so i'm positive but im pretty sure that the lower the bitrate of a music file, the smaller the size of the file and also the worse the quality of it. like 80% of my library is at 320kbps and the rest is around like 128-280 and all around between. So my question is, could i decrease the bitrate of the songs to make the files smaller? Whats the lowest i could go without really noticing much of a quality difference?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
so i'm positive but im pretty sure that the lower the bitrate of a music file, the smaller the size of the file and also the worse the quality of it. like 80% of my library is at 320kbps and the rest is around like 128-280 and all around between. So my question is, could i decrease the bitrate of the songs to make the files smaller? Whats the lowest i could go without really noticing much of a quality difference?

Yes, lower bitrate generally means lower quality/size. I like to have all my music at at leas 192 kbps - it doesn't bother many people to have it lower, but I can hear a noticeable difference.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
You can+it depends how good your speakers/stereo/whatever are. You could probably reduce them all to about 256kbps without too much noticeable loss of quality, unless you have some crazy ass audio kit
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Yes, you can decrease the bitrate of the songs to make them smaller. You just can't change the bitrate to increase the sound quality.
I honestly would go 192 - 256, but 128 isn't horrible.
hm, maybe ill convert everything thats above 256 to 256 and see how much more room that gives me. What program do i use to change the bitrate?
I use whatever LimeWire gave me. Usually 128 or 192
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by C.C. Deville
hm, maybe ill convert everything thats above 256 to 256 and see how much more room that gives me. What program do i use to change the bitrate?

Something like SUPER. http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html
link is at the bottom.
ok, now i wonder how im gonna have to go about the process of this, after i convert them will i have to readd everything back to itunes? or will it still stay the same file just the bitrate changed and me not having to re-add all my music
Quote by C.C. Deville
ok, now i wonder how im gonna have to go about the process of this, after i convert them will i have to readd everything back to itunes? or will it still stay the same file just the bitrate changed and me not having to re-add all my music

I think you can set that. But as default it copy's the other file and changes it. I'm not sure of Itunes, but with WMP11 it automatically adds it to the media library, and then you have two files of the same name, except one has another bitrate.
ah ok i've figured it all out... i just save the output to the same folder as the original then readd the folder with the new files and delete the old ones. this is gonna take forever X(