Page 5 of 25
^True, but for what I wanted, 2 helped me alot. But also introduced me to the art of trasncribing(which i am truely thankful for)

I need the album in order for him to sign it....

O btw, Waves....NO GUTHRIE OVERALL =

FUCKIN' SEX
hue
Last edited by sock_demon at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by TheShred201
Well, You guys can have your signed Erotic Cakes....I'll see if Guthrie will sign one of his books when I see him at Freak Guitar Camp (according to Mattias Eklundh, he'll be a guest there). The other half of the reason I said that was to point out that I just got both the creative guitar books, and from an initial scan, they look like they'll be awesome.

Oh shut up you smug git

That settles it, I'm going to have to go and see him with The Fellowship again and buy him a pint...along with have a proper conversation with the man instead of gibbering like some kind of illiterate jelly...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Man, I've got to get my behind down to the bassement to see GG live..... it's killing me now!
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Its just a guess but wouldn't Martone go to Canada?

Yah occasionally but usually only in bc and the East( ontario, maritimes and Quebec).

If i wanted to scrap together a trip either places i would be homeless

He was in saskatchewan, but i missed the chance( damn corporate world of work)

And the last time i heard he was in calgary was 2002
Last edited by Jimi-is-god at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by sock_demon

I need the album in order for him to sign it....

O btw, Waves....NO GUTHRIE OVERALL =

FUCKIN' SEX

(Invalid img)

I know which one I'd rather feel up.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
(Invalid img)

I know which one I'd rather feel up.

You can have jesus, i'll take Leah, meet back here in six hours
hue
Quote by bass wizard
Man, I've got to get my behind down to the bassement to see GG live..... it's killing me now!

Yes! Come down on the 26th and you can buy me a birthday drink!

Jimi-is-god: Nice find; that guys got some chops!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He does this every week? I should go sometime, when I have more cash on my Oyster card. Someone'll have to buy me a lemonade, though - I don't drink.
One of my favourite guitarists ever. I have the erotic cakes and it is amazing. fives is my favourite track.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by DaFjory
He does this every week? I should go sometime, when I have more cash on my Oyster card. Someone'll have to buy me a lemonade, though - I don't drink.

lol I still have money on it from my last visit in London. Does it expire or something? I'm thinking I'm coming over there sometime during this spring or summer for a couple of days.
Quote by Stratwizard
lol I still have money on it from my last visit in London. Does it expire or something? I'm thinking I'm coming over there sometime during this spring or summer for a couple of days.

Nah, it doesn't expire. I had 50 pence on my card for about 5 months until I finally decided to top it up and use public transport again.

If you do decide to make a visit, give me a shout - I can brush up on my rusty Finnish.
Quote by DaFjory

Not every week; he often gets sidelined by other things like Guitar Breaks, The Young Punx, touring his solo stuff and so forth. Keep an eye on his myspace page for details, he's liable to cancel at quite short notice if something comes up.

Incidentally, last time I spoke to him I asked about touring the EC stuff and he said probably not for a little while

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
^ what guitar breaks does he do?

He doesn't do them very regulary at all and I've heard they sell out absurdly quickly.

Here's the details for the latest one he's doing but, being Guthrie, he does just about all the different kinds there are from basics up: http://www.guitarbreak.com/view-and-book.aspx

Going to one of his and a Dave K one would mean I can die a happy man...Dave is absurdly underrated.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Aye, but I've heard some interesting stories about him and his attitude to his pupils career advancement.

Zaphod is confused...please elabourate...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Where do you get his records?
I thought it was hard getting my hands on Buckethead and Gilbert records here in Sweden ( my latest Bucket CD cost me $35), but then I started my search for Erotic Cakes (which sounds quite weird when you put it like that). I've searched eBay, Amazon.uk, Amazon.com, CDon... but nuthin'.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to import it, does he have an independent label, like Buckethead works with TRDSmusic?
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
^ get it off Cornford Records.

