My problem is, since I'm primarily a bassist, but I also play acoustic guitar a lot, that whenever I play electric, I bend the strings way too much, whether I'm playing chords or single notes. I figure this is because with bass and acoustic, the stings are harder to push down because they're thicker and farther away from the fretboard, and that I've adapted to having to push harder. So does anyone know a solution to this problem? Could I get newer and thicker strings that wouldn't be quite as flexible, or how can I raise the nut or bridge so that it would make the strings stiffer when I fret a note?
Last edited by food1010 at May 24, 2008,
to raise the action you can raise the saddles. usually some screws are attached to them. and buying thicker strings will help too.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
To answer your questions, yes you can buy thicker string gauges and raise the height of the strings off the fretboard.
What kind / wound are on your guitar right now?
I'd go for something like a 0.10 or 0.11 set, perhaps a hybrid set by Ernie ball for example (Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky comes to mind).
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
Quote by Retro Rocker
Or just stick with what you have and learn to have more control over your fingers?

But I play bass, and even on guitar, thicker strings get a better tone if you can use them.
And I want something a little bit less than that so do you think 0.11 would be good? Or would it be a bit less stiff on electric because the strings are closer to the fretboard?
Last edited by food1010 at May 24, 2008,
lolbassist

/pit answer

Dunlop makes some good thick strings. And you can adjust anything on a guitar
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?