Probably be done before, but I can't be fucked trawling through the 15 pages of threads that the search would return were I to search for such a thread.

Anyway it is common opinion that death metal as a genre is going nowhere. I'm obliged to say this is largely true. I don't like hearing brutal crap where everyone tries to top everyone else for speed, ending up sounding like a bunch of grindcore wannabes (another genre that has sadly, gone much the same way) and tech crap where everyone tries to top everyone else for guitar wankery. The bands that aren't brutal or technical are generally bland.

There are a few standouts, who I'll mention in a minute, but these bands aren't breaking any new ground and are generally revising early 90s material, but they're at least good fun to listen to and in some cases (think Dead Congregation, Necrovation among others) putting out material that could have come out in 92-94 and dominated just about anything. However, just because they are good doesn't mean they are innovative, and despite these occassional shows of greatness, I'm still obliged to believe that death metal is pretty much going nowhere. Sure, there are plenty of bands (Cephalic Carnage and Devourment coming to mind) that try and inject other genres into their music, but nobody that does that is creating something that anybody would want to imitate....

I'm well aware that I left out melodeath, I did that on purpose.

Anyway, some of the best bands out there today:
Dead Congregation
http://www.myspace.com/deadcongregation
Repugnant
http://www.myspace.com/epitomeofdarkness
Slugathor
http://www.myspace.com/slugathor
Necrovation
Hate Eternal
Throneum
http://www.myspace.com/throneum

The main problem is that while some of what's going on today is pretty cool, there's nothing that really makes you want to follow the genre. I'd prefer to sit on my ass all day downloading out of print stuff from the 80s and early 90s, ordering shit from eBay and tape trader sites every now and again, rather than walk into the local metal shop or some online distro and buy something new.

Anyway, discuss, and please provide modern death metal bands that would make me happy
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Well, every genre has bands that sort of just seem to release the same type of thing over and over. I guess it could be argued in this sense that many genres are stagnating. But i still like a lot of modern death metal and metal.
I disagree but I understand your reasoning.
However, prepare for 4,000 n00b responses of "zomg wtf r u talkin about cannibal corpse is liek still goin nd stuff"
I don't quite even understand what's the point of this thread but whatever hahha
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

i think as DM has to go towards those extremely brutal and technical sides of itself to keep fresh, and i dont agree its starting to sound like grind, there was a lot of overlap there from the start

but i do think there is some kind of stagnation, although personally i love deathcore too, which shows there is more possibilities even recently
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
DM doesnt only need to be brutal and tech to keep fresh. Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Cynic, Atheist all took the genre to a different place in their own way.
It's like any other sub-genre. Unless you're putting a new ingredient into the formula, you aren't going to stand out and you'll just be another in a stupidly long line of Death Metal bands sticking to the same old template.

A few bands in the past year or so have given me some faith though, mainly Mithras, Septic Flesh and The Monolith Deathcult. Whom have all recently released Death Metal albums that stand alone in vision and set themselves apart from the hordes for different respective reasons. Admiteddly, outside of thats theres nothing that makes me do backflips in the DM scene right now. The new Unleashed album is pretty solid, as are the latest Hate Eternal and Dismember releases, may check out the new Bloodbath and Demiurg releases, i'm not expecting a revelation from either though. But I often find myself not being bothered about the endless stampede of samey Death Metal releases outside of the names I can pick up on, and even then it might get a couple of spins and an 'OK' rating until it remains neglected in my music folder.

All in all, yes, it's getting stagnant, but theres always a few souls willing to step across the boundaries.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
It's like any other sub-genre. Unless you're putting a new ingredient into the formula, you aren't going to stand out and you'll just be another in a stupidly long line of Death Metal bands sticking to the same old template.

A few bands in the past year or so have given me some faith though, mainly Mithras, Septic Flesh and The Monolith Deathcult. Whom have all recently released Death Metal albums that stand alone in vision and set themselves apart from the hordes for different respective reasons. Admiteddly, outside of thats theres nothing that makes me do backflips in the DM scene right now. The new Unleashed album is pretty solid, as are the latest Hate Eternal and Dismember releases, may check out the new Bloodbath and Demiurg releases, i'm not expecting a revelation from either though. But I often find myself not being bothered about the endless stampede of samey Death Metal releases outside of the names I can pick up on, and even then it might get a couple of spins and an 'OK' rating until it remains neglected in my music folder.

All in all, yes, it's getting stagnant, but theres always a few souls willing to step across the boundaries.