As part of the degree course at ACM, the tutors are meant to aid students break into session work and find contacts in the industry. However, I've heard a few times that Dave K and other have snapped up the best contracts and leave the scraps to the students, when they are in fact being paid to forward that work to the generation they're meant to be tutoring.
Quote by Freepower
As part of the degree course at ACM, the tutors are meant to aid students break into session work and find contacts in the industry. However, I've heard a few times that Dave K and other have snapped up the best contracts and leave the scraps to the students, when they are in fact being paid to forward that work to the generation they're meant to be tutoring.

Interesting...not that I really care of course, I have no intention of making music a career; I just want to meet properly and learn from both of them

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He doesn't do them very regulary at all and I've heard they sell out absurdly quickly.

Here's the details for the latest one he's doing but, being Guthrie, he does just about all the different kinds there are from basics up: http://www.guitarbreak.com/view-and-book.aspx

Going to one of his and a Dave K one would mean I can die a happy man...Dave is absurdly underrated.

I find Dave K. to be a bit of a pompous twat to be honest-All the videos and tutorials Ive seen him do, he acts like he really does not want to be there. I bought his 'How to Play Fast' DVD in my formative years and found him--and his licks---to be totally uninspiring. Not to mention his sloppiness, crap tone and poorly tuned---but frockin' gorgeous--- pink tele .
I just dont think he's a great teacher and he seems to have a major chip on his shoulder that he's teaching the style of 'legends' while not being considered one himself.

On another note, anyone who likes Guthrie's Rhode Island Shred chicken-pickin type stuff should check out Steve Trovato and Scotty Anderson--you wont regret it.
Thank God im an atheist
Just a heads up for anyone in the greater essex area:

Guthrie will do doing a clinic at the grand opening of The Guitar Merchant in Colchester this saturday, if anyone apart from me and my mate John can make it I'd be interested to know...if not I'll try and get pics and junk

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I've only watched some of the videos of his playing on youtube and they always leave me speechless. Every aspect of his playing is so perfect. I want to play like that one day. Who doesn't though, haha.

I really need to get his album. I'm poor though.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Clinic was absolutely brilliant, Guthrie played Waves, Fives, Ner Ner, Wonderful Slippery Thing and......

EROTIC CAKES ON A FRETLESS VIGIER!

Just when I thought he couldn't get much more madly brilliant he goes and pulls that out of the bag...bastard, I love him <.< He also played the main section of Rhode Island Shred on it but didn't have the backing track so didn't play the whole thing.

Oh and Ner Ner was at my request ^_^

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
You're a lucky bastard to be on the same landmass as him.

Well at least you can count yourself luckier than say...the americans XD

Edit: I haz videoz yo! Guthrie specifically asked that we don't upload to youtube though so...sorry, I can't betray my God.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 21, 2009,
He was awesome at the guitar merchant today
First post in here too I believe... bwhaha

*Is John - Zaph's friend *
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 21, 2009,
Hey John!

I haz videoz yo! Guthrie specifically asked that we don't upload to youtube though so...sorry, I can't betray my God.

Obviously not. I'll ask him if I can upload the sick jams with him and IA and try and make up for it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Hey quick question if anyone knows. I think it was either him or Ron Thal, but one (or both?) of them can supposedly play songs instantly just from hearing them. Anyone know?

They probably both can. I bet they have insane aural skills.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by beadhangingOne
Hey quick question if anyone knows. I think it was either him or Ron Thal, but one (or both?) of them can supposedly play songs instantly just from hearing them. Anyone know?

I would not be in the least bit surprised if they both could, all at the same time nothing and everything about their playing surprises me every time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i think guthrie said that ron has perfect pitch. so probaly ron. but guthrie obviously has an amazing ear as well- doesn't he transcribe the stuff for GT on the subway on the way to the office? lol
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
i think guthrie said that ron has perfect pitch. so probaly ron. but guthrie obviously has an amazing ear as well- doesn't he transcribe the stuff for GT on the subway on the way to the office? lol

I would imagine he might do some of the easier stuff that way... if he had an office to go to

But I supremely doubt he did his recent transcription of Shawn Lane's "Get You Back" that way

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.