3 21%
PAF Pro
2 14%
Super Distortion
4 29%
Evolution
5 36%
Voters: 14.
Ibanez RG1570, Replacing Neck and Bridge Pickups, using it for 80's Hair Metal and Shred Instrumentals. Examples of bands are

-Skid Row
-Whitesnake
-Racer X
-Mr. Big
-Poison
-Steve Vai
-Paul Gilbert
-Satriani

Neck Pickup ive decided on is a DiMarzio Evolution. I was going to get one for bridge position as well, but it seems to smooth for most rock. i Want something that is really good for hair metal Leads/Rythm. Not a lot of bass. Breeds arent my kinda thing

Which Bridge Pickup?
- DiMarzio Tone Zone
- DiMarzio PAF Pro
- DiMarzio Super Distortion
- DiMarzio Evolution

EDIT: An Example of the Tone i want is the Solos from Never Enough - LA Guns, and talk Dirty to Me - Poison.
Last edited by Tubyboulin at May 24, 2008,
The Super distortion was popular in those days, but it's important to keep in mind that a high-output neck pickup like the Evo would require an even higher output bridge pickup for optimal volume/sound. You could get away with a tad lower output but the PAF's I would count out on the spot, even if they do sound great they're not the best match with the Evo.

I'll just do as usual and recommend the Steve's Special, I think you'd love it.
^ Steve's Special Seems Kinda nice, im not to sure about the heavy Bass/ low Mids thing though. ill deffinitly keep it in mind though, Thank you

i was also a bit Skeptical about the PAF Pro, its just im not using the pickups together ( Evo for Shred like Steve Vai, DragonForce) And the Bridge For the Hair Metal. i kinda forgot about output issues though.
Quote by Tubyboulin
^ Steve's Special Seems Kinda nice, im not to sure about the heavy Bass/ low Mids thing though. ill deffinitly keep it in mind though, Thank you

i was also a bit Skeptical about the PAF Pro, its just im not using the pickups together ( Evo for Shred like Steve Vai, DragonForce) And the Bridge For the Hair Metal. i kinda forgot about output issues though.

Well for distorted rhythm playing you'd probably use the Bridge pickup regardless of genre. Pretty much 99.9% of all rock and metal rhythm playing is done with the bridge pickup. I won't recommend trying to get pickups optimized for one genre each, it won't at all be practical. Either you: a) Get a versatile set up pickups that can handle all your styles, or b) get another guitar and set them up for the different styles.

That said, most pickups are rather versatile anyway, so you're not selling yourself down the river if you get a pickup that has a slightly lesser emphasis on treble than you'd have liked. You probably won't hear it anyway, and you can most often compensate with your amp's eq.

Besides, there's not a huge difference between 80's metal and shred as far as equipment goes.
^ WHen i say Vai and Satch and stuff, im usually refering to the Lead tones only. The 80's R ythm sound and their Rythm isnt to Different usually Anyways, Though Vai seems to tune down quite a bit. I Will still use the Bridge in shred Songs, and the neck in some Hair songs. i was kinda generalizing where i would use each most often.

Do you know any Guitars that come Stock with a Steves Special? Sound Clips are nice but its kind of hard to tell just from them alone. i Know Petrucci had one in his old Signature model.
Quote by Tubyboulin
^ WHen i say Vai and Satch and stuff, im usually refering to the Lead tones only. The 80's R ythm sound and their Rythm isnt to Different usually Anyways, Though Vai seems to tune down quite a bit. I Will still use the Bridge in shred Songs, and the neck in some Hair songs. i was kinda generalizing where i would use each most often.

Do you know any Guitars that come Stock with a Steves Special? Sound Clips are nice but its kind of hard to tell just from them alone. i Know Petrucci had one in his old Signature model.

Well they used to be Vai's signature pickups, him being the Steve in "Steve's Special". But yeah every Dream Theater album ever except the latest is the Special, and his signature guitars also have one in them. So if you find a JP guitar somewhere it's that pickup.