i'm going to amsterdam for a weekend in two weeks time for my stag nite. we will be basically hanging out in the coffee bars and so on.

can anyone recommend any bars in the centre with live music - last time i went we had a great time but didn't find any live music. i'm looking for classic rock - no metal or heavy stuff please!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i'm going to amsterdam for a weekend in two weeks time for my stag nite. we will be basically hanging out in the coffee bars and so on.

can anyone recommend any bars in the centre with live music - last time i went we had a great time but didn't find any live music. i'm looking for classic rock - no metal or heavy stuff please!

Hard Rock Café? I'm not sure if it's nice- my mother told me once it was a bit shabby. But other than that I don't know. Oh, and the Red Light District is near the Central Station ;p.

EDIT: for bars with live music... I'm not sure either, I don't think you have that much in Amsterdam. It's usually more in Den Haag (The Hague) and Rotterdam. The Hague is about 40 minutes with the train, Rotterdam is one hour. From Amsterdam.
Maybe the Waterhole at Leidseplein, I've been there a couple of times. It's pretty crowded but there is live music so maybe you could check that out.

^EDIT: And Hard Rock café isn't as cool as it sounds, I went there one time with friends but it's more like a restaurant than a bar/café.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Make sure you get some legal weed!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath

he even mentioned doing do in the original post.
Quote by black-sabbath

sure will. apparently there is going to be a smoking ban starting in holland from 1st july, it's gonna kill the coffee shops. looks like i'm going at just the right time.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
sure will. apparently there is going to be a smoking ban starting in holland from 1st july, it's gonna kill the coffee shops. looks like i'm going at just the right time.

ermh, no there isnt :P
you cant smoke in normal bar's and stuff
but the coffee shops are specialy for weed and sort, and will just stay that way..

do correct me if im wrong though
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Quote by dr_john

You're right, though it only applies to tobacco, and it's not even definite wether or not it's actually going to be applied.

I'm going to Amsterdam on July 20th and I can't wait.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Quote by dr_john

The coffee shops will never go it will crush the economy. People from all round the world travel to go to them, and you never find an empty coffeeshop.
True but it only applies to tobacco, so I can see it coming in the near future. Personally, I don't smoke tobacco, only pure weed, so it doesn't affect me at all, people will just have to smoke pure joints, and smoke tobacco outside or in a designated tobacco smoking area within the cafe.
Gear

It's all I need.

Last edited by SamTotman at May 24, 2008,
"Bourbon Street"

Or at-least that's what I think it's called, It has live bands from all over the place just ask around in cafes someone will now where it's located.

Found it: Leidsekruisstraat 6- 8
1017 RH Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Bourbon Street
Quote by Jyuuga
Hard Rock Café? I'm not sure if it's nice- my mother told me once it was a bit shabby. But other than that I don't know. Oh, and the Red Light District is near the Central Station ;p.

EDIT: for bars with live music... I'm not sure either, I don't think you have that much in Amsterdam. It's usually more in Den Haag (The Hague) and Rotterdam. The Hague is about 40 minutes with the train, Rotterdam is one hour. From Amsterdam.

there's more than one red light district you know, it's not one place

although the one near central station is where we went last time i went to amsterdam.

there's a bar somewhere in the centre, i can't for the life of me remember where, that plays live jazz. it's nice in there.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by GNR's Fan
"Bourbon Street"

Or at-least that's what I think it's called, It has live bands from all over the place just ask around in cafes someone will now where it's located.

Found it: Leidsekruisstraat 6- 8
1017 RH Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Bourbon Street

That looks pretty cool.

Anybody know the age limit to smoke cannabis in the coffee bars over there?
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
its called a coffee shop .. if you go to a coffee bar you'll only get high on granny-smell

EDIT: and don't bloody go to holland Belgium is the place to be

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Meh, I live there and it gets boring way too quickly...

I was always partial to Dan Murphy's and R&R on Leidseplein, but that was in high school... Don't go out there much these days, everybody left. I need to meet people.

But yeah Leidseplein is good.

Just do NOT go to the Bulldog coffee shop. It's a tourist thing. Go up Leidsestraat and two streets to the right there'll be a coffee shop called De Rokerij. It's a lot better.
Quote by esther_mouse
there's more than one red light district you know, it's not one place

although the one near central station is where we went last time i went to amsterdam.

there's a bar somewhere in the centre, i can't for the life of me remember where, that plays live jazz. it's nice in there.

Did you buy any weed there? In my opinion it's one of the highlights of going.
Gear

It's all I need.

thanks guys. Some useful tips for live music bars.

Let's hope the coffee shops will remain unchanged.
- Jimi Hendrix