR etc. Bands who achieve their tone with overdriven tube amps. Hence why tube amps are so often recommended on here, and if they need more gain than that, then an overdrive pedal is the most natural way to achieve this.

If someone requires a different tone to this, then it all goes out the window and everything else becomes an equal solution to the problem.

It all depends on the tone requirements of the individual.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
I'm a bad person. I sometimes do things that UG would tell me not to do, like put a Boss distortion or a Big Muff over the distortion of my 5150. Hmm. Shame on me.
Quote by timi_hendrix

I'm going to dissagree, having boosted my Muff with several different pedals with great results for the past year.
it's probably because amp distortion on a tube amp is just killer compared to a stompbox.

but yeah.. what I used to do with one I had was set the gain real slight (not like an overdrive) and I would turn it on, hardly make the distortion sound any different but the gain was so much more.. just for that heavier stuff.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Big Muffs are scooped so unless you boost them with TS style OD pedal, they get utterly lost in any kind of mix.

i turn the volume all the way up. then no midrange is lost

Quote by Blompcube
also, dave_mc, you're correct, but still people try to argue with that as though tube tone is the be all and end all of everything. in the thread that inspired me to post this, someone was looking for a distortion pedal to get a 1990s alternative rock type of sound, which basically, is the correct way to go about it, and everyone said "no don't use distortion pedals with tube amps!!! get an overdrive pedal! distortion pedals will never be as good as tube OD!", when tube overdrive isn't the tone that guy was trying to achieve.

yeah, that's true. not to mention, it's not like by using an overdrive pedal that you don't have silicon in your signal path...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TechnicolorType
it's probably because amp distortion on a tube amp is just killer compared to a stompbox.

but yeah.. what I used to do with one I had was set the gain real slight (not like an overdrive) and I would turn it on, hardly make the distortion sound any different but the gain was so much more.. just for that heavier stuff.

depending on the pedal, that can also tighten the sound nicely too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?