Page 2 of 25
Quote by Freepower
I'd recommend them heartily except for the bit about anchoring.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/books/guthrie_govan/creative_guitar_2/index.html

Meh, in terms of pure technique I know what I'm doing, it's just the musical aspect and practice that I need...I'm going to have to buy those next time I get paid, do you have the first one too?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
^ very good on music, fairly good on practice stuff. Lots of cool stuff, tbh, that doesn't fall into easy categories.

Effin' A. Buying it next time I get paid for sure, cheers FP

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^ what is this book you guys are talking about??

Anyone else find "Waves" simply orgasmic??
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by seymour_jackson
^^ what is this book you guys are talking about??

Anyone else find "Waves" simply orgasmic??

Guthries opuses "Creative Guitar" and "Creative Guitar 2" available easily on Amazon and lauded by all who've read them.

And yes, Waves is pure ear sex along with the rest of Erotic Cakes, Waves, Ner Ner and Hangover are currently my favourite tunes.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Anyone find hangover feels more like the bit just before you get a hangover, when you know 'oh crap I'm about to be in alot of discomfort'
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
^ no, because I'm never hungover or about to be hungover . More to the point, why is it that the first time through the melody of slidey boy they double it with the bass (orgasmic) but not the other times?
Guthrie became enraged from someone moving in on his turf and proceeded to cheese breath - melt the bassist.

^
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by public property
Guthrie became enraged from someone moving in on his turf and proceeded to cheese breath - melt the bassist.

Noooooo! Not Seth! He's awesome!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.

Guthrie's pedalboard as of last thursday at The Fellowship gig in chelmsford, from what I can make out (the original picture is obviously a good sight better quality) he's using:

Analogman Chorus
Xotic AC Booster Preamp
Moonphaser
Menatone JAC JFet Audio Compression
Guyatone WR-3 Wah Rocker
Eventide Time Factor
Digitech Whammy, not sure if it's the WH1 or the WH4
Hermida Zendrive
Axess BS2 Audio buffer/splitter
Peterson Strobe Stomp Tuner
A pedal for the tap function on the eventide
The footswitch for his head, the pedal says RK-100 but he wasn't using that exact head that I could see
Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal

I don't recognize the Wah though and although it's obviously not part of his regular pedalboard he also has and used a Pigtronix Mothership Analog Synth.

All this running into a Cornford head...tone of god.

Also worth pointing out that Dave Kilminster turned up to play as well, there is no more fulfilling sight on guitar than watching Guthrie and Dave trade fours...and then getting Guthrie to sign my copy of Erotic Cakes. Twas a very good night.

Edit: Thanks to the ever-knowledgable Grif it has been determined that the wah is a Musician Sound Design Automagic Silver Machine Wah SM-2.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 20, 2008,
If only London wasn't so far from me

I never though his pedal board was quite so big (or messy) so thanks for the great pic
Quote by leeb rocks
If only London wasn't so far from me

I never though his pedal board was quite so big (or messy) so thanks for the great pic

London what now? It was in Chelmsford man...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
London what now? It was in Chelmsford man...

Bah I need to think more before I type
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
[
I don't recognize the Wah though and although it's obviously not part of his regular pedalboard he also has and used a Pigtronix Mothership Analog Synth.

The wah pedal is Automagic Silver Machine Wah.
Quote by Freepower
Count yourself lucky that you can meet your idol.

I seriously do man, I was having a serious fanboy moment while I was talking to him though...he probably thought I was a bit of a twat Still, I spent the whole second half until I had to leave standing basically a foot away from him...watching him like a hawk. You really don't realize how smooth his technique is until you see him in person...

Quote by Stratwizard
The wah pedal is Automagic Silver Machine Wah.

Yeah, edited my post shortly after posting it 'cos Grif seems to be able to find out ANYTHING...

Nice Fives video too dude, it's just a shame that Guthrie doesn't have any plans to tour the Erotic Cakes stuff again any time soon...

Oh and I neglected to mention the jazzed up version of Billie Jean they did...with rap solo by the guy who was playing keys...funny shit.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^Very jealous of you.

Although I would never want to live in that part of the world; I like where I am.

Seriously though, damn. That is a nice pedal board he's got there. I really want one of those Time Factors.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Oh and I neglected to mention the jazzed up version of Billie Jean they did...with rap solo by the guy who was playing keys...funny shit.

this sounds amazing
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
How would you describe Erotic Cakes; shred, Jazz-Fusion, a bit of everything?