I was never a fan of Unleashed or Septic Flesh. Dismember have come nowhere since the late 90s, and hate Eternal while still a great band compared to their contemporaries, are a shadow of their former selves. I should have mentioned Malevolent Creation but even they went a bit below-par with Warkult.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

I don't think death metal is getting stagnant. I think the death metal YOU like is getting stagnant, and you just happen to not have found anything since the '90's that has taken your interest.

For me, pretty much all the death metal I like has been written since the '90's; the genre has never been as varied and diverse as it is right now, and there's plenty for everyone. Bands like Disgorge and Inveracity are really coming into fruition (in light of their 'Extermination of Millions' CD). The new Decide CD sounds storming. The new Decrepit Birth CD is awesome. I could go on, but I don't just want to reel off a list of bands and CD's, so...
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Most of what I listen to is probably 91-96. As I've said, most of what I listen to post-96 emulates that period. I've heard tons of brutal death metal, tons of tech death, tons of deathgrind, nothing really delivers except bands from 10+ years ago. These days I'm mainly listening to old grindcore and powerviolence cos there's nothing in death metal...

Psycroptic is awesome and a lot of their riffage is pretty unique.
http://www.myspace.com/psycroptic

Psypheria have two albums, one of which I own and it's great. Like nothing I've ever heard before. DEFINITELY check them out. They have classical piano breaks and just really interesting elements in their music. Not the first band to bring in classical influences like this but I do believe they still stand out quite a bit.
http://www.myspace.com/psypheria

Maybe check out Skinless http://www.myspace.com/skinless
or Dawn of Demise as well. http://www.myspace.com/dawnofdemise

I'll post more in a bit.
Last edited by Stoner0405 at May 24, 2008,
I respectfully disagree.

Stagnant: Not moving or flowing; motionless

I'm gonna honestly say that I think that death metal is doing the exact opposite of stagnating. If you don't count the abomination that is 'deathcore', then death metal has greatly expanded it's musical horizons since the late 80's/90's. Not to say that old school 'true' DM is bad (it's pretty awesome most of the time,) but the late 90's/2000's have seen the emergence of immensely talented bands like Nile and Behemoth reach large popularity, while stalwarts like Cannibal Corpse and Immolation are churning out their most polished and technical material. Every genre of death metal (again, excluding deathcore and not counting old-school) has been responsible for a lot of killer music in the past few years. If bands in the death metal scene kept producing the same old-school sounding stuff for 20-some years, then that would be stagnating. Since the explosion of tech death, brutal death, and melodeath in recent years, DM literally cannot be stagnating, because of all the new material being produced. Whether or not material today is better is a matter of opinion, but stagnating? The scene is not.

My two cents.
I disagree, and I will state my case with several albums of the last decade that have both kicked massive amounts of arse and brought new things to the table

Mithras - Behind The Shadows...
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Opeth - Still Life
Decrept Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
Monolith Deathcult - Triumvirate
Monotheist - Unforsaken
In Vain - The Latter Rain
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

I could go on
Quote by unfathomable_bo
I disagree, and I will state my case with several albums of the last decade that have both kicked massive amounts of arse and brought new things to the table

Opeth - Still Life
Monotheist - Unforsaken
Behemoth - The Apostasy

I could go on

Excellent.
DM's best albums are all from 91-92.

As for newer stuff, Battalion are pretty solid. I also think that Hate are one of the elite bands in DM. They put out two really fresh, innovative, and crushing albums as of late, as well as a great solid standard DM album.

Theres too many people with an internet connection, a cannibal corpse album, and a myspace making generic br00tal death albums with BLASTBLASTBLAST GURGLEGURGLEGURGLE + gore artwork. Its pretty crappy.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by unfathomable_bo

Opeth - Still Life
Monotheist - Unforsaken
Behemoth - The Apostasy

I could go on

Yes! I thank you for making a thread on them, they kick major arse!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
In b4 "Death metal was always stagnant"

IMO, there's just only so far a genre can go. That's why you don't hear much traditional 80s style metal anymore, and is the reason there are so many complex subgenres in the first place.

Some have more longevity than others, for example thrash and melodeath never seem to get old; but other genres will just begin to sound tired after so long, and musicians will move onto greener pastures.
I don't think so. There are still a lot of fine bands that go forward and don't just copy off they're influences. But it just so happens that now there are many more fans of DM, which has lead to a enormous number of clone bands. Sure, things have slowed down sense the golden age of the 80's and 90's, but there is still a lot of good material coming out.
zomg wtf r u talkin about cannibal corpse is liek still goin nd stuff
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Vermintide
In b4 "Death metal was always stagnant"

IMO, there's just only so far a genre can go. That's why you don't hear much traditional 80s style metal anymore, and is the reason there are so many complex subgenres in the first place.

