Page 3 of 25
Man, I didn't see this coming...

I've given EC another listen (not that I've listened to it much since downloading it, anyway), and certain things are starting to bug me for some reason. Firstly, some of the songtitles irritate the hell out of me - Wonderful Slippery Thing, Ner Ner, Uncle Skunk, Slidey Boy. I mean, I can deal with The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, but those ones sound fookin' dumb! I'm a stickler for songtitles that aren't just flat out lame... and those are.

And also, some of his melodies/phrases annoy me. For me, that very rarely happens with a guitarist. I dunno why. Eric is fookin' irritating beyond belief, and Waves bugs me because it sounds as if it's ripped off from Brett Garsed's Undoing. There's a few others that I don't remember now.

It's like, I want to like him, but so far nothing he's done musically has blown me away and made me want to hear more. Sure, his instructionals are out of this world and his chops are up there with the best, but that won't keep me coming back for more if his playing doesn't keep me interested. I want to hear something riveting, that sends a spark down my back or something. Every other guitarist in my collection has done that at some point - with ol' Guthers, I'm still waiting.
Its hard to find good musical inspiration when you come from a town like chelmsford...I live 10 minutes away so I know.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by DaFjory
Man, I didn't see this coming...

I've given EC another listen (not that I've listened to it much since downloading it, anyway), and certain things are starting to bug me for some reason. Firstly, some of the songtitles irritate the hell out of me - Wonderful Slippery Thing, Ner Ner, Uncle Skunk, Slidey Boy. I mean, I can deal with The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, but those ones sound fookin' dumb! I'm a stickler for songtitles that aren't just flat out lame... and those are.

And also, some of his melodies/phrases annoy me. For me, that very rarely happens with a guitarist. I dunno why. Eric is fookin' irritating beyond belief, and Waves bugs me because it sounds as if it's ripped off from Brett Garsed's Undoing. There's a few others that I don't remember now.

It's like, I want to like him, but so far nothing he's done musically has blown me away and made me want to hear more. Sure, his instructionals are out of this world and his chops are up there with the best, but that won't keep me coming back for more if his playing doesn't keep me interested. I want to hear something riveting, that sends a spark down my back or something. Every other guitarist in my collection has done that at some point - with ol' Guthers, I'm still waiting.

Check out Fellowship.
eeehhh...

Well, I tried the Fellowship album and was mucho bored. It sounded pretty much like Gambale's entire discography, but without the excitement. I'd heard it all before. Sure, I stand corrected - he can do fusion after all, but nothing's blown me away. I think for me to really get into him, he'd have to pull out an '80s-sounding shredfest and have me marvelling over some crazy fast shit.

Sorry guys. No need to make a space for me on the bandwagon anytime soon.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jan 17, 2009,
been listening to Govan for quite some time but i actually started learning some of his songs recently and this is exactly what i've been looking for to vary up my playing and stop sounding like a Gilbert clone

his improvs are simply amazing though, i can only guess as to how he does it.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I reckon I'll buy Creative Rock 1 and 2, but back on page 3 Freepower said-
I'd recommend them heartily except for the bit about anchoring.

I'm still going to buy the books, but what is the part about anchoring? I new to Govan's work, so I wouldn't know-does he anchor?
Aye, he anchors a bit and recommends to do so at the start of CR2. That's the only thing I'd disagree with, and me and Guthrie both show our reasoning, so you can make your own mind up about it.
I've watched him play alot and it doesn't appear he anchors at all...have you got a video that shows him doing it?

yup...exactly hes not anchoring there at all. His hand is floating up and down the bridge all the time hes picking.

I could see his pinky plant itself on the body a few times, but it's not tensed-up anchoring like MAB, 'Trucci, Morse or Mustaine.

With that said, his hand does look a little strange. But then, everyone seems to have their own 'look' for the picking hand.
his hand is f'ing huge and his picks very close to the strings, I think thats more of a space constraint than anchoring. Not specifically trying to defend guthrie, just saying what I'm seeing.

By huge I mean abnormal, I've compared my hand to his in real life (I have large hands) and it just doesn't look right.

More to the point, it's entirely possible to stop anchoring. Vai did it, it's possible Guthrie's changing his technique or something.

Anyway, like I've always said, some guys have huge hands and will end up touching the guitar with their pinky no matter what. Ditto for large hands making it easier to anchor and still play well.

If Guthrie anchors and recommends anchoring, that's perfectly fair, and he's shown his reasoning in Creative Rock 2 - basically that it steadies the hand for live preformance moving around. Indeed, I believe someone typed it up in the Random Shred Chat Thread
I watched the live waves video after I typed that and sure enough, his hand seems to move around less. Maybe it is just a stage thing and guthrie has already figured this stuff out and the entire combined knowledge of the shred forum pales in comparison to his...