Does he only have two books out (the creative guitar ones)? Or has he written more?
Quote by Zanon
So cmon, let's give this guy the credit he deserves. If you haven't heard him before, he's probably one of the best guitarists i've ever heard. I think he stands just below artists like Vai and Satriani, the only thing i knock him on is he has 1 album which was released a good 3/4 years ago.
Regardless... He is the UK's best

Myspace

Check him out, get his album Erotic Cakes

He blew his wa*8 pretty much on that one album too but he even said himself that he re wrote that album 30 times and re did it over and over and over over 20+ years until releasing it. Talk about really digging in and getting your point across. Does the next album comeout in the year 2043 then? LOL! Im sure wewill hear more soon. Just go to Youtube and it shows him jamming over backing tracks of all styles. great flowing chops . a bit over playing at times. but if you got it. hey let it shine right. Just good instrumental music thats it! really good . I like him . He is right there with satch and vai i think or close any way. Just not put in the same time or the same amount of touring albums such things. He teaches out of California I thought with Greg Howe at Tone Merchants or the UK where hes sfrom. I like those COrnfords too. Id like to try one some time even though im a VIntage Mashall player. It has the UK brit tone thats for sure. the CORNFORDS to me sounds like a welll tuned super fast picking attack 1981 JCM800 with an OD1 pedal to thin out the tone a hair and then pump the lows and chunky mids when needed. great amp. I seethem o FLea bay . I hear that Ritchie Kotzen model is a nice one to get. that and a Blackface 66 reverb would be a nice setup..

I run a couple of Marshalls that I AB/Y between. One Non Master Volume and one Master VOlume
Quote by tomohawkjoe
this sounds amazing

Serious lulz were had by all, it was amazing

Quote by Unledded
How would you describe Erotic Cakes; shred, Jazz-Fusion, a bit of everything?

Does he only have two books out (the creative guitar ones)? Or has he written more?

I would say EC is jazz-fusion but only because it's too jazzy to be rock and not jazzy enough to be jazz. Jazz lines and some jazzy songs but it's more like a Vai or Satch album in that it has more in common with rock at it's heart than real jazz fusion.

And there are only 2 Creative Guitar books.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Just got Erotic Cakes... It's flippin' awesome. :3
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Hey all you guthrie fans

Here are some awesome lessons by guthrie on some great techniques !

Tapping-http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY

Legato- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7LD46o13c

Sweep picking- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5816248891337689151

Alternate Picking- http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7426254653821210744

enjoy!
Last edited by bass wizard at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by bass wizard
Hey all you guthrie fans

Here are some awesome lessons by guthrie on some great techniques !

Tapping-http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY

Legato- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7LD46o13c

Sweep picking- http://video.google.com/videoplaydocid=5816248891337689151

Alternate Picking- http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-74262546538212107

enjoy!

Last two didn't work
yeah I agree but EC is so hard to catagorize as it has rock (fives and sevens) jazz (wonderful slippery thing) i'd just call it a fusion album, it has soo many catagories =]
Quote by Stratwizard
I don't think EC is anything close to jazz fusion at least when compared to his Fellowship stuff.

True indeed but it does share a lot of things with jazz that a standard rock album doesn't have, however I did say it's more like a Vai or Satch album in that it has more in common with rock that real fusion but it's too jazzy to be just "guitar based rock"

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Why not just put it under the genre "instrumental"...could even say guitar instrumental if you want since guitar is the main component.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah, edited my post shortly after posting it 'cos Grif seems to be able to find out ANYTHING...

Heh heh. Thanks zaphy.

^Instrumental Guitar is too broad of a way to describe an album/artist. Jeff Loomis's Zero Order Phase sounds nothing like Adrian Legg's Guitar Bones...
Erotic Cakes?

It's 'instrumental rock'. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything that has guitar and even the most basic drum beat is instrumental rock to me. If there's no drums but any other instrument, I call it 'instrumental'. I don't recognise genres like 'guitar rock', 'shred metal' or anything specific like that.

However, the point at which it becomes fusion is when the guitarist chooses to use weird-sounding phrasing a LOT - so far only Holdsworth, Gambale, Lane and perhaps Howe fall under the jazz fusion category for me. Guthrie isn't even close. Nowhere near being a fusion player, if EC is all we're going by.
Quote by DaFjory
Nowhere near being a fusion player, if EC is all we're going by.

True...if EC is all we're going by

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Says on the video its just a jam in D, which I'm willing to believe, that was however, a badass jam.