Page 4 of 25
Quote by DaFjory
Not to turn this into a mini Technique Forum, but I do much prefer the feel of dropped-on/reversed hammers (Holdsworth & Garsed) as opposed to the normal pre-loaded/meowing pulls. They both have their own sound and I like both depending on context, but I've always hated the feel of fumbling my fingers onto a lower string quickly, and then dragging them sideways along the string just to make a sound. The reversed hammer just makes so much more sense to me, even though I'm being a fool by trying to develop it using 2mm action and a clean channel...

Clean channel is perfectly good man but...2mm...wtf? Torture much?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i think you've just been practicing legato too much, now learn super staccato stuff, and you'll be good, and ready for legato again...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Clean channel is perfectly good man but...2mm...wtf? Torture much?

Near when I first started playing I lowered my pickups, increased my guitars action by about 2mm and changed the strings to an 11 - 52 pack with a 13 for the high e.
My finger joints huuuurt.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
Near when I first started playing I lowered my pickups, increased my guitars action by about 2mm and changed the strings to an 11 - 52 pack with a 13 for the high e.
My finger joints huuuurt.

Then you're as crazy as he is! MADNESS, ALL OF YOU!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So 2mm is high? I've always thought it's considered "medium low" or something. All this time I've been under the impression that working on legato using non-silly low action was a good thing.

In which case, if I decided to drop my action now after nearly 2 years, would I suddenly find myself blitzing all over the place legato-style?
Quote by DaFjory
So 2mm is high? I've always thought it's considered "medium low" or something. All this time I've been under the impression that working on legato using non-silly low action was a good thing.

In which case, if I decided to drop my action now after nearly 2 years, would I suddenly find myself blitzing all over the place legato-style?

Possibly...I may just be confusing myself because I'm tired...

Leave me alone! I admit nothing! *runs away screaming*

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
I don't think I've seen Paul Gilbert ever really try to play fast since the 80s, and yet I'm sure he's playing better and better (and capable of faster speeds). I don't want to call it at all.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zssxnu2LdRY&feature=related
1987!!!
Not Paul's most musical playing but cleanliness...
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by wil

Well, that pretty much answers my question. He would smoke Guthrie even on a bad day.
Quote by Stratwizard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUJY6EV6eb8

Guthrie and Billy performing 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers. Good stuff...

Brilliant by GG and possibly the best stuff I've ever heard from Billy; in my opinion his playing is usually infinitely more tasteless...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Stratwizard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUJY6EV6eb8

Guthrie and Billy performing 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers. Good stuff...

It's a really brilliant performance there even if Billy does get a wee bit carried away at the end (although he has most definately done worse).

I don't get all the hate for GG's tone in that clip I think it's lovely.

Also nice to see hime really use the floyd on that suhr. Haven't seen him use it much before other than for subtle vibratos and such.
Quote by leeb rocks
Also nice to see hime really use the floyd on that suhr. Haven't seen him use it much before other than for subtle vibratos and such.

Last time I saw him live he had that guitar with him actually...can't remember if he used the floyd much at all...damn my pathetic memory!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Brilliant by GG and possibly the best stuff I've ever heard from Billy; in my opinion his playing is usually infinitely more tasteless...

Yeah, his improvisation surprised me too.
Haha what's the point? It's pretty dead around here anyway. Besides, the first time I tried to edit, it didn't let me for some reason.
Do you actually subscribe to threads? I remember doing that when I had just joined and I got an e-mail everytime somebody posted. I don't know why but I couldn't change that option and soon I had to get a new e-mail address.
Quote by Stratwizard
Do you actually subscribe to threads? I remember doing that when I had just joined and I got an e-mail everytime somebody posted. I don't know why but I couldn't change that option and soon I had to get a new e-mail address.

Only some, not band threads and the like generally.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
Lol, yeah, I auto-subscribe to everything I post in, and then I unsub to any ones I don't want to hear about (eg, pic threads).

How do you keep track of where you've been?

Forum posts on the profile page, sub-ing to everything would be bloody stupid...especially seeing as how I've turned into a bit of a pit-monkey of late

Stratwizard: Yeah, those Young Punx solos are pretty good, Drum and Bacharach is my favourite of them.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
^ shame on you. I basically never post in the pit.

Although when I do there's often this chorus of "WTF WHO THIS MOD?", lol.

I get basically no human contact in real life, leave me alone

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Waves is such a beautiful song in that it is one of the rare songs that is very difficult, yet still contains incredible melodies. Govan is up there with Satch, Vai and Petrucci and in many ways surpasses them.
So what do you guys think are his 5 strongest areas of guitar playing?

Mine would be his:

Tapping
Phrasing
Improvisation
Hybrid picking
and his ability to stay so modest yet so awesome.
Quote by bass wizard
So what do you guys think are his 5 strongest areas of guitar playing?

Mine would be his:

Tapping
Phrasing
Improvisation
Hybrid picking
and his ability to stay so modest yet so awesome.

His Legato, and alternate picking, of course.
His sweeping is also good, hell is there anything in his tecnique that fails?

USEFUL INFO:

The sweeping lesson from guthrie that I put in a post earlier has now been put on youtube in better quality!!! i'll post the link soon.
Last edited by bass wizard at Feb 19, 2009,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTaWSXOg850

I love this clip. Guthrie really shows how small subtle sounds can be so much better than over the top soloing. Just listen 4:50, awesome.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
I love the beginning when the drummer doesn't really when to come in and Guthrie and the bassist looks slightly confused. Notice how the bassplayer looks from Guthrie what note to play a bit later. Or at least that what it seems like to me.
Quote by bass wizard
His sweeping is also good, hell is there anything in his tecnique that fails?

Basically no, technically speaking he's one of the greatest players of all time and that's conveniently ignoring the awesome musicality of everything I've ever heard him do

Penn100: I've listened to that clip time and again since I found it a while ago...it never gets old...EVER.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Bloody hell Guthrie.

Why doesn't someone break his fingers and let the rest of us catch up a bit?

I ****ing love the chap. Might get to meet him this summer and then I'll be a step closer to my signed EC cd...
I'm considering going to his young punx gig next month...or maybe tommorow.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Last edited by public property at Feb 26, 2009,
Man you guys in europe or states are lucky,

No great guitarists, come waltzing into canada.

Other than are natural born jack semple
Quote by Freepower
Might get to meet him this summer and then I'll be a step closer to my signed EC cd...

Hah! Finally something I beat the almighty FP at! Met and signed biatch!

Seriously, every time I hear the man play it's...I don't know, I can't even explain it; he's just unbelievable. I think I'm going to have to hit the Fellowship in Chelmsford again some time soon, job be damned!

Edit: HOLY FUCK! I could go and see him on my birthday!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 4, 2009,
Hah! Finally something I beat the almighty FP at! Met and signed biatch!

I meant signed by all 4.

I'm only on one out of four (met Pete a few times), so I think you beat me anyway.
Well, You guys can have your signed Erotic Cakes....I'll see if Guthrie will sign one of his books when I see him at Freak Guitar Camp (according to Mattias Eklundh, he'll be a guest there). The other half of the reason I said that was to point out that I just got both the creative guitar books, and from an initial scan, they look like they'll be awesome.