Some have more longevity than others, for example thrash and melodeath never seem to get old; but other genres will just begin to sound tired after so long, and musicians will move onto greener pastures.

Melodeath got old in 97 imo,with a lone Vehemence album and Arsis being about all that redeems it.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
Melodeath got old in 97 imo,with a lone Vehemence album and Arsis being about all that redeems it.

Haha, and Arsis redeem it in a pretty big way if you ask me
Quote by Riffmast

Intestine Baalism

By the way, fuck bands like CoB they aren't death metal.

^They're extreme power metal.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
<3 Intestine Baalism

melodeath talk... /join

www.myspace.com/inferimetal
www.myspace.com/asedenburns
www.myspace.com/warblade

though I havent come across too many that approach the "literal" meaning of it, those are a good example of a mix^^

Arsis didnt do anything for me at all :X

Oh yeah... Hacksaw to the Throat was pretty good as far as any permutation of melodeath goes
Quote by Phill-Rock
zomg wtf r u talkin about cannibal corpse is liek still goin nd stuff

I lol'd

Anyways, death metal may not progress all the time, but who cares? You can have points on either side, all that really matters is that there IS a death metal at all.

There's no need fix something that's not broken, ya know?

It doesn't need progression, because it's death metal. It is what it is.

In my opinion, that's all it needs to be.

With all that aside, the points that have been mentioned are quite good. I don't have anything else to elabroate on is what i'm saying...
I personally have never heard another band that reaches the sound of Spawn of Possession. The most gut-wrenching, mind-warping, brilliant brutal/tech. death metal band I've heard. Not boring at all, either (imo).
Quote by severed-metal
I lol'd

Anyways, death metal may not progress all the time, but who cares? You can have points on either side, all that really matters is that there IS a death metal at all.

There's no need fix something that's not broken, ya know?

It doesn't need progression, because it's death metal. It is what it is.

In my opinion, that's all it needs to be.

With all that aside, the points that have been mentioned are quite good. I don't have anything else to elabroate on is what i'm saying...

Yea, but there's nothing good happening. The progression that is being made is the bad sort...

Quote by MHDrunk
Yea, but there's nothing good happening. The progression that is being made is the bad sort...

There are bands out there that are still regenerating the sounds of the '90's, and there will always be bands trying to incorporate a '90's death metal feel into their music, just like there will always be bands that try to eminate an '80's thrash vibe (the "Golden Years" of the two genres). That's what you like in death metal. I think that you're expecting too much of the genre if you ask it to progress away from a sound that you like (which is hugely distinctive and unique) onto something different that you equally appreciate.

By the way, I'm not having a dig here. I'm just saying what I think, s'all
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
I just listen to the old, good stuff, and that tends to sate my need for true death metal. I agree, the genre hasn't developed a whole lot, and really not in a direction that appeals to me, so I just listen to the tried and true bands and leave it at that. I'll take Bolt thrower, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Obituary, and a few others and thats all I need thanks. I've never been a huge fan of the genre in it's authentic form though, so I suppose it's lack of innovation is of far less concern to me than to many of you.
Ha, I have like the polar opposite reaction that the TC is having. I usually can't stand 91-96 era DM, aside from the uber-classics. The tech 3 (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilience), Gothenburg (At the Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility), and Gorguts (especially the last 2 albums).
It's the same with 80's metal and old school thrash. Can't stand it, aside from a few albums.

The nogstaliga you are looking for is gone.

Death metal started out ass backwards and was a **** around genre like grindcore. No one really took it seriously (not that you should take any form of music too seriously). That might have a lot to do with it's "stagnation".

Seeing as I how I'm on the other side of the spectrum in this case, idk what bands to recommend you.
You could try out Arsis, The Faceless, Beneath The Massacre, BTBAM, Mauldin of The Well/Kayo Dot, Akercocke, Pan. Thy. Monium, Carnival In Coal, The Amenta, Atrox,
!T.O.O.H!, and countless others.

NOTE: I didn't specifically say death metal bands. They all have been influenced by death metal in some way or another.
I also provided that list to show that DM is anything but stagnant. They don't have as many avant-garde bands that black metal (ironically) tends to have, but DM is still diverse.

EDIT: There's a lot of grammer errors and I don't feel like fixing them. Just roll with it.
Last edited by Anno[fzk] at Jun 13, 2008,