Problem is it may well be true

Quote by DaFjory
Which begs the question - would unanchored Gilbert smoke him in a picking speed duel?

I haven't seen paul pick 7's at 160.

I dunno, I dunno... Gilbert doesn't ever really seem to play out of his comfort zone, and I've never seen Guthrie skip between high and low E at whatever ridiculous tempo Gilbert can...

That's a picking duel I'd love to see.
Quote by public property
I haven't seen paul pick 7's at 160.

Try and track down some of the old clinic vidoes of Paul from the 80s (MI or Annaheim) and in terms of sheer technique ( not necessarily extravangance or fusionesque note selection) Id say Paul smokes G.G. He was a frickin machine! Especially his 'same note one every string' lick.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by wil
Try and track down some of the old clinic vidoes of Paul from the 80s (MI or Annaheim) and in terms of sheer technique ( not necessarily extravangance or fusionesque note selection) Id say Paul smokes G.G. He was a frickin machine! Especially his 'same note one every string' lick.

I dunno man, I've seen both of them live and I have to say that GG obliterates almost everyone I've ever seen. Nothing against PG, his technique is incredible, but GG's ecnomomy of motion is just unbelievable in person; videos don't do it or him justice.

That being said I do know that GG can do those Scarified style string skips very well, whether he can do the bigger jumps or not I have no idea...I want to believe he can
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DaFjory
Which begs the question - would unanchored Gilbert smoke him in a picking speed duel?

In terms of pure speed, I think Govan would probably beat Gilbert.
I don't think I've seen Paul Gilbert ever really try to play fast since the 80s, and yet I'm sure he's playing better and better (and capable of faster speeds). I don't want to call it at all.
Quote by Freepower
I don't want to call it at all.

Living player -wise, throw MAB into the mix, then?
Last edited by DaFjory at Jan 21, 2009,
anyone played that sevens tapping section? for 8 fingered tapping its pretty easy

Quote by public property
anyone played that sevens tapping section? for 8 fingered tapping its pretty easy

Nah, I'm still working on being able to do completely legato ascending passages, bring the tapping into it just complicates matters right now

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
Pickless playing is brilliant. The main thing you have to do is develop your index fingers hammering ability and mobility, imo.

That's the problem indeed, the rest of my fretting fingers are strong enough and mobile enough to produce notes from nowhere with little effort but the index still takes too much effort for my liking.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Oh I've been trying to do pure left-hand legato for well over a year now, with high action to boot (and I don't intend on lowering my action until I change my 2 year-old strings and clean up the board!)

My hammers are rather wicked, but my pulls are lame - so I end up trying to do that Garsed/Holdsworth 'reversed hammer' thing, where you simply hammer backwards. But then, I don't know if it's the lack of amp gain or strength in my fingers; I just can't seem to make those backward-hammered notes sound out strongly at all... And I hate doing that sideways-pull thing with all fingers pre-loaded on the string.

I wonder if Guthrie has any tips on that stuff?
Well, I imagine the high action is a factor in that.

Guthrie in CR2 advocates the pre-load method, although he talks about the all hammers and can obviously do it, he doesn't have specific advice.

I know one UGer who has a good handle on it - do you know Tom, as in ProphetOfPage? He has that stuff down now after a few years and might have some tips, PM him and see if he'll respond here for us all to see.
I personally don't find the sound as pleasant as the pull-off and the sound can almost be mimicked by picking very gently. That said I also get why holdsworth hates the 'catish' sound.

Quote by public property

Yeah, it is. Actually, I practiced an example of 8-finger tapping from Creative Guitar, which was almost identical to the one in Sevens.
how do you finger the sevens lick? I start 1-3 on my right hand but it looks like the whole thing can be done 1-2 as well..

I start with my right hand's 3-1 and continue with left hand's 3-1, then right hand's 2-1 and continue with left hand's 2-1 and then the same as in the beginning. I don't remember what I do next.
Quote by public property
I personally don't find the sound as pleasant as the pull-off and the sound can almost be mimicked by picking very gently. That said I also get why holdsworth hates the 'catish' sound.

I love that sound! I also love Holdsy's sound too!

I legato!

!!!
I love the way legato sounds, but after spending the last 2 weeks changing my legato technique completely I'm beggining to hate it
Not to turn this into a mini Technique Forum, but I do much prefer the feel of dropped-on/reversed hammers (Holdsworth & Garsed) as opposed to the normal pre-loaded/meowing pulls. They both have their own sound and I like both depending on context, but I've always hated the feel of fumbling my fingers onto a lower string quickly, and then dragging them sideways along the string just to make a sound. The reversed hammer just makes so much more sense to me, even though I'm being a fool by trying to develop it using 2mm action and a clean channel...