Ok, well i probably seem like a total n00b asking this question, but i have an Ampeg SVT Pro 6 run the an Ampeg 610 HLF Cab. The head has an onboard compressor, but someone told me that you have to turn it up til the little red light doesnt flash anymore. However, when i turn it up that far, i really don't like the tone. Is it ok to let that light flash? I dont want to clip the amp
You dont have to compress at all if you dont like the tone it produces.
Usually on my amp I leave the compressor up to 4 max.
The red light is, as you say, a clip warning. It's a warning, not a target!

But yeah, I agree, hitting the red light rarely results in a good tone, whatever the amp. If you're getting it just flickering dimly, once in a while, then that's about as much as you want. IMO...
Try lowering the input gain a little.

This should also help reduce clipping, while leaving your tone alone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It depends. If it's a pretty constant light that flashes brightly when you play a note, you'll want to turn down the input volume. If it's just some flickering when you hit an exceptionally heavy note, then there's no trouble.
ok guys, thanks. i do, however really like the tone i get when it gets a bit overdriven, so i think i might keep the compression rolled off a bit.
Just be preapred to accept that doing that will mean it will need to be retubes more often, as it puts more stress on the tubes.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
first of all you need to know what a compressor is and what it does. If you turn your compressor all the way up, you won't have any dynamics left and your sound won't be so great. When used moderatly, you can make your sound more compact and less volume spikes (good for your amp). What setting it should be at depends on your way of playing. Mine is set on 2:1 for example.
When the red light if blinking, it means your amp is running out of headroom and thus clipping the sinewave wich doesn't sound great (unless you're looking for a distorted sound). When this is the case, just reduce the gain untill it stops clipping constantly and make up for the volume loss with the master.